Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by curty
Do we need to bring our own tie-downs?
You could carry a couple 8' lengths of 7mm low stretch static nylon climbing cord and do a trucker's hitch.

Yeah Jeff, the bike was moved and dropped while we were in some port. I was out walking around.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #17
curty
Sum'a bitch

Oddometer: 442
Thanks I figure I could buy a couple of cheap hardware store ones and give them to somebody in Haines, when we disembark. Look forward to see the great white north for the first time. I will be with a group of six doing Atlanta-Prudhoe Bay-Keywest In June.

2006 BMW GS-Adventure

http://curtisbondsbaker.blogspot.com/

http://curtisbaker.shutterfly.com/ac...ZsmLl4&notag=1
curty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #18
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

How about another photo to whet your whistle?

A small boat harbor in Letnikof Cove just a few miles south of Haines on Mud Bay Rd. Those lovely mountains are also in the background of a few movies.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I plan to take the ferry from Haines to Bellingham the week of July 7. I will be camping on deck. Should I get a reservation or is a bike a sure thing?
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,967
If your sure about the dates a reservation doesn't hurt.

I just heard today that the north bound Bellingham ferry is running full. Right now it's a smaller ferry then what is usually on that run. The southbound boat should still have room for you in July, by August they start filling up.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #21
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Thanks Jeff.

It's good to have your comments and suggestions on here.

I love ridin the Ferry. Good times.

Mark H.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #22
pinner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
So we are considering comming back down from PB into valdez, Haines or someplace to catch the ferry. Sounds as though we are better off getting to Prince Rupert and riding back to Co. from there. Can we catch a single ferry that will take us the entire way. and if so what is the approximate travel time?
pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #23
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinner
So we are considering comming back down from PB into valdez, Haines or someplace to catch the ferry. Sounds as though we are better off getting to Prince Rupert and riding back to Co. from there. Can we catch a single ferry that will take us the entire way. and if so what is the approximate travel time?
If you go to Valdez, you'd have to take one ferry to Whittier then another for the long (3 days) and expensive trip to Prince Rupert. Also, that "cross Gulf" sailing only happens once every 28 days.

If you go to Haines or Skagway, you'll have a few choices a week to take the 1 1/2 day trip to Prince Rupert.

Just another reminder to those who might start to feel a bit road weary as they're coming thru British Columbia, if you ride into Prince Rupert and take the ferry up to Haines or Skagway and then return the same way at a later date, the operator of the motor vehicle goes for free. Pretty good deal if you feel like taking a bit of a rest on your lengthy journey. Granted you'll miss some pretty scenery but I know some of you will be putting in a lot of miles just to get here.

Here's the ferry link again: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #24
pinner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Great, thanks for the valuble insight. Talked to the booknig agent, $$$$. But hey, if it was about the money, I'd be riding around the backyard.
Cheers, Kevin
pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Prince Rupert to Haines?

I have been looking on the Alaska Marine Highway web site and unless I am totally messed up (wife's accusation), there are no connections between Prince Rupert and Haines. It looks like you have to get off in Juneau and wait a few days. Am I reading the schedule wrong?

I took the ferry a couple years ago from Haines to Bellingham but have been told that Prince Rupert makes a great staging area at about half the cost and the ferry system has some discounts from there as well. Am hoping I am reading their schedule wrong.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,967
I haven't looked at the online schedule yet, I seem to remember the printed schedule showed a direct ferry, though not all of them are.

I'll look at the online one and see what I can decipher.

On edit: It looks like once a week there is a direct ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines, June 17-19 and 24-26 for example. The day boat trip from Juneau to Haines might require you to spend one night in Juneau, if you can plan so you catch the right ferry into Juneau from Prince Rupert. I hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn't, or tell me your travel dates and I'll find the ferry on the sechedule.

Disclaimer: I am not a travel agent, nor do I wish to be one. I'll just try to interpret the schedule for fellow ADVriders. You'll still have to make your own ticket arrangements through what ever agency you choose.

AKjeff screwed with this post 04-12-2008 at 10:20 AM
AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #27
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, I Found It

Thanks, I found the correct ferry and times. Am trying to decide between Goose Bay in June or Anchorage and hanging with some friends for a few weeks. Rich
Old 04-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #28
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpilottx
Thanks, I found the correct ferry and times. Am trying to decide between Goose Bay in June or Anchorage and hanging with some friends for a few weeks. Rich
Where's Goose Bay?

Did you get the schedule figured out? Looks like a ferry comes all the way up to Haines from Prince Rupert every day or 2 with a few stops inbetween. Then going back down you'll have to get off in one port or another (like Ketchikan) and wait a few hours to catch another. There's a lot to see in KTN like totem pole parks at both ends of town or do a kayak tour, etc.

Another reminder, a lot of adver's are gonna be in Dawson Yukon on Solstice weekend. Please join us.

See ya, Mark H.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #29
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Goose Bay and D2D

Goose Bay is out on the far eastern end of Labrador at the end of 800 miles of gravel. I am actually contemplating a ride from El Paso to Goose Bay to Prudoe Bay back to El Paso.

My wife is from Anchorage and I have lots of friends and family in Alaska. I am thinking about D2D but can't get out of El Paso until June 15 (daughter's high school commencement) so five 600 mile days would be needed to reach Dawson. I rode to Alaska in 2004 so I may skip some of the Alcan, thus the interest in the ferry.

May spend about a month in Alaska fishing on the Kenai, riding up to Prudoe and generally relaxing with my best friend. He is a psychiatrist in Anchorage and we have the same taste in scotch and outdoor travel.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

If anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask here as someone else might benefit as well.

And as always, other comments or suggestions are always welcome as well.

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible here in the "Last Frontier."

Take care. Have fun. Mark H.