Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #1291
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,318
and speaking of CZ's I'm really jonesing for one these days, and this is the model I want. good luck right? it wasn't for sale but it was at the AMCA meet in Rhinebeck/ Dutchess County Fairgrounds June 13-14.

I want it.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #1292
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
and speaking of CZ's I'm really jonesing for one these days, and this is the model I want. good luck right?
What a freakin' beast. You can still see a bit of the orange paint I think.

I shared a ride on one with a friend of mine on his dad's orange tank 360. Besides getting burned on the up-pipe it was a hoot. We were taking turns riding it in a 4 hours hare scramble at Singler's racetrack in Medina Ohio. Jayce wasn't all that comfortable on the bike (it was way too tall for him, not to mention it weighed about 3 times what he did and twice what I did) so he ended up smoking the clutch (it's a dry clutch) in one of the deep mud spots. But boy did we have fun. It was so heavy that to get it to cross up over a jump you had to fling it with your body... and then plan on coming down with the throttle WFO in order to get it straight again because there wasn't a f'n chance in the world anyone less than 200 pounds was going to straighten it back out in the air.

Jayce's own bike was an Ossa 175 Stiletto, the flat tracker that they slapped a 21" wheel on and sold as an MX bike. What a cool freakin' bike that was. If I remember correctly it shifted on the right.

Not nearly as confusing to shift as another friend's bike from that era. I think it was a Kawasaki 100, but not sure... neutral was at the bottom of the shift pattern. Stomp down one too many times going into a corner and you were freewheelin', like it or not!

This is still one o' the best threads on advrider... I've got to go gargle with about a gallon and a half of premix now, all choked up on nostalgia. (wipes tear from eye... f'n up pipe CZ, powerband a f'n mile wide... weighed as much as the f'n pickup truck it was riding in... gotta find me a f'n coffin tank one... f'n A...)
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #1293
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 565
Thumb

Quote:
so there is a CZ on EBay and the guy says its from Marty Tripes collection. He also lists this link to this website.

Some FANTASTIC photos in the photo section. Check out the Mid Valley Cycle Reunion.

Awesome photos I can't believe I never saw this website before.

http://www.vintageworksbikes.com/zmxphotos.html

I looked through the section on the Mid Valley reunion. What a trip it would have been to be there.

Andy DeLatorre was one of my customers when I was rep'ing for Uni-Filter in the early '70s. I had about 136 dealers on my route and only a handful are memorable. Mid Valley would be at the top of the good memories list and not because Andy bought much (he didn't) but because the guy knew how to run a motorcycle shop the right way. The shop was always spotless, well stocked and Andy knew his stuff (understatement). When I asked him the secret of his success he said simply "At my shop the customer is always king." Then he launched into a mild rant about shop owners who don't keep up their store's appearance, the importance of keeping the shop spotless, presenting the products well, knowing your product and so on. Although I only visited his store every two weeks or so I learned an awful lot about what makes a small business a success just from talking to Andy and observing how he did things. I'm glad to see that Andy DeLaTorre is still around and obviously well remembered by the motocross community.

Doug
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #1294
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 917
I remember Kenny Zahrt with a Mid Valley jersey...
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #1295
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 917
Great stuff! There was a great old CZ in my DVD...and I can still hear the sound of that two-stroke bark! Looking at some of those photos brings it all back!

Kent
www.backtrackvideo.com
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #1296
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
As a kid I used to live in the west valley and a trip to Mid Valley CZ might as well have been a trip to Disneyland. I can remember going in there and seeing a row of yellow tank CZ's and just dreaming and thinking if I could ever save enough $$ to buy one.
Does anybody remember the exact address of the shop as I am in the process of revisiting all they shops that I loved to go to as a kid?
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #1297
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtahoe
As a kid I used to live in the west valley and a trip to Mid Valley CZ might as well have been a trip to Disneyland. I can remember going in there and seeing a row of yellow tank CZ's and just dreaming and thinking if I could ever save enough $$ to buy one.
Does anybody remember the exact address of the shop as I am in the process of revisiting all they shops that I loved to go to as a kid?
I am about a quarter mile from there as we speak. Balboa and Saticoy, don't know the address. Never went there either, but I do remember driving by as a kid and seeing the bikes. Steve's Bultaco was about a mile in the other direction, Van Nuys Blvd and Saticoy. Used to go there to look at bikes (couldn't afford one, window shopping was free).
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #1298
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:

now that we've established the coolest shot ever posted on advrider we can start figuring out which one is second coolest.

Here's my vote, posted by me somewhere here!
(don't start posting more of your ACE MX shots or this debate will rage on for years)

Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #1299
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
I am about a quarter mile from there as we speak. Balboa and Saticoy, don't know the address. Never went there either, but I do remember driving by as a kid and seeing the bikes. Steve's Bultaco was about a mile in the other direction, Van Nuys Blvd and Saticoy. Used to go there to look at bikes (couldn't afford one, window shopping was free).
Thanks, I did remember Steve's as I had a Bultaco, but had forgotten about it until your post. I would come from Canoga Park and always spend too much keeping that Bul going, but it was fast and could hadle well. I will visit on my next trip to the Valley. I used to do a lot of window shopping too. I do remember Mid Valley being a small narrow store maybe I can figure it out when I am down there. Sort of like motorcycle shop CSI.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #1300
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Here's my vote, posted by me somewhere here!
(don't start posting more of your ACE MX shots or this debate will rage on for years)

Here's my nomination from Terry Good's collection. Joel Robert on a CZ.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #1301
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
^ That looks painful!!

I like this one of Roger DeCoster doing the cross up - yee haw!

ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #1302
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Iíve been having so much fun with what Iíve learned so far! I was helping my husband out in the garage last week and was standing next to his KTM and just happened to look at stamping on the KTM's silencer which read: KTM-Krizman. Itís cool to look at a name and understand some of itís history.

Thanks again everyone for all the contributions. I love this thread and refer to it often.
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #1303
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtahoe
Thanks, I did remember Steve's as I had a Bultaco, but had forgotten about it until your post. I would come from Canoga Park and always spend too much keeping that Bul going, but it was fast and could hadle well. I will visit on my next trip to the Valley. I used to do a lot of window shopping too. I do remember Mid Valley being a small narrow store maybe I can figure it out when I am down there. Sort of like motorcycle shop CSI.

Thanks
I'll try to get a pic of the building now. Really doesn't look much different than it used to.

Being a former Bultaco owner, do you remember West Valley Sportcycle/Horizons Unlimited on Ventura Blvd? I used to ride my bike down there and put fingerprints on the bikes until they would throw me out of the place My bitch stepmother worked right across the street, and if she would have caught me that far from home on my bike she would beat the shit out of me, so I would hide my bike behind the shop and sneak in to the place hoping I wouldn't be spotted
Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1304
Motorcycho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
monkey butt

I LOVE old dirtbikes! Itmay have been mentioned already (havent been thru all 88 pages yet) but if your into old dirt then you have to read "Monkey Butt" by Rick Siemans. One of my all time favourite books!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #1305
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
I'll try to get a pic of the building now. Really doesn't look much different than it used to.

Being a former Bultaco owner, do you remember West Valley Sportcycle/Horizons Unlimited on Ventura Blvd? I used to ride my bike down there and put fingerprints on the bikes until they would throw me out of the place My bitch stepmother worked right across the street, and if she would have caught me that far from home on my bike she would beat the shit out of me, so I would hide my bike behind the shop and sneak in to the place hoping I wouldn't be spotted
I practically lived there myself. A lot of fast guys used to hang there. I used to drool over the CZ's Buls etc. Do you remember all the used bikes they had for sale? Always something cool. At some point they went out of business and it has been and I still think its a printing shop. Riding your bike from Balboa to Horizons Unlimited shows real committment I thought I was the only crazy kid on a schwinn.

I used to live on Fallbrook and Saticoy so Horizons, Kolbe Honda (used to love to see the Rickmans) and International Yamaha (Canoga Avenue )were on my regular circut of shops.

I would love to see a picture of the mid valley building. If you get a chance.