Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
jacksparrow OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cbr650f

Hi guys!

I need to buy a new bike. In fact it will be my first bike although I have been riding other bikes for the past year. I've ridden a GS500, KLR650, CBR250, V-star, and my GF ninja 300. So I have ridden a few different bikes for a total of a couple thousand miles and I am fairly confident I know what I’m looking for. I love sports bikes but after sitting on a gixxer 600 and a zx-6r I know I can't live with that...I love going for long trips and it's far too uncomfortable. So I am looking for a 600 ish ''sport touring bike''.

I was about to pull the triger on a CBR650F but realised how expensive it was! And being a new bike there is also very few honest reviews out there.

Here (in canada) you can still buy the SV650SF (fully faired). The dealer I visited is asking 6500$ for the ABS version as an ‘’end of season deal’’. The red thing is about 3k$ more at 9500$ with abs. It is also 500$ more than an aprilia shiver/Fz-09 and about 1500$ more than a GSX650F,ninja 650R, FZ6R.

Is it THAT good? I mean, 500$ better than a FZ-09??
The sv650 is an ''old'' bike but there is a boat load of aftermarket parts available and for 3000$ I can buy handle bar risers, corbin seat, luggage and exhaust and still be more than 1K$ under the cost of the CBR!

So what you think? Is the CBR worth the extra money?
jacksparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
That does sound like a lot of money (especially for a first bike). You'd probably do a lot better if you wait a year or two. It's hard to get a good deal on brand new models. Maybe you should get a used bike first and ride that for a couple years.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
A third thread for this bike? Really?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
jacksparrow OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
A third thread for this bike? Really?
Yeah i know... but seriously those two threads started before the bike was even available and went in every direction except giving honnest and clear opinions about the bike. People saying if i was in the market, I think that, etc.

But what about the real thing, people who know? Is there anyone anywhere who bought the bike? If not then it's not worth it for sure and I will walk away.
jacksparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,901
Have you checked out the DL650 V-Strom. Much more comfortable than any of the bikes you mentioned, can go well over 250 miles on a tank of gas, tons of aftermarket support, handles great, versatile...

Of the bikes you mentioned, if I was cross shopping them and lookig for a bike to do some road trips on - for me it would come down to the CBR650 or the FZR650. The FZ-09 is a great bike, but I don't think it would work as well on a long ride. It's a hooligan bike. The Aprilia - not enough dealer support. SV650F - V-Strom is a better choice, IMO. Ninja 650R, also a great bike, but I think either the Honda or Yamaha would do better on a road trip. The Kawasaki Twin has a reputation for being vibey.

Now I will qualify all that by saying of the bikes in question, the only one I have owned is the V-Strom - and I don't feel any need to have any of the others.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
how I think about buying bikes

Amigo,

I hear your dilemma and I am/been there also. The way I see it is the following two ways of buying a bike; a) buy what moves you and b) buy what is intelligent. I bough a KLR and scooter with criteria B, if I buy the vespa or the Ducati they will be with criteria A.

If the new honda appeals to you and can pay for it, then GO for it. For me it is no different that a ninja650 or the GSX650F, so I would not pay that much more for the honda, I would buy the gsx650F from suzuki, unless there is something I am not seeing they are the same bikes (dealer support can be an issue).

Decide how you like to buy your bikes and the answer will be easier.

Damasovi
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Ministry
n00b

Oddometer: 8
If you like the CBR650F but are concerned somewhat about price and what not, I'd give the CB500x a strong consideration if you haventr already.

In fact if it was my choice, it would be my only consideration. That an the FZ-07 are the top 2 first bike choices hands down atm.

Rated a 10/10, dirt cheap, extremely versatile, 70mpg and fun as hell. Not sure what else you're looking for. Another 100cc's? pfff

https://rideapart.com/articles/ridea...w-honda-cb500x
Ministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

I would buy the gsx650F from suzuki, unless there is something I am not seeing they are the same bikes (dealer support can be an issue).

Damasovi

I own the GSX 650F & I love it, it suits my needs exactly. My only problem is that I cannot buy another one here in the US when this one is due for replacement. (I usually keep my bikes for 7-8 years, approx. 45,000 miles) If I were forced to trade my GSX 650F right now, I'd go with the Honda. Yes, it's very similar & somewhat more expensive, but for the higher price, the Honda gives ABS, a few more HP, 30 lbs less weight, & Honda build quality. Also those beautiful stainless pipes, which are worth several hundred dollars just by themselves! They remind me of the old 400F, one of my all time classics.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote