Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #841
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399

This one will be up for sale soon. 88 K75S with 90k miles. pretty good shape, bags are good, corbin seat. Anyone have a good ballpark number of its value?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #842
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
This one will be up for sale soon. 88 K75S with 90k miles. pretty good shape, bags are good, corbin seat. Anyone have a good ballpark number of its value?
2,500ish?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #843
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
2,500ish?
Really? Then what value would you put on a nearly pristine '92 K75S with luggage and tank bag and 50K on the clock?
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #844
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Really? Then what value would you put on a nearly pristine '92 K75S with luggage and tank bag and 50K on the clock?
3,200-$3,500?

Disclaimer: I am not a certified Internet motorcycle appraiser. I'm just giving you my gut feel on what I think the bike is worth based upon one sentence descriptions. That's the point of the question mark at the end.

For example, I'll see the bike above listed on CL for $4,000 and think the price is high. But, who knows, maybe the seller will get that for it.

Any seller who has bothered to do some research will care about the splines so make a point of mentioning the last spline lube and other maintenance in your ad.

Side note: You get more if you market it better. When I sell a bike I always put together a web page for it and then link to that wherever I'm trying to sell it. A lot of people think you can't get money back on the mods you do. You can if you market them properly.

Example of a K75S I sold last year: http://home.comcast.net/~sumdumguy/91k75s/91k75s.htm
Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #845
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,849
I know a little about buying bikes online and the market is not fixed, it is liquid, as a buyer or seller you need to do your homework. The only market that matters is the market you are prepared to buy in. If you are prepared to travel, then you must expand your homework to include more of the market.
For BMW, you should be looking at dealers in your market, Ebay, Craig's List, BMW MOA Flea Market, ibmwr.com, I-BMW.com and get word out locally, to your BMW club, your friends, your dealer. that you are looking. If you are on FB, post that you are looking...friends know friends that are maybe sorta of thinking of selling.
You should watch your market, track all of the variables - year, mileage, extras, condition, distance, credibility etc, watch it for at least 2 weeks. In the mean time, have your funding settled. By 10-14 days you should know the answer to your question...how much should I pay for THIS bike.

Good luck!
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #846
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Thanks for the quickie price guesstimate. $2500 is what I was thinking of listing it for.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #847
spanky
Well, maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
3,200-$3,500?

Thanks for your insights, Duck. For the record, I'm on the buying side and the subject bike seems to be in need of a rear spline lube. I've been in some discussions with the seller who started out at $4K a few months ago. We'll see how things go.

And now for an entirely different question. Was there ever a K75 model that came with a factory fairing that looks like this:

I think it's some kind of police model, what say you?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #848
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,417
Quote:
And now for an entirely different question. Was there ever a K75 model that came with a factory fairing that looks like this:

No. Not a factory fairing.

The headlamp looks like an 'S' model, which makes me think that it's an attempt at an RT-type bike, probably before the factory K75RT was available.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #849
spanky
Well, maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
No. Not a factory fairing.

The headlamp looks like an 'S' model, which makes me think that it's an attempt at an RT-type bike, probably before the factory K75RT was available.
That surprises me because the fairing seems to be of very high quality fit and finish which made me think the bike is some sort of police model.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #850
duck
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your insights, Duck. For the record, I'm on the buying side and the subject bike seems to be in need of a rear spline lube. I've been in some discussions with the seller who started out at $4K a few months ago. We'll see how things go.

Looks to me like a Pichler(pronounced "pickler") fairing. Pichler is a German company that made some nice aftermarket fairings specifically for K75s/K100s back when they were in production.

Rear spline lubes are relatively easy. It's the transmission input spline lubes that are a PITA.

Splientology: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=490.0
Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #851
duck
Banned

Here's a K75 that I owned for a while that had a Pichler fairing. It's a little hard to make out in this picture but it had similar horizontal slats on the front panel below the radiator which is why I'm about 99% sure that's a Pichler fairing.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #852
plateau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
^i appreciate the "SHELL" camouflage demonstration^
plateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #853
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:

Is that a second K75(C) in the background? "Your Killing Me Smalls".
I really like those Pischler fairings on the K75. Makes for a very nice sport touring machine.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #854
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonreid View Post
Is that a second K75(C) in the background? "Your Killing Me Smalls".
I really like those Pischler fairings on the K75. Makes for a very nice sport touring machine.
Yes, that's a K75C.

That Pichler K75 I had, aside from being well-camo'd at Shell stations, worked pretty well. I like to ride without a helmet (GASP!) and that fairing was great for that. That white one looks like it would provide decent wind protection as well. I'm 6-2 and the K75S stock screen is a little short for me.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #855
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Their website says the fairings are still available for k75's as well.