Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #1051
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
I never understood why it is considered unrider like to go to a coffee house with your motorcycle... I ride about 10k mi a year and drink at least 5 gals of coffee when stopping before bustin out the twisties...
A lot of people just don't know what to do with themselves when they start riding. The idea that you use the bike to do what you want escapes them because they need to learn "the rules" that they then try to enforce on others.

I'm a coffee addict too.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #1052
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustFundManChild View Post
I have put 4,000 miles on it in the last 5 weeks. The original owner barley rode it. I'm considering riding every mountain pass above 5,000 feet in the lower 48.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #1053
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
I never understood why it is considered unrider like to go to a coffee house with your motorcycle... I ride about 10k mi a year and drink at least 5 gals of coffee when stopping before bustin out the twisties...
+1 ..... though I only ride about 8k a year

I sure do like the Starbucks......

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #1054
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 480
MMM coffee... I usually ride to coffee, food, motorcycle accessories, food, and then a few times a year PANCAKES..
Also for trips and enjoyment..
Who cares where people ride to as long as they ride and enjoy..
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #1055
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Posing. "Riding to Starbucks" is shorthand for being a poser. In other words, spending $25k on a bike and 'round-the-world-gear so you look really good when you ride a mile and a half to the Starbucks to let everyone see how adventurous you are. Then you sip your cappuccino in the air conditioning and watch people marvel at all the exotic places you have just come from or are on your way to, before you ride back to your house in the 'burbs, wash the bike and park it next to the minivan.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Real adventurers squeeze their coffee out of the intestines of berry eating bush-varmits. Everyone knows that.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #1056
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Posing. "Riding to Starbucks" is shorthand for being a poser. In other words, spending $25k on a bike and 'round-the-world-gear so you look really good when you ride a mile and a half to the Starbucks to let everyone see how adventurous you are. Then you sip your cappuccino in the air conditioning and watch people marvel at all the exotic places you have just come from or are on your way to, before you ride back to your house in the 'burbs, wash the bike and park it next to the minivan.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Real adventurers squeeze their coffee out of the intestines of berry eating bush-varmits. Everyone knows that.
HAHAHAHA
It keeps the economy moving i like them. They spend money on parts they dont need and gear they dont need hopefully from small businesses and it just keeps the world moving. Probably a very small fraction of the world but it all helps
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #1057
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 719
What I like is that after a couple years, their hardly-ridden adventure bikes go on the market steeply reduced, for vultures like me!
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1058
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,290
Naw, for most of us its just taking little digs at our fellow riders (at least as I see it). Kind of like always busting your best friend's balls on any little thing that doesnt fit the "norm". Made even more fum when the sensitive few start defending their actions. Just roll with it and have fun. We have one of the greatest hobbies there is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
What I like is that after a couple years, their hardly-ridden adventure bikes go on the market steeply reduced, for vultures like me!
Well, there is that, too.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #1059
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Most active K bike forums

What is the most active k bike forums? K1200r specifically?

Thanks,
Chris
Trinity_Session is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1061
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity_Session View Post
What is the most active k bike forums? K1200r specifically?

Thanks,
Chris
www.i-bmw.com is by far the most active forum I've found for new-gen K-bikes.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #1062
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
I guess I have an "Old Gen." then.Just picked up a 1985 K100RT with 15000. I will be turning her into a Naked and selling off the "RT" parts.
Have riden it 50 miles so far and like it.She does have some pep in the meat of rpms of between 5000-6000 but dang she get buzzy.I guess Im just used to my R1150RT.I wish I could get rid of the stock muffler but from what I have read BMW spent a lot of time on the exhaust and you tend to lose power going with a diff. system,oh well I cant see it when Im on the bike
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #1063
Mens Rea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
http://www.motobrick.com/

frogy,

http://www.motobrick.com/ is a good resource, has a parts thread, too. I bought some nice fork gaiters for my K100 from frankenduck's parts page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
I guess I have an "Old Gen." then...
Mens Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1064
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I
I guess my question is: Would I be perhaps better off putting a couple thousand dollars into my '88 (clutch and final drive spline lube, having the speedometer diagnosed, repaired (started acting up a little bit today), and a few other small things; or maybe biting the bullet and going for a newer, more powerful K that's probably good to go for another 75000 miles with only regular minor maintenance?
A couple grand... shhhh, don't tell me that I just did the dreaded spline lube (both final drive, and clutch splines). First time and it only took me 4 hours.

Check here for the appropriate speedo fixes.

I won't tell you my opinion on if you should keep it, not trying to kill anyone elses deal...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1065
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Seriously, would still like your thoughts on the general riding characteristics of these two bikes, even without comments re: which one would be a good choice. Thanks!
I think it sounds like a great deal. I just did a 2 day track school with the S1000rr. First time on a sport bike and loved it. Would love to have one. I then had to ride 45 min home each day on my K-RS. The bikes are so different. Still once out of the paddock on my K-RS I found it still to be an awesome bike. They do not compare because they have a different design focus. I just spent a ton of money over the last year having things done to get it ready for the second 100,000 miles. The things that the bike you are considering has already had done. I think it a great buy. Would the purchase of the K-RS require that you have to sell your current K? You might find they each have unique qualities that while overlapping still are different enough to allow the bikes to be focused on different things you would be using the bike for.

I cannot compare between the two bikes. I know that was your original question. For the K-RS, it remains an outstanding bike does so many things in a good way.
NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote