User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #46
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumb

Thanks for this thread. My mates and are have some $ issues with the ferries and this helped out a lot. It may even change our trip and we may just explore southern AK instead of heading up north.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #47
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Wicked Im booked

I head out of Bellingham on 22nd May heading to Whittier , any one else on this trip . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #48
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2
I head out of Bellingham on 22nd May heading to Whittier , any one else on this trip . Cheers Toddy
I'll be working that trip, what are you riding?

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #49
Dharmadon
road warrior

Oddometer: 229
Laugh Mileage post

Just a little add-on note to this thread... made the run from Skagway to Hyder in one day...not an early start or that "late" of an arrival...Bid my friends off on their road trip and rode back the next day(june) 700 miles of smokin those long empty stretches and a little construction work...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #50
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_Poor
Thanks for this thread
You're all very welcome. Just wanting to help make the trip north as pleasant as possible for my adv brethren.

Well Meaning Marko
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #51
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Just a thanks for the info bump!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #52
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
I am currently in Kenai and might be returning via the Haines - Prince Rupert ferry. Kenai to Tok, 500 miles; Tok to Haines, 400 miles. Not sure what the miles are from Prince Rupert but I am looking forward to the Frazier Canyon ride.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #53
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Prince Rupert to the US border is about 900 miles.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #54
PaxRider
Fighting the Man daily!

Oddometer: 36
tie downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by curty
Do we need to bring our own tie-downs? I really don't want to lug tie-downs all the way from Atlanta to Prince rupert.
Hey we didnt know about tie downs and bought some from a home depot or Lowes along the way in canada. this is totally doable but be ready to get ripped off. we paid way to much for our but we had no other choice
PaxRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #55
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Just like to add my own thumbs-up to the ferry experience.I was in Ak. in 2006 with a group of friends. We vanned to Glacier then rode to Dawson City and entered at Boundary ,went to Anchorage then down to Seward. After one night in Seward we split up and Bill and I rode up to Whittier and caught the ferry to Valdez.
Wow ! All the beauty surrounding us and we were moving through it without straddling viborating motors for a change.It was a beautiful clear day which didn't hurt either.I scoped out a tall blonde that seemed not to be with anyone and mentioned to her that we were going to the galley for some beer.She liked beer too,so we had company for lunch.While we were eating we heard something bumpity bump down the hull. Sea-ice! No big deal to those that are around it,but kind of near to us southerners.
We also saw some walrus pretty far off and then a whale breached and splashed a couple of hundred yards away.Cool!
Anyway ,I dug it and it was nice to have some relax time.And the ride back up from Valdez to Glennnallen is a treat as well.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #56
maiden.jade
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Question

I've been thinking about taking the ferry (from Prince Rupert) and then riding in Alaska this coming summer. One question, I think some women may wonder similarly, is it a good idea for a female rider to go solo riding in Alaska? To add to the uncertainty, the said female rider (me ) is not exactly mechanically inclined.

I'm sure there are women who have done that.

On one hand I really want to go but on the other hand, I feel a little apprehensive about my limits. I'm certain I will be PM'ing some of the AK riders to establish contacts with them before I go.

Any thoughts?
maiden.jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #57
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

This is just my opinion but I think you would be as safe, or safer, as you would be in the lower 48, in Alaska.

As far as the mechanical ability goes, some places can get pretty busy during tourist season. If you need a hand there's bound to be someone along if you're not off the beaten path.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #58
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff
This is just my opinion but I think you would be as safe, or safer, as you would be in the lower 48, in Alaska.

As far as the mechanical ability goes, some places can get pretty busy during tourist season. If you need a hand there's bound to be someone along if you're not off the beaten path.
My sentiments exactly. Not to worry.

Have you thought about attending the Dust 2 Dawson gathering June 25-26? It's an annual gather in Dawson City Yukon around Solstice. Fun! Over 150 riders from all around the world, most on their way to or from visiting Alaska.

Have you seen the 'Alaska 2009' thread in the 'Upcoming' forum? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370940

Keep us posted. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #59
maiden.jade
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
My sentiments exactly. Not to worry.

Have you thought about attending the Dust 2 Dawson gathering June 25-26? It's an annual gather in Dawson City Yukon around Solstice. Fun! Over 150 riders from all around the world, most on their way to or from visiting Alaska.

Have you seen the 'Alaska 2009' thread in the 'Upcoming' forum? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370940

Keep us posted. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
Thanks for the information, AKDuc and AKjeff.

I don't plan to go anywhere off road and prefer to avoid the touristy area. But since it's the summer, it's probably going to be touristy pretty much everywhere I suppose.

I'm not a big fan of large gathering (yes, more than 4 is considered large by my standard ) so I'm going to avoid rallies and gatherings. But thanks for letting me know.
maiden.jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #60
UT R1150R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
Ferry to Unalaska?

I'm debating whether to ride from SLC, UT up to Prudhoe Bay in July '10 or to take the ferry from Kodiak down to Unalaska.

I would LOVE to see Unalaska but I noticed that it's pretty pricey (for me anyway). For example, it costs about $680 one way for me and my bike. So, that's almost $1,400 in just ferry costs

Has anyone done this before? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks!
UT R1150R is offline   Reply With Quote