Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #976
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
Just picked up a 2001 K1200RS!!!
Great looking K-RS. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!!!

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #977
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
^^^ I am... The RT is going to be feeling mighty lonely for a while.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #978
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
In a world with so many motorcycle choices, the K1600GT is unique. Ride one and you will see why BMW sales continue to increase while other makers struggle to survive.

http://rllemke.smugmug.com/Movies/Ri...8598&k=gNRv8Ks

RL Lemke screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 07:43 AM
RL Lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #979
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 480

Great bike its my second k bike and i sure do love it.. But it may be time to sell as it has warranty for another year..

Who wants it?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #980
shine5555
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DirtyGS View Post

Great bike its my second k bike and i sure do love it.. But it may be time to sell as it has warranty for another year..

Who wants it?
Pick Me Pick me... Been looking at the 1200/1300 GT's... and thinking about the 1600 GT :)
shine5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #981
JakeS
Yup

the 16 is one nice machine thats for sure.. but its missing the im going to rip your face off sound like the 12 and 13gt's that ofcourse is my opinion and if you dont care for that then it wont matter and the bike is great..
Old 04-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #982
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DirtyGS View Post
the 16 is one nice machine thats for sure.. but its missing the im going to rip your face off sound like the 12 and 13gt's that ofcourse is my opinion and if you dont care for that then it wont matter and the bike is great..
I don't know about that. Listen to the flyby because one of the bikes, in only two of the flybys, is the K12 with a Remus exhaust. A good way to compare the two. I have an HD version of the video where you can really hear the difference. The raspy sound of the K1600 six cylinder engine is addictive. The two three into one, without any connection, makes a Porsche like sound.

BIG download but you will indeed hear the difference. The 2nd and 3rd have the K12GT.

http://rllemke.smugmug.com/Movies/Ri...0752&k=PmxDqBT
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #983
JakeS
Yup

i dont mean the exhaust im talking about the intake sound when it goes wide open throttle.. thats a beautiful sound... when i rode the 16 i didnt get any of that excitement out of it like i do on the 13.. the power band was more car like.. dont get me wrong i like the bike and enjoy riding it and i would buy one, one day...

Im in dallas and fort worth often next time we can discuss over some brisket at riskies..
then you can let me ride yours hahahahahaha
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #984
shine5555
n00b

I test rode the 1300, and loved it... The 1600 is also a blast. The gadget side of me wants the 1600, but the pure fun side still likes the 1300... Could not go wrong with either one, as the 1600 was a blast as well, but the $$$ are also weighing on the choice
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #985
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,654
My K1600 GTL stripped of its bags, and getting a set of Remus Carbon Fiber pipes that just arrived today :)

Coolest bike I've ever owned - also the fastest by quite a wide margin.
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #986
shine5555
n00b

That looks great stripped down. The new pipes will also look great. I think the GTL is a better bang for the buck. If you like the GT, you should just buy the GTL and remove the top case. At least that is my thought process
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #987
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine5555 View Post
If you like the GT, you should just buy the GTL and remove the top case. At least that is my thought process
No way. It is amazing just how different the GT is from the GTL since there are only a few changes between them.

For someone who enjoys a K12 or K13GT, the K1600GT is the way to go. The K1600GT is lighter steering, per my brother who made the same switch. The motor doesn't rev as high but is still more intoxicating all the same. The K16 gearing is higher so there isn't quite the same hit when you wick the throttle, instead it is a locomotive that just keeps going and going.

The GTL was designed around the American rider, to act as a conquest bike for Gold Wing and Harley riders. And it has worked, as evidenced by the number of sales to these two groups, not to mention BMW LT riders.

The GT is a true European sport touring bike. The evolution of the K12GT and K13GT into a truly super sport touring bike.

If you ride two-up and want a top case to bring all your laundry, get the GTL.

If you ride alone and approach the twisty roads like a sport bike rider get the GT.

If you want a bike you sit in, get the GTL, with its low seating position and forward foot peg position.

If you want to sit on the bike, get the GT.

If you want to look through the windscreen, get the GTL.

If you hate looking through a windscreen, get the GT.

The GTL suspension ESA settings are one notch softer than the GT. So, the road setting on the GT equals the sport setting on the GTL.

Again, it is amazing how changing the handlebars, seat, pegs, and suspension can make such a big difference.

Don't let the top case or color persuade you. Get the right tool for job you intend.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #988
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
If you want to look through the windscreen, get the GTL.

If you hate looking through a windscreen, get the GT.

True American Euro, whatever. To each his own.

I don't get the windshield part though? On my GTL the windshield lowers enough that I look over it. I'm short too (5'8").
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #989
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
True American Euro, whatever. To each his own.

I don't get the windshield part though? On my GTL the windshield lowers enough that I look over it. I'm short too (5'8").
I'm not making a judgment here, we each spend our discretionary purchase money on the bike that gives us the most pleasure.

The windscreen on the GTL is bigger than the GT, and I find that GTL buyers are getting even bigger aftermarket screens. Some suspect that it is the larger windscreen on the GTL that causes BMW to have a lower recommended top speed for the GTL, and the reported top speed instability, relative to the GT.

On the sliding scale of comfort to speed, the GTL is a little more on the comfort side of the equation.

I bring up these differences because of the comment that the GTL is a better value than the GT because of the added LED lights and top case. I want to make very clear that there are significant differences between the two K16s. To make a purchase decision based on those differences and not color or top case. It is far easier to add a top case and LED lights to a GT, than it is to make a GTL into a GT.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #990
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I get all that about the differences with the bikes, my point about the looking through versus over the windshield part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
I'm not making a judgment here, we each spend our discretionary purchase money on the bike that gives us the most pleasure.

The windscreen on the GTL is bigger than the GT, and I find that GTL buyers are getting even bigger aftermarket screens. Some suspect that it is the larger windscreen on the GTL that causes BMW to have a lower recommended top speed for the GTL, and the reported top speed instability, relative to the GT.

On the sliding scale of comfort to speed, the GTL is a little more on the comfort side of the equation.

I bring up these differences because of the comment that the GTL is a better value than the GT because of the added LED lights and top case. I want to make very clear that there are significant differences between the two K16s. To make a purchase decision based on those differences and not color or top case. It is far easier to add a top case and LED lights to a GT, than it is to make a GTL into a GT.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote