y a w l . . .
Attached Images

owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #933
CrashBar
Just Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 134
Topcase Free K12 LT Rack

I always thought a K2 LT would be OK if I ditched the top case - a few folks make a rack to replace it"

http://www.k1200ltrack.com/
Attached Images

1993 K1100 LT (132,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T
CrashBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #934
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
Vintage K75 Gets New Clothes

I purchased a very well-kept, low miles K75 from an inmate last year. Hope you had good holidays, Jeremy! It's my second K75. The first is now happily ridden by inmate Barbsironbutt. A low-seat S model, it simply fit her better after a few mods.

I'd really wanted an RT, but when I saw this one, I knew I couldn't pass on it. I love the smoothness of the triple. It's plenty fast, and gets excellent mileage. Jeremy takes good care of his machines, and this one was very close to 100%.

This is how she looked as purchased:

I rode the bike nearly 400 miles home the day after we sealed the deal. Sweetness, but I wanted more wind protection.

Fitted with a Givi windscreen and top box, the Brick took me quite a few miles through New England, New York, and all over Eastern Canada, consuming the factory shock and a pair of Metzlers along the way.

Ontario:

Ingonish Beach, Nova Scotia:

I knew that the GIVI screen wasn't the ticket for late-season riding. I bit the bullet and called Jerry Heil over at Hannigan Fairing in Tennessee. I'd owned a original Canadian Hannigan, and was pretty impressed with it.

Meanwhile, I continued to spool miles on. The little Brick is really well-built. I love the riding position, the switch gear is superb, and that motor is so sweet! This is a very high-quality bike in every respect.

After a longer than expected delay, I rang Jerry over at Hannigan. It turns out he'd taken a fairly serious spill on his Moto Guzzi, and was just getting back on his feet. The fairing finally arrived some months later than anticipated. I'm glad Jerry is on the mend. He's a super guy to deal with, and a very experienced rider. I'd like a picture of the KLR he's fitted with his Super Sport fairing and Kawasaki police seat in anticipation of an Alaska run this summer.

I settled on the Sport Touring model, mid-range in size between the Super Sport and the very large Grand Touring model. I'd also purchased a HID headlight and some BikeVis bullet lights to upgrade the lighting package. The fit and finish was of a very high standard.

Finally, a week into January, the Brick got tucked into the shop for the re-fit. Yesterday, which happened to be my 48th birthday, everything was bolted on and mounted. Here are some spy photos. I hope to get some better ones soon, but the road tires are not so good on the layer of ice.

Side View:

Front View:

Cockpit:

C'mon spring!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 08:47 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #935
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Nice fairing, I would like to see some better pics of one. Gotta check his site out.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #936
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
Nice fairing, I would like to see some better pics of one. Gotta check his site out.
The Hannigan web site is kind of old-skool sketchy, as in "I did this myself, and I'm not a web designer." That being said, if you leave a message, Jerry is a great guy to talk to, and doesn't try to cut the conversation short. The fairings are very well-made, with real attention to detail.

The other Hannigan I had was the enormous GT model. It had been made in Canada in the mid-80's, and had been rid hard and put away wet. I spent some coin patching where a PO had hacked out a big section of the inner nose bowl. When mounted on a R100/7, it was a purty sight. It will probably go at least another 25 years.

I personally think this is a great fairing, and compliments the looks of the bike. Others think it's butt-ugly, but from everything I know, Hannigans offer great protection, and actually increase gas mileage and top-end speed. It certainly can't be as visually vulgar as the cover BMW hallucinated for the K100s. The K75 is my mile-eating maggot. It may not be as sexy or exciting as something later or earlier, but it just goes and inspires confidence. I'm good with that.

It took a bit of a gulp to lay down over half the bike's cost for one big farkle. That being said, if it works as I think it will, I'm money ahead.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #937
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
The next chapter....

I'll be interested to read your take on how the Hannigan changes the handling of you K75. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #938
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
I'll be interested to read your take on how the Hannigan changes the handling of you K75. Please keep us posted.
If I can swing it, I may take the K75 down to Cape Cod next weekend and wring her out a little. It's supposed to be in the 50's there. It's -8 here now, not biking weather. Will keep you posted with riding impressions.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #939
barbsironbutt
Bungee Rancher

Oddometer: 137
With that fairing and your onboard furnace, you ought to be good to about 0! I really hope you get to escape this depressing cold and try it out soon! As long as the roads are dry, YOU'LL BE FIIINNNEE!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #940
FinestYearK
Rain, rain, go away

Oddometer: 40
Here's my namesake, my 2/'85 naked K 100. Rescued from the downfall of Bend Euro Moto, I am going through it thoroughly and making it shine like it deserves to. Cosmetically challenged, but nothing terminal. It's shared commuting and touring duties with the Honda, and will be my daily rider as soon as most of the slush is off the roads.

Please excuse the pics - I am no photographer.

1984 Suzuki GS550es - Leaving the nest...
Cage: Land Rover Discovery I - the last "real" Land Rover

FinestYearK screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 09:52 PM
FinestYearK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #941
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinestYearK View Post
Here's my namesake, my 2/'85 naked K 100. Rescued from the downfall of Bend Euro Moto, I am going through it thoroughly and making it shine like it deserves to. Cosmetically challenged, but nothing terminal. It's shared commuting and touring duties with the Honda, and will be my daily rider as soon as most of the slush is off the roads.

Very nice.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #942
gdspdblkdemperor
Captain Bavaria

Oddometer: 590
I've been riding my shop's demo K1600GT recently while doing some long overdue maintenance on my K75. The 1600 is wicked fast with phenomenal handling, but at the end of the day I still find myself pining for my triple. She'll be back on the road soon with brand new Heidenau K60's, a new driveline, upgraded rear suspension, stainless steel braided brake lines, brighter and better HID's, new ammo cans & custom racks (learning to weld paid off ), and a fresh coat of paint. Can't wait to be back among the brickers.

This was taken right before I started working on it...

Here's looking forward to the next 100k on the ol' brick.
Go Fast: ZenMoto
Trans-Am Cycle Sales
gdspdblkdemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #943
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdspdblkdemperor View Post
I've been riding my shop's demo K1600GT recently while doing some long overdue maintenance on my K75. The 1600 is wicked fast with phenomenal handling, but at the end of the day I still find myself pining for my triple. She'll be back on the road soon with brand new Heidenau K60's, a new driveline, upgraded rear suspension, stainless steel braided brake lines, brighter and better HID's, new ammo cans & custom racks (learning to weld paid off ), and a fresh coat of paint. Can't wait to be back among the brickers.

This was taken right before I started working on it...

Here's looking forward to the next 100k on the ol' brick.
Interested to see how it comes out. What shock are you putting on?

Been some decent weather in the north east the past month, its nice to get out on a few rides in January and not freeze your balls off.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #944
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
A ride with a friend to General Store in Carmel Valley, CA.

Name:  CIMG5034.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  197.7 KB
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #945
Heli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I've been lucky enough to have had my K1600GT for 6 months now, and still find it the most amazing bike. even more amazing is that I still have my licence.....

Heli is offline   Reply With Quote