Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 AM   #241
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux
Second one i got in 06 from Ventura BMW. Also a good dealership.
Maybe the sales staff is good but I wouldn't take a bicycle there for service. My K1100RS was serviced at Ventura BMW by the previous owner shortly before I bought it. Not only did they mount the new front tire BACKWARDS which destroyed the tread in <1,000 miles but they also overfilled the transmission - it was filled to the brim and had almost 12oz too much gear oil in it.

I recognize that Lolo Pass picture:

duck screwed with this post 12-18-2008 at 04:38 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #242
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
jphii Don't change a thing... you would only upset the wonderful equalibrium
That's kinda my theory on maintenance on this thing. I ride it like a circus animal and it just keeps on going.

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #243
Tall_Canuck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick
My K bike....

She is a 1990 with only 9,000 miles. Stock except for the heat baffle kit to cool it off during the summer months.
Tall_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #244
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Maybe the sales staff is good but I wouldn't take a bicycle there for service. My K1100RS was serviced at Ventura BMW by the previous owner shortly before I bought it. Not only did they mount the new front tire BACKWARDS which destroyed the tread in <1,000 miles but they also overfilled the transmission - it was filled to the brim and had almost 12oz too much gear oil in it.

I recognize that Lolo Pass picture:

Mine was colder :)

i hesitated on the rating for Ventura BMW. i have had good service, except for the last go around. the 18k service. on the way home after picking it up, i felt something hit my foot. thought it was rock at first. however, my bike started sounding rattly. never had a BMW that rattled. found out during the PBTF ride at the Long Beach dealership that Ventura had left two screws out of the right fairing and it was flapping on bumps. kind of wonder what else may not have been tightened??????
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #245
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,767
Rgiroux

So since you have both bikes.... is the old RS still a pleasing bike to ride compared to your newer ride?
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #246
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Quote:
Rgiroux

So since you have both bikes.... is the old RS still a pleasing bike to ride compared to your newer ride?
Sure is. I have never liked a bike as much as I do the RS. Until I got the S .

The S feels so much different from the RS. The RS is a great long distance tourer, especially if there are curves. The cruise control and seating position are great for the times we have to slum it on the interstates.

The S is so much more responsive (compared to the RS) it took some time to get used to. My brother got his S first. He picked it up in Boise and we rode to Missoula, where he lives. I was on my RS, having ridden up to meet him in Idaho. I finally got to ride his bike coming down 93 into Hamilton. When I got on it after riding mine, it felt like there was no bike under me. I know it isnt that much smaller, but i actually wondered where the bike went. Completely different kind of bike.

Half a day riding it sold me on getting mine. That plus I had left my RS at his house cause we rode too much and I had to fly back to L.A.

Still really enjoy riding the RS, but since I have to chase youngsters on their Hondas, I take the S out more now. That thing is such a rocket and you cant beat evolution!

rgiroux screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 04:22 PM
Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #247
NCStephen
Riding NC

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on pillion? I have to do that on many occasions and while an LT might be nice from time to time.. I need a bike to be able to load up and do a 2 up trip and still be a great bike for just me. Yet the S ... well it has a magnetic draw to it.. Still each ride, each day I am go pleased to be able to have the RS.. didn't figure I could get one anytime soon so am rich it here to ride now.
S
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #248
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Quote:
Thanks for that. Any thoughts on pillion? I have to do that on many occasions and while an LT might be nice from time to time.. I need a bike to be able to load up and do a 2 up trip and still be a great bike for just me. Yet the S ... well it has a magnetic draw to it.. Still each ride, each day I am go pleased to be able to have the RS.. didn't figure I could get one anytime soon so am rich it here to ride now.
S
Well, i have had passengers on both bikes. On the RS, she was 5' in height, so no problems there. On the S, she was 6'-3" in height . Also, didnt seem to have any problems as long as my arms held out. (She didnt know how to hang on without pushing me forward off the bike on every stop. probably should have warned her ).

Did some canyon running with an average size lady on the S bike and didnt really know she was back there.

I dont think you will have any problems on either bike for medium trips. Long distance, loaded, probably go with the RS. More upright seating position.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #249
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick
My K bike....

She is a 1990 with only 9,000 miles. Stock except for the heat baffle kit to cool it off during the summer months.
Oh God.

Every time I see one (especially in this colour scheme), I'm filled with envy.

The only bike I have owned that I really, really do regret selling.

(Is that a clear "screen." Mine (Euro spec) had a black screen?)
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #250
NCStephen
Riding NC

tip for black bodywork / fairing extension and cold weather.

Hey.. I have a black 03K-RS and bought the fairing hand extension/windguards. Right off I noticed an increased sensitivity to crosswinds but that is quickly gotten used to. They do mount and remove really quickly. I also in this colder weather have been using "Polar Hands".. a Hippo Hands competitor, that do a nice job. They work far better with the fairing extensions in place. Otherwise at 70+ they start to flatten and flutter.

AND... my son's black Saab needed some bumper work and the body shop said they would spray my fairing pieces free. So IF... you have a black bike and have these, check with your local shop and ask when they have a black car in for some, would they spray them for you.
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #251
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 877
I rescued this low # 87 K75 from death,here is work in progress pictuere,it mach my bmw cage now.rest of the panels will get painted soon.

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #252
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W
Oh God.

Every time I see one (especially in this colour scheme), I'm filled with envy.

The only bike I have owned that I really, really do regret selling.

(Is that a clear "screen." Mine (Euro spec) had a black screen?)
Yes that is a clear screen, I also have a dark/smoke screen that I put on from time to time. I always loved the K1, I almost bought one new but I got the 16 valve KRS instead because I wanted hard bags for touring. I always said I would get a K1 and when this one became available i jumped all over it. Never fails to draw a crowd where ever I stop. Most folks think it is a 2008, when I tell them it is a 1990, they cant belive it!

When you stop chasing dreams, that's when your getting old...until then enjoy the ride
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #253
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Hey, test rode a new K1200s today at the dealer. Nice engine, sound, power. Handles beautifully. I've got my eye on the silver with yellow wheels. The yellow wheels really grab me. Had beemers before and still don't like the funky switchgear but got used to it. The '09 k1300's use universal switchgear, finally. I'm trading in my '07 ST1300a and jumping to the k1200s with abs and heated grips. The beemer has much more going for me except perhaps reliability. However, I've heard the k1200s is very reliable.

Please respond on any problems with this bike. Any final drive or tranny issues. I know there was a recall on the immobilser problem so that's been sorted out.

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #254
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded
Just got home with it.....

My boys are even more excited than me....

Unleaded, I'm about to buy your twin.

I was just browsing this thread and saw your photos. II think the yellow wheels really make the bike stand out. I went to the dealer this morning and saw one siting on the floor. I test drove it and really liked it. The sound is incredible and the tranny is much improved.

Let me know how my twin is doing.

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #255
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 712
Hey Wildbill -

You have impeccable taste....

You're gonna love that bike. The deals right now are pretty amazing, and I just couldn't pass it up. I'm with you on the yellow wheels. I didn't care for them at all in the press pics, but in person I think they're really cool.

Post some pics when you get it!