Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #31
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,402
Found another good link for updated road conditions in AK: http://511.alaska.gov/

Hope everyone has a good trip up and back.

See ya, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #32
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Found another good link to road conditions thru BC.

http://www.drivebc.ca/map.jsp?zoomDi...s=on&district=

It even includes updated camera shots.

Hope everyone has a good trip.

Mark H.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #33
maaujai
paper airplane

Oddometer: 104
Laugh Jul/Aug OR/WA -> AK trip

This thread was immensely helpful! Thanks. I just paid 836 USD for a ride from Haines (Aug 4) to Bellingham (Aug 8)... I've got to be back to work on the 9th. That sure seems like a lot! But round-trips were not really an option for us... Too bad I saw this thread AFTER I booked the ticket!

Funny moment - I was booking (www.ferrytravel.com), filling out info on my bike. It asked for length, and, assuming it knew I had a motorcycle as the previous menu had asked, the parameters were 1-70 (no units). My KLR is 90 inches long... I thought, well, if I turn the bars to the left maybe it will lower it to 70 inches. Do they only take short bikes?? Absurd! I'll just put in 70 & deal with it later. Then I kept getting ticket quotes for something like $5,430 dollars... my stomach did an entire Olympics gymnastics routine before I figured out I was booking for a 70 foot long motorcycle.

maaujai

Pacific NW-Canada-Alaska July 20-Aug 8, 2008

PHOTOS
maaujai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #34
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,778
Any tips on tying down? Sidestand up or down? On the centerstand? I don't want to be the n00b that has his bike fall over in transit and spill fuel all over.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #35
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Sidestand down.

I've read, and used, a triangulation method. Two straps on the left pulling towards the side stand and one on the right pulling away.

Hope that makes sense.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #36
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Hello to all my trip plannin buddies!

Because the info here is still pertinent, I asked mod gaspipe to change this thread's title from '08 to '09. (thanks Bruce)

So this is a little bump to maybe help some adv'ers have an even better trip northward.

Warmest regards from the frozen north, Mark H.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,467
Thanks for all the great info.
KHuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #38
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Thanks for the info.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #39
HorizonSeekr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
This is a great thread!

When you talk of riding from Bellingham to Prince Rupert, you mean taking 97 up to Prince George and then 16 over to prince Rupert? (about 900 miles)

Mark
HorizonSeekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #40
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
From someone who took the ferry from Bellingham to Haines, I highly recommend the experience of the Alaska Ferry. Incredible scenery, wildlife, characters on the back solarium and you have a nice rest before an epic ride. A 4 berth sure was nice for some privacy and comfort but you could do without it and be fine. Keep you eyes and mind wide open.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #41
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonSeekr
This is a great thread!

When you talk of riding from Bellingham to Prince Rupert, you mean taking 97 up to Prince George and then 16 over to prince Rupert? (about 900 miles)

Mark
Yep, that's what it would be. Actually 1 to 97 to 16... but you've got the idea.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #42
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
From someone who took the ferry from Bellingham to Haines, I highly recommend the experience of the Alaska Ferry. Incredible scenery, wildlife, characters on the back solarium and you have a nice rest before an epic ride. A 4 berth sure was nice for some privacy and comfort but you could do without it and be fine. Keep you eyes and mind wide open.
Yep, the berths ARE mighty comfy. Maybe even TOO comfy, for me anyway. In all my years of ridin our ferries, and after giving in to the overpowering comfort of a berth, I find I have a much more rewarding trip if I ride up in the solarium where I get a much better view and keep more entertained by other passengers. Fun!

Wishing you all a wonderful journey, Mark H.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #43
excessivemachine
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good Info on Ferry

Thanks for the information on riding the ferry system this summer. I'm looking forward to catching it Haines and riding to Prince Rupert. Sounds like it's going to be a blast
excessivemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #44
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,320
I am also checking the routes as I may ride up from CA (picking up a bike) back to ANC.
How much time would be saved taking the ferry from PR to Haines versus the WA to Haines trek? Shipping quotes for the bike were around 2K which I think I can do much better and have a better time!

SAS
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #45
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Hello and welcome ADVn00b excessivemachine! You're the second Alaskan ZX-14 owner to join up here in the last week.

ThatGuy, getting on the ferry in Prince Rupert instead of Bellingham, WA saves you about a day and a LOT of money. And as mentioned, the road into PR is beautiful! And don't forget, they're offering the 10% off if you go out of PR again this year.

Riding the ferry from PR to Haines instead of motorcycling is about the same time wise as it takes 2 days but I think it's a fun ride. And again, the 120mi between Haines, AK and Haines Junction Canada is one of the best!

And remember, this year you'll need a passport.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.