Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #916
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433

speakin of twins... P11 lower end set up with 750 cammando cylinders and heads. lucas mag. sits in a highly modified cammando frame. An old flat tracker out of kansas city , searched out his old "red line norton" set up the cammando frame to red line specs. ... i was lucky enough to snag it of of e-bay and am ready to run. Vintage Pro Twin class NFTRAdotcom wichita... wish me luck
kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #917
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433

.pic of the front motor mounts, and ..bator forks off of a bultaco (thumbs up) baby. anybody have an idea what model the finned forks would be offa?
kk#38
kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #918
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c
Kel Caruthers was one of the best builders/tuners of the day. He's one of the largest factors in King Kenny's domination of the sport.
I think I've posted this in this thread before but I'm not sure. anyway I think I see Kel C listed on one of these shirts. I can pick out most of the MX guys but can only get the most obvious of the rest of these varmints. anyone want to have a go at who's who?

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #919
OldTimeBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Well...The MX guys are the ones I would have the most trouble with.
In the center of the picture, the fellow with the white hair on either side of his otherwise bald head is Kel Carruthers, to the left in the photo is Giacomo Agostini, and to the right of him is Kenny Roberts. Kenny has his hands on Wayne Rainey in the wheelchair, with Valentino Rossi left of Wayne and Colin Edwards to his right, both kneeling. Behind and between Kel and Kenny is Gary Jones. I can't find Eddie Lawson, so I'm assuming he's the guy in the back row whose face you can't see. The second from the right in the first row standing is Don Emde, and that's Broc Glover in the back row next to Eddie Lawson or whoever that is with their face obscured. The last that I can positively identify is Jeff Emig to the left of Valentino Rossi, kneeling.
I could guess at a couple of others, but the ones I've named I'm sure of.
C'mon someone...who are the rest of these great motorcycle racers?
OldTimeBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #920
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker
Well...The MX guys are the ones I would have the most trouble with.
In the center of the picture, the fellow with the white hair on either side of his otherwise bald head is Kel Carruthers, to the left in the photo is Giacomo Agostini, and to the right of him is Kenny Roberts. Kenny has his hands on Wayne Rainey in the wheelchair, with Valentino Rossi left of Wayne and Colin Edwards to his right, both kneeling. Behind and between Kel and Kenny is Gary Jones. I can't find Eddie Lawson, so I'm assuming he's the guy in the back row whose face you can't see. The second from the right in the first row standing is Don Emde, and that's Broc Glover in the back row next to Eddie Lawson or whoever that is with their face obscured. The last that I can positively identify is Jeff Emig to the left of Valentino Rossi, kneeling.
I could guess at a couple of others, but the ones I've named I'm sure of.
C'mon someone...who are the rest of these great motorcycle racers?
Uhh, you know these guys as in they know you and stuff?
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #921
nachtflug
infidel

standing far left is Pierre Karsmakers. the other tall guy in the back besides Glover is Mike Bell. I think...

3rd from the right standing with hat 500 National MX champ Rick Burgett.

Marty Moates to his right shoulder. Doug Henry to his left shoulder.

Chad Reed front kneeling left.

I'd like to know who front kneeling right and the two "older" gents to Burgetts immediate left also.

wheres Bob Hannah...
Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #922
OldTimeBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

No...sorry, I didn't intend to give the wrong impression. It's not like I've hung out with them. I have, many years ago, been entered in the same race meet with a couple that were dirt trackers, and maybe even been on the track with a couple of them where they soundly trounced my behind, and a few I have met and spoken to, but by "know" I meant I recognized them.
I'm in Chicago. Back in the '70's and early '80's we had a weekly program of professional motorcycle races at a south suburban facility...Santa Fe Speedway. Every Wednesday night all summer long from week to week some of the biggest names in motorcycle racing would stop by Santa Fe to pick up some pocket cash. Twice a year, Howard Teidt, the owner and promoter at Santa Fe, would hold a National Championship race. A TT in June and a Short Track in August. On the Wednesdays before the Nationals, that were always held on Frday nights, the whole National tour would be at Santa Fe to pick up some cash and get tuned up for the upcoming National. Us local guys would get to hang out a little and "party" with the big boys and race against them too...After all...it was the '70's!

OldTimeBiker screwed with this post 04-15-2008 at 04:27 PM
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #923
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
True dat.

I got to see the TZ750 run at the San Jose Mile. It was just fucking awesome. The sound alone was enough to give me goose bumps. Friggn mega tire spin with the grooved road race tires, it would hook up and the front end would raise up and the bike would kinda torque over a bit. KR would then fly by everyone and he would then do everything he could to shut it down and set up for the turn, hang on for dear life throught the middle of the turn and then light it up for the next straight.

I was at Del Mar when the bike was last ridden, but for some reason the bike ran like crap and it couldn't really show its potential.

But the sound, the sound, I'll never forget the sound. It was the greatest thing I've ever seen and heard, ever.
My recollection from that they had two of the TZ's that weekend at Del Mar (1998?) and the Springsteen rode one bike and Roberts rode the other. Robert's bike ran like crap and never really got going. Springer (?) did a lap or two on the other one but played it safe through the turns. Maybe that's were I got the notion that Springsteen had ridden the bike in the '70s.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #924
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
My recollection from that they had two of the TZ's that weekend at Del Mar (1998?) and the Springsteen rode one bike and Roberts rode the other. Robert's bike ran like crap and never really got going. Springer (?) did a lap or two on the other one but played it safe through the turns. Maybe that's were I got the notion that Springsteen had ridden the bike in the '70s.

Doug
That very well could be, I only remember being very dissapointed with KR not being able to clean it out and get it on the pipe.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #925
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Speaking of big bore twin cylinder dirt bikes...The XR 750 Harley Davidson has been in production since 1971...AND is the winningest racing motorcycle in the history of motorcycle racing!
Guess thats not hard to do when you have a whole class structured around it
Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #926
OldTimeBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305racer
Guess thats not hard to do when you have a whole class structured around it
The racing wasn't structured around the bike...the bike was built for the racing from the drawing board to the checkered flag. It's not Harley-Davidson's fault if the other manufacturers have ALL tried to adapt motorcycles designed for other purposes rather than design specifically to the sport as they did.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #927
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
FUCK Harley Davidson. They killed the Grand National Championship Series. The reason they can claim they won everything is that they were responsible for running everyone else out.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #928
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Xr

Quote:
It's not Harley-Davidson's fault if the other manufacturers have ALL tried to adapt motorcycles designed for other purposes rather than design specifically to the sport as they did.
Yes, but when Honda started spanking Harley with the "purposely designed" RS-750 they were soon faced with restrictor plates and a 20 lb weight handicap for having the audacity to beat Harley. And everyone wonders why other brands aren't jumping into the flat track game right and left!
Can't imagine why AMA!

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #929
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
The racing wasn't structured around the bike...the bike was built for the racing from the drawing board to the checkered flag. It's not Harley-Davidson's fault if the other manufacturers have ALL tried to adapt motorcycles designed for other purposes rather than design specifically to the sport as they did.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #930
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
I'd like to know who front kneeling right
That looks like Jamie James.

Third from right that is kneeling, beside Rainey is Colin Edwards.

Also looks like Randy Imola in the center of the photo with his head turned to his left.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote