User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Lion BR OP
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,151
MV Agusta Turismo Veloce

What about this bike? Has anyone ridden one?

Seems like the perfect mid-size sport touring bike. Possibly slots right in between the Ducatis Hyperstrada and Multistrada.

Or in between the new Tiger 800 XR Touring and the new BMW 1000XR.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Lion BR OP
I'd rather be riding

Here is Visordown's take on it:

I'd rather be riding!

Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Wow, that test rider certainly was impressed. Thanks for posting this.

I have been keeping an eye on the Turismo Veloce since MV first showed it. Looks like they have hung on to it until they got it right.

And in Britain anyway, the version with conventional suspension costs less than a base model Multistrada.

Plus, neither bag needs a cut-out for the pipe. Well done, MV.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Lion BR OP
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Wow, that test rider certainly was impressed. Thanks for posting this.

I have been keeping an eye on the Turismo Veloce since MV first showed it. Looks like they have hung on to it until they got it right.

And in Britain anyway, the version with conventional suspension costs less than a base model Multistrada.

Plus, neither bag needs a cut-out for the pipe. Well done, MV.
It looks really good without bags. And with bags, the rear of the bike is still narrower than the handlebar, making it good for urban riding. And you still can fit two helmets, one in each bag (because like you noticed, there is no cut-out for the pipe).

Another impressed test rider:

I'm on a wait-and-see about this bike. Looking forward to more information.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
The reviews on this bike have been full of praise. The quality of the components, technology, engine, and handling - plus the design style - really makes this bike attractive. Price is lower than a Multistrada or s1000xr, but with more standard in the package. Only drawback I see is lack of dealers, and then even greater lack of dealers with maintenance know-how on MV-specific bikes.

I bought an Aprilia from a great dealer that sells Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia, MV, and Moto Guzzi...the majority of the techs though are Ducati and Triumph-smart...not so much on the other bikes. That said, my Aprilia has been bullet-proof in its 3 years and 11,000 miles of ownership. In fact, this bike looks a lot like my Aprilia Mana GT in overall shape and stlying (minus fancy LED lights and paint scheme.

Looking forward to hearing some real-world owner reviews of this bike, but I suspect those may be few and far between.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #6
Solarbronco
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Now I WANT to ride one, lol. Looks like a sweet freakin bike.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

I have been keeping an eye on the Turismo Veloce since MV first showed it.....

Me too.....love the looks of this one.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #8
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I agree. MV have created a one if a kind. I like my bikes light and nimble and this one is great.

MV isn't really a viable option yet in my part of the world especially for a touring bike because of lack of dealer/parts support. Have any kind of mechanical problems while on the road and you would be dealing with a mechanic familiar with Hondas or KTMs. I can see having to cancel a trip midway through and leaving the bike where it broke down or shipping it home because some critical part was a month from being available. They are getting better all the time though.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
Lion BR OP
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I agree. MV have created a one if a kind. I like my bikes light and nimble and this one is great.

MV isn't really a viable option yet in my part of the world especially for a touring bike because of lack of dealer/parts support. Have any kind of mechanical problems while on the road and you would be dealing with a mechanic familiar with Hondas or KTMs. I can see having to cancel a trip midway through and leaving the bike where it broke down or shipping it home because some critical part was a month from being available. They are getting better all the time though.
At least you have a dealer in your state. I know, it is clear across the Cascades. Still better than none.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
In all honesty when did you last have a bike, from any manufacturer, that a) broke down on tour from an issue that was not caused by neglected maintenance & b) that could be fixed by parts the dealer had in stock in the town you broke down near.

In my 35 years of motorcycling experience all over the world and across many brands those conditions have never been met. Take time to look at the VFR forums. Those bikes have had chronic regulator/rectifier problems for close to 20 years across many model years. Like public toilets every town has a Honda dealer yet VFR's get stranded when R/R's fry themselves plus alternators and those parts are never in stock.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,867
While it didn't happen to me personally , I did attend a rally last weekend where a guy had to put his new water-Boxer GS on a roll-back to be taken to the dealer. So, breakdowns do still happen.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #12
Ominous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
When this bike was first announced a couple years back I thought it looked nice, as all MVs do, but would be impractical and MV agusta still had a lot of models with fueling issues and some other niggling things. So I started setting my long term sights on the upcoming S1000XR, MS, or new R1200R...

But they've clearly done some re-thinking and I wonder if it might not be the most practical option of the 4, which is saying something when talking about an MV. It will probably be cheaper than a fully loaded XR or MS, is more compact yet the panniers are both big enough for full-facers which is great for urban and daily use, lighter than the others, and 110hp is plenty but more reasonable and useable, with I assume equal or better fuel consumption and a bigger gas tank than any of the others! And it will have all the bells and whistles electronically speaking. Maybe the R1200R is a bit more practical, but maybe not (better wind protection on the MV) and I'm sure that triple would put a bigger smile on my face.

This just went from being a curiosity floating around in the back of my brain, to number one on my future-bike list
Ominous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 AM   #13
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I like this bike if only because it doesn't have an unsightly beak which restores my faith that at least some Italian designers still know how to do sexy, even for a mid-sized "motard tourer", but mostly because of it's beautifully crafted parts and well thought out/integrated cases, not to mention a nice little kick ass triple, but still, who needs TC, ES, power mapping for 110 HP? It's a shame they felt they *had* to include extraneous technology to be appealing/competitive when they had the balls to keep it "real" by *not* focusing on empty top end numbers. Just more stuff to go wrong on a bike with sparse dealer and parts networks. I like the 2 level option, but the base model should be more basic IMO.
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
NickW1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Last November I was at our local "all Italian" bike dealership shopping for an Italian bike, although I bought an Aprilia Caponord I asked about the MV in question, OTD price was a little over 20k. Perhaps they have come down some since then, I dunno
NickW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #15
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ryder View Post
I like this bike if only because it doesn't have an unsightly beak which restores my faith that at least some Italian designers still know how to do sexy, even for a mid-sized "motard tourer",

Might be wrong but IIRC the designer is a Brit.