Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #811
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
Picked up this 85 K100 today.. anyone know of a source for steel braided brake lines for early K-bike?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #812
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Guess i gotta go do 58 then and quit sticking so close to home.
Back when Pashnit used to have a list of his top 5 favorite CA roads posted, 58 was one of them. Run it both ways all of the way between McKittrick and Santa Margarita. A bit boring in the middle with some 90 degree turns and some roller coaster but nice turns on both ends.

There's usually never any traffic on it. If I want to take a picture I usually just leave my bike in the middle of the road. (Not around corners mind you. That'd be dumb.) I found it "by accident" back in the early 00s when I was looking for a non-slab way to get inland. Try Lockwood Valley and Cerro-Noroeste around there too.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #813
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Picked up this 85 K100 today.. anyone know of a source for steel braided brake lines for early K-bike?
Try the Spiegler and Galfer web sites.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #814
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Try the Spiegler and Galfer web sites.
Tried, but no specific fitment for early K-bikes. Found some HEL fitments but in British Pounds.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #815
duck
Banned

Quote:
Tried, but no specific fitment for early K-bikes. Found some HEL fitments but in British Pounds.
Try some local brake shops and see how much it costs to make you some.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #816
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
Back when Pashnit used to have a list of his top 5 favorite CA roads posted, 58 was one of them. Run it both ways all of the way between McKittrick and Santa Margarita. A bit boring in the middle with some 90 degree turns and some roller coaster but nice turns on both ends.

There's usually never any traffic on it. If I want to take a picture I usually just leave my bike in the middle of the road. (Not around corners mind you. That'd be dumb.) I found it "by accident" back in the early 00s when I was looking for a non-slab way to get inland. Try Lockwood Valley and Cerro-Noroeste around there too.
On the list. AMA just rated it one of the top 15 motorcycle roads in the US.

Oh, and to stay on topic

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #817
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Look closer at the Speigler site. They definitely have a kit for early K's. I have them on my 85KRS. The custom make every order, so you get to pick color of lines and connectors. And you can add or decrease length as needed. No extra cost

I added a bit to the top line as I run K75C bars which are a bit wider.

Call them. They have everything you need.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #818
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Philly bike

Quote:

NICE
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #819
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 1,015
+1 on Spiegler for early Ks---Go for it!

Here's some pix of my K75S with Spiegler lines that I installed myself:

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #820
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
I know. I just did the same route on my K11LT last week. 58 ain't chicken scratch either. I did it on Monday afternoon and there was NO traffic.

Hwy 1 just fell into the sea near Rocky Creek. Oh NOOOOooooes!!!!

http://www.ksby.com/news/section-of-...-near-big-sur/

It must be from when I came down from that wheelie I pulled there last Tuesday. Those LTs are heavy bikes you know.

I think I'll be riding through end of March/early April. There's no plate on that bike so I have to transfer title and get a plate before I go pick it up. Working through that though.

Hopefully they have some sort of fix in place on Hwy 1 by then. It's not like CalTrans doesn't have a lot of practice at putting Hwy 1 back together.

What a Crap! Been thru there countless times and never thought of that section would go under.

I guess I just have to find some other roads for my weekly rides, 'cause it is one of the most beautiful areas for a leisure ride.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #821
duck
Banned

I'm just gonna loot the rear ones from my latest parts bike:

Free is the best price there is.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #822
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
I started dismantling my K75 today. Got all the body work off and the tank drained. There is an oil leak under my water pump and some slime in the rad. Looks like I might be doing a rebuild there. Sigh...between that and my KTM 990, water pump rebuilds will be one of my specialties!

Lots of stuff to clean up and rebuild. I just started making a list and creating a wish list at Max's. Lots to keep me busy this spring and summer. I am thinking I want to upgrade the alternator and rebuild the forks and brakes. My clutch slips when I let it out, I want to go over the electrics and give everything else the once over. The bike only has 35k, so I am going to bring it back up to snuff. Too many more miles left in the little brick to let it go to just pass it on.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #823
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
I started dismantling my K75 today. Got all the body work off and the tank drained. There is an oil leak under my water pump and some slime in the rad. Looks like I might be doing a rebuild there. Sigh...between that and my KTM 990, water pump rebuilds will be one of my specialties!

Lots of stuff to clean up and rebuild. I just started making a list and creating a wish list at Max's. Lots to keep me busy this spring and summer. I am thinking I want to upgrade the alternator and rebuild the forks and brakes. My clutch slips when I let it out, I want to go over the electrics and give everything else the once over. The bike only has 35k, so I am going to bring it back up to snuff. Too many more miles left in the little brick to let it go to just pass it on.
Good Luck with the rebuild.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #824
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonreid View Post
Good Luck with the rebuild.
Thanks, I have to undo two years of neglect on my part (stopped riding it after I got my 990). So it is my bad to start with. Thankfully it was a really strong bike to start with, so I have some high hopes.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #825
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
Thanks, I have to undo two years of neglect on my part (stopped riding it after I got my 990). So it is my bad to start with. Thankfully it was a really strong bike to start with, so I have some high hopes.
Lots of potential for change or just keep it a clean functional stock bike. Have fun.