ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #121
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonridn
was that the guy in san pedro? i had one of the first snake pipes at saddleback on my 75' 250 pursang. looked cool.
The guys name is Roger Sanderson, and at the time his shop (called Pipeworks) was located in Dominguez Hills. Where he had the famous desert ace Tommy Brooks building snake pipes, (Tommy & his brother Cordis, both used them on their factory supported Pursangs). Roger relocated to Long Beach about 20 years ago and the shop is now called Pipeworks Fabrication doing mostly custom aluminum and stainless steel fab.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #122
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 46,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The worst open class two stroke to ever hit the dez was the 400 cc Suzuki Cyclone. Stupid "light switch" power band and ZERO handeling. Most of the time the bike broke before it could kill anyone.
again, a bike that I believe left a bigger footprint out west than in the east.

bringing about $5K these days restored on EBay. At least the ones done right, and given the rarity of the 1971 Orange one, I'd say that is fairly cheap compared to some other bikes. Not many but some. Well OK 2, the strap tank YZ's and the 490 Maico's.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #123
TREE
Interloper
 
TREE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 3,302
Yeeeeehaw !























__________________
" Never look a gift bike in the sprocket . "

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz

TREE screwed with this post 01-25-2008 at 11:34 AM
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #124
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gonridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the comstock! "Home means Nevada"
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The guys name is Roger Sanderson, and at the time his shop (called Pipeworks) was located in Dominguez Hills. Where he had the famous desert ace Tommy Brooks building snake pipes, (Tommy & his brother Cordis, both used them on their factory supported Pursangs). Roger relocated to Long Beach about 20 years ago and the shop is now called Pipeworks Fabrication doing mostly custom aluminum and stainless steel fab.
i don't recall the name of the pipe maker. it was done at a shop called DMG, in san pedro. same general area. maybe.
just saw Cordis"s name in the results from a district race in cycle news.
riding in the Magnum class now.
__________________
"Life is meant to be a never-ending education, and when this is fully appreciated, we are no longer survivors but adventurers."
-David McNally
gonridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #125
TREE
Interloper
 
TREE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 3,302
FLUG !

TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #126
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,851
This was an ad photo taken at El Mirage dry lake. Jim Odom was a factory sponsored roadracer with Suzuki at the time. This was taken about the same time as "On Any Sunday" was being filmed. Bryon Farnsworth worked for Cycle Magazine and later went on to work for Kawasaki. Bryon raced a lot of District 37 scrambles at the time and rode as "Clutch Cargo". I raced as "Bob Roberts" due to the attitude around Suzuki about employees racing.
Chris Young worked in the Service Shop and later the Roadrace shop. Chris later left and went to work for Kawasaki as Art Baumann's mechanic. Bud Parker was a Service Shop employee and tuned for the Roadrace team. He went on to the Warranty Dept. later move to Atlanta as a Field Service Rep. Later, Bud ran the Service Shop at Yamaha International and I worked with him there.

__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/

Valleyrider screwed with this post 01-25-2008 at 02:15 PM
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #127
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
again, a bike that I believe left a bigger footprint out west than in the east.

bringing about $5K these days restored on EBay. At least the ones done right, and given the rarity of the 1971 Orange one, I'd say that is fairly cheap compared to some other bikes. Not many but some. Well OK 2, the strap tank YZ's and the 490 Maico's.


Like the add says, "a BIT of nerve." A BIT! Thats laughable. Those things are unrideable. If there is a bike that handles worse than an early Kawashitty its a TM400!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #128
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
O.K. i have to jump in. Let me first say, I was never there! I'm 18, so certain factors that I had no control over didn't permit me to take part in this sport during its glory days. However I have amassed a large photo collection, and in conjuction with the old man have got quite a few bikes too. He was the inspiration.

My father raced in Canada every weekend from 71 to 79 and then off an on from 83-89. He was sponsored by Maico in 76 and Kawasaki in 78. He started on a Hodaka Super Rat in 71, then a 72 CZ 125, 73 CZ 250, 74.5 GP Maico, 76 Maico, 77 Can Am, 78 Kawasaki, back to the Can Am and that was it.

He was ranked between 2 and 3 in Canada in the 250 pro class in 1977. 1978 speeled the end with a sponsorship from Kawasaki. The bike was a piece of shit and it came and a critical time, when a succesful year would have spelt going to Europe to compete.

On a sidenot he raced and travelled with a guy named Zoli Berenyi Jr. from Edmonton AB. Zoli Sr. also raced and they are both still racing. Sr. is 72, Jr. is 48. They both competed at the Glen Helen vet championships this year and won they're respective classes. Jr. won the plus 40 pro and Sr. won the plus 70 expert, his 7th consecutive win!

Anyway I know quite a bit of MX history and hopefull help answer sme of these questions. But I have to warn you my bias is that 3 things ruined MX:
1. Water Cooling
2. Triples
3. Japanese Manufacturer Promotion (i.e. the whoring out of Dirt Bike magazine and other similar publications)

Heres a photo at the track yesterday. This is my old man, still on an MX3 Can Am. You'll know its him if you see him at the track, hes the only guy wearing a plaid jacket!!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #129
kittycactus OP
Banned
 
kittycactus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wolvertucky, Michigan
Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
O.K. i have to jump in. Let me first say, I was never there! I'm 18, so certain factors that I had no control over didn't permit me to take part in this sport during its glory days.
Nice to meet you and thanks for the info. I've heard good things about you.

Well even though I'm old enough to have been there for part of it, I never even sat on a dirt bike until I was 34. I still feel overwhelmed by how much I don't know, but that's what I get for having my head wrapped around horses for so long. I just keep reading on my own and re-reading the posts here, it's starting to sink in and I sure am enjoying all the details and incredible pictures!
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #130
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Nice to meet you and thanks for the info. I've heard good things about you.

Well even though I'm old enough to have been there for part of it, I never even sat on a dirt bike until I was 34. I still feel overwhelmed by how much I don't know, but that's what I get for having my head wrapped around horses for so long. I just keep reading on my own and re-reading the posts here, it's starting to sink in and I sure am enjoying all the details and incredible pictures!

Its never too late to get involved!

Oh BTW, I'm glad you've heard good things about me, just don't ask the guys at CS&M. There was some.... unpleasantness!!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #131
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
Like the add says, "a BIT of nerve." A BIT! Thats laughable. Those things are unrideable. If there is a bike that handles worse than an early Kawashitty its a TM400!
Well, I'll jump in here as you did in your next post. You were not there, I was! I tested the TM400. I weighed, maybe 135 lbs. at the time. The TM400R was a very powerful bike for the time, probably the most powerful two-stroke dirt bike ever at that time. The reputation it got was from the press that reported on their impressions from possibly two weeks to a month that they had the bikes for their roadtest. That being said, it took a different style of riding and prudent use of the power to come to terms with the TM. The photos I have attached are of me in 1972 on a used (Rich Thorwaldson's practice bike) '71 TM400R at El Mirage Dry Lake. Both Rich and John DeSoto did well on these in competition at the time.
Not trying to "Flame" you, just stating that the "Evil" aspect of the bike was overblown.

Oh yeah, I was 23 when they came out.



__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #132
kittycactus OP
Banned
 
kittycactus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wolvertucky, Michigan
Oddometer: 578
Sort of off topic, but I've seen so many pictures posted here of riders with lace up work boots, steel toed I'm guessing. When did riding boots start appearing? Also interesting to see the changes in the helmet.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #133
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Sort of off topic, but I've seen so many pictures posted here of riders with lace up work boots, steel toed I'm guessing. When did riding boots start appearing? Also interesting to see the changes in the helmet.
There were riding boots (Hi-Point, Sidi and others) at the time, The boots I was wearing at the time were sold by Ken Maley ("The Shoe Man"). Ken made steel shoes for flattrack and sold boots that most people who rode flattrack and TT at the time wore.
I wore a Bell Super Magnum for testing in the desert at the time. Hard to tell from the photos, but it was in the low 100's at the time.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #134
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
Well, I'll jump in here as you did in your next post. You were not there, I was! I tested the TM400. I weighed, maybe 135 lbs. at the time. The TM400R was a very powerful bike for the time, probably the most powerful two-stroke dirt bike ever at that time. The reputation it got was from the press that reported on their impressions from possibly two weeks to a month that they had the bikes for their roadtest. That being said, it took a different style of riding and prudent use of the power to come to terms with the TM. The photos I have attached are of me in 1972 on a used (Rich Thorwaldson's practice bike) '71 TM400R at El Mirage Dry Lake. Both Rich and John DeSoto did well on these in competition at the time.
Not trying to "Flame" you, just stating that the "Evil" aspect of the bike was overblown.

Oh yeah, I was 23 when they came out.



You made a good point, I ride almost all European stuff and have ridden a TM 400. Jap bikes are a different style of riding. One I don't like. They wheelie very easy and are prone to going into tankslappers. When I rode the TM 400 I was unimpressed. But then I ride Can Am so how can you be impressed after riding one of them??
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #135
JRP
Old guy
 
JRP's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hampden, MA
Oddometer: 1,480
AMA Museum motocross bike pics

I won't post all the pics I took but will give a link to them. Most are from the Motocross exhibit. Anyone is free to copy and use them to show an old bike they may have had. Look under June 2005 and June 2006.
www.jrp650.smugmug.com


__________________
"What could possibly go wrong? " The Jerk
2012 TE 250
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014