User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #1396
racedawg
Have bike will travel

Oddometer: 263
Cool old Photo's

Here is a link to some great old pic's. I think I saw a few of them on this thread awhile back. Enjoy! I did!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcgreeneiv/sets/72157600755463552/show/
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #1397
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I love Can Ams! I still miss my old MX4 250 and wish i had it back to restore.

Those are absolutely beautiful...one of the most attractive MXer's ever built.

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #1398
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress
I love Can Ams! I still miss my old MX4 250 and wish i had it back to restore.

Those are absolutely beautiful...one of the most attractive MXer's ever built.

Kenny

I'm a real Can Am fan as well, I started with a 79 qual 250. I have a 78 MX4 370. Its a great bike, I don't like the orange bikes as much as the black frames but the 370 is such a powerhouse its nice to have one for a practise bike. It'll beat you into shape thats for sure! Thanks for the compliments I really appreciate it, they are a lot of work and its nice to see some other Can Am fans enjoy the finished product.

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #1399
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,007
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CZ-25...QQcmdZViewItem
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #1400
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Always loved these Can Ams for their clean and simple lines.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #1401
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise
The Mx3s are finally done and ready for the winter season. A lot of work but in the end I'm proud of them, heres some photos. I ride 7 my old man rides 101.

and by the way, those are REALLY sweet. you just didn't see many MX3's around as I recall and my guess would be that the RM's and Yamaha's were just too good to pass on. And we had a CanAm dealer in town. The sight of Pat Moroneys 250GP laying out in the winter snow trashed and already rusting was pretty much the end of anyone being interested in a Can Am with him winning Unadilla on an RM. Anyone who wasn't riding Jap was on a Maico or a Bultaco or a Husky on top of that.

Sweetest looking Can Am's ever though.

Stop calling him your old man, at least he knows how to tighten his chain sonny.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #1402
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
and by the way, those are REALLY sweet. you just didn't see many MX3's around as I recall and my guess would be that the RM's and Yamaha's were just too good to pass on. And we had a CanAm dealer in town. The sight of Pat Moroneys 250GP laying out in the winter snow trashed and already rusting was pretty much the end of anyone being interested in a Can Am with him winning Unadilla on an RM. Anyone who wasn't riding Jap was on a Maico or a Bultaco or a Husky on top of that.

Sweetest looking Can Am's ever though.

Stop calling him your old man, at least he knows how to tighten his chain sonny.
Your right, by 78 Can Am did a bunch of redesign but it was just too late. They are kind of an unsual bike to ride, they feel a little weird when you first ride them so I can see why lots of guys shyed away.

Thanks though these were a lot of work.

What would I call my "old man" if not that? Dad!? I don't know it sounds a little childish, he calls his dad "old man" and I'm assuming his dad called his father "old man" and so on. Who am I to break that tradition!?

Oh and I'm off the hook on the chain tension, if you look closely my bike technically wasn't done, the lower chain guide was gone so I had to fab up a new one which wasn't installed yet(it does make a difference)! HAHA

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #1403
darrel632
Snow Bunny

Oddometer: 135
Can't remember the last time I saw 2 black widows together --- makes my heart beat a little stronger I'm a bit of a Bombi freak and have a mk6 400 a Mk5 250 a 370 a pair of wrecked Q3 175's that still run, and a Bombardier 250 motor in a Honda 250r trike frame I'd trade 'em all and cash for the pair of those.

What pipe is your bike wearing? Its not stock and really looks like an old "Bills" ??
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #1404
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,167
Link to magazines featuring classic dirtbike coverage...
http://www.history.mscmotocross.com/Magazines.htm
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #1405
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 322
Bsa B50

I have posted this elsewhere but in case you missed the link.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1406
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrel632
Can't remember the last time I saw 2 black widows together --- makes my heart beat a little stronger I'm a bit of a Bombi freak and have a mk6 400 a Mk5 250 a 370 a pair of wrecked Q3 175's that still run, and a Bombardier 250 motor in a Honda 250r trike frame I'd trade 'em all and cash for the pair of those.

What pipe is your bike wearing? Its not stock and really looks like an old "Bills" ??

Ya the first bike was way easier to get parts for! I bought everything MX3 and it was still tough to finish number 2. My bike was really bad when I got it, no motor, seat, tank, and missing a bunch of nic nacs. I found 3 NOS mag forks which was a bonus. My bike has a Jemco on, but I cut off the guard and replaced it with one I made. It is a copy of the guard that came on the stocker. Pipe fits good, I would buy from him again! thanks for the compliments on the bikes, they were a lot of work!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #1407
moongirl
Infamous

Oddometer: 44
motocross kid..

I am the daughter of a man who passionately raced motocross AMA, TT, hare & hound, trials, & enduro's all through the 60's, and part of the 70's. We were on a track EVERY single Sunday of my young life! My dad went through every kind of bike there was and had at least two in the garage and one in the crate. Although I can't give spec's on any of the bikes, but all the names mentioned...Bultaco, Maico, Penton, Ossa, Triumph, CZ, Husky, etc were part of his stable at one time or another. I had a 1971 175 Yamaha when I was 12, while my brother went on to get the famous Elsinore that I never could keep running because you had to keep it on the pipe, which I never could do. I can't remember how far two strokes go back but when I smell two cycle oil and California stink weed together I feel like I'm home. 'On any Sunday' was our life, and looking at these pictures some of you have posted has really taken me back. I LOVE THEM! Thank you cactuskitty for starting this thread and thank you all for posting to this and adding your memories.
moongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #1408
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,521
Here's some great old photos of some early 60's yamaha and triumph dual-sports and dirt bikes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcgreen...755463552/show
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #1409
moongirl
Infamous

Oddometer: 44
Great Pictures..

Thank you for this! Very cool!
moongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #1410
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,743
I doubt anyone will even notice this response, but about the earlier dual-sport bikes, or what we might, even today, consider a DS bike, the 1971 Suzuki TS185 in my garage definitely has a lot in common with the 1977 KL250 I had about 8 months ago. So, there were definitely bikes before the 72 Honda XL\motosport 250. The TS185 even had a fairly common rack-option, and it has all the modern street electrics, switches, etc.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote