User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 298
Help me keep my K11LT winter riding!

I have a 1995 K1100lt and need some help. I'm winter riding and on cold days when I've left her outdoors, she doesn't start. I get a really grinding starter but she doesn't turn over at all.

If I keep her in my garage it never happens but if I leave her in the spot at work in the lot outside for a few hours in sub zero weather she just doors this metallic wheeze and nothing. If I try to roll start or bump start, she needs a big push and it feels like there's a block normal cycling.

Rolling isn't good enough, I need a buddy to push. It's like something's locked up. I have a cover for the bike. Do you think a cover might help? Is there any sort of mad crazy extreme winterizing I can do to make this stop?

Could there be water gumming up the works? Is there anything I can do when I park her to prevent this? Is this something I can fix our should I bring her to my guy Khánh at EUBMW? It doesn't feel like battery to me. Is it starter? Alternator?

Any insight or help you may have for me would be very appreciated. Cheers in advance. I'm a proud four season rider looking for a solution.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
My 1200Lt has the same issue in cold, although we don't really "do" that minus stuff here in Texas.
Have you tried changing to a lighter viscosity oil for winter riding?
A cover helps mine.
I also put mine on a trickle charger to keep the battery warm if I'm forced to park outside.
As an alternate, I've placed one of those 12 hour hand warmers near the battery to keep the under seat area at least a little bit warmer. Seems to help.
What battery do you have? I used AGM batteries and found that despite claims to the contrary these things, at least the two I tried, hate cold.
Went back to a lead acid and 90% of the issues went away.
Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 514
I don´t know about the 1100 but K75s had a mechanical starter relay that had a habit of melting the contacts and staying in a permanently live state if you tried cranking the engine with low voltage in the battery. A bit of impact rectification normally freed it but it isn´t something I would want to risk on a regular basis.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I'd start with making sure the battery is good.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 628
www.motobrick.com

Someone on here knows the answer.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 298
It wasn't the battery

Hey guys, I am so sorry that I didn't respond quickly to all of your amazing piecsd of advice for my K1100LT. You were all right!

It was not the battery at all. It was probably not the starter sprag clutch. It was probably the result of lots of very short trips in subzero weather. The moisture, maybe.

I changed the oil to synthetic Mobil 1, lowered the viscosity, and am hoping the oil moisture is coming from the the oil not getting hot enough to burn off the vapor rather than a $450 replacement of the three water pump seals (original) that could be the culprit behind the frothing watery oil.

I think I will order the CD2 4111 detergent. Should I?