ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #61
UT R1150R
Beastly Adventurer
 
UT R1150R's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 7,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT R1150R
I'm debating whether to ride from SLC, UT up to Prudhoe Bay in July '10 or to take the ferry from Kodiak down to Unalaska.

I would LOVE to see Unalaska but I noticed that it's pretty pricey (for me anyway). For example, it costs about $680 one way for me and my bike. So, that's almost $1,400 in just ferry costs

Has anyone done this before? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks!
Nevermind, I just discovered that the ferry only goes to and from Unalaska once a month

I'd have to call into work with a lot of sick days to pull that one off
UT R1150R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #62
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
AKjeff's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Carson Valley
Oddometer: 4,914
Bump, it's getting to be that time of year.
__________________
"We can choose to know better or choose to be bitter." OldRoadToad

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #63
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer
 
Mike955i's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden.jade
I've been thinking about taking the ferry (from Prince Rupert) and then riding in Alaska this coming summer. One question, I think some women may wonder similarly, is it a good idea for a female rider to go solo riding in Alaska? To add to the uncertainty, the said female rider (me ) is not exactly mechanically inclined.

I'm sure there are women who have done that.

On one hand I really want to go but on the other hand, I feel a little apprehensive about my limits. I'm certain I will be PM'ing some of the AK riders to establish contacts with them before I go.

Any thoughts?
I'm doing the same route (Pt Rupert to Juneau, then on to Haines and the highway) some time in mid-late June. I'll be coming from Northern California. PM me if interested and maybe we can ride the initial leg together. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and good with tire changes.

Regardless, have a great trip. Cheers.....Mike
__________________
Just another Dharma Bum, drifting in the void
Mike955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #64
squirley
punk in drublic
 
squirley's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 151
?

I know it's not the Alaska ferry system. But taking Prince Rupert down to Port Hardy on my way home is a possibility for me. Couple of questions though.
1) Does it cut any time off? On the web site it looks like its just a 24 hr ride, but it costs about 370 bucks!

2) Has anyone done this route? I want to ride Vancouver Island on my way home to the lower 48 but if another ferry, say one that drops me off in Prince rupert to ride down is better than I would like to hear. Any advice is welcome!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #65
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirley
I know it's not the Alaska ferry system. But taking Prince Rupert down to Port Hardy on my way home is a possibility for me. Couple of questions though.
1) Does it cut any time off? On the web site it looks like its just a 24 hr ride, but it costs about 370 bucks!

2) Has anyone done this route? I want to ride Vancouver Island on my way home to the lower 48 but if another ferry, say one that drops me off in Prince rupert to ride down is better than I would like to hear. Any advice is welcome!
Sorry, I'm not familiar witht the BC ferry system.

I suggest starting a thread in the 'Canada' forum where you'll get some quick and friendly advice.

Have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #66
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,153
I did prince rupert to port hardy about 6 years ago. Nice ride and I enjoyed riding down the island. I got to port hardy at about 2300 and got to a nearby motel for the night.

Did it save time/no idea.

Heading north to alaska on friday!
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #67
RoyBatty
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RoyBatty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Oddometer: 131
Never done this before.

I'll be heading to Whittier from Prince Rupert on July 5th (The M/V Kennicot). Can anyone give me some tips on streamlining the process on boarding the ferry and what I should expect for vehicle access during the voyage?

Details on the website say: Arrive 3 hours before departure, Have tie-downs for your bike, Have passport ready, No vehicle access during sailing - though we have 2 stops along the way.

Since I'm camping on the deck or sleeping in the solarium, should I pre-pack that stuff and everything else that I'll need to live on deck for 3 days?



Thanks.
__________________
_
09 R1200GS
03 Intruder 1400 chopper
May your journey be filled with adventure, and free from incident. Well OK... maybe a little incident.
-
RoyBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #68
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil
 
Alcan Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Just over the rear wheel
Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBatty
I'll be heading to Whittier from Prince Rupert on July 5th (The M/V Kennicot). Can anyone give me some tips on streamlining the process on boarding the ferry and what I should expect for vehicle access during the voyage?

Details on the website say: Arrive 3 hours before departure, Have tie-downs for your bike, Have passport ready, No vehicle access during sailing - though we have 2 stops along the way.

Since I'm camping on the deck or sleeping in the solarium, should I pre-pack that stuff and everything else that I'll need to live on deck for 3 days?



Thanks.
Generally, you will have access to the car deck any time you are in port, and so long as the seas aren't too rough they will allow access a couple of times per day, as some people have pets in their vehicles that require attention. Still, it is a good idea to carry everything you will need for the first day's travel when you go topside as you can't count on being able to get back down when you want to.

Since the Kennicott travels across the Gulf of Alaska with a beam sea (waves and swells coming from the side) she rolls more than when down along the Inside Passage, so you will want to be sure your bike is well secured. My preference is to use three straps and the sidestand. Two on the left side, one on the right, and make sure the bike can't roll forward and off the sidestand.

As far as boarding - they will load you whenever and wherever they feel it will fit in best, considering the other vehicles to be loaded, and where everyone is getting off. Going to Whittier, you will be one of the last to get off, so will be loaded accordingly. Most of the time you will have plenty of time to tie your bike down and get everything topside before they cast off, unless you're the last vehicle on, in which case they might hurry you a bit.
__________________
"I am in the prime of senility." Ben Franklin
I'm so old I remember when the gallons rose faster than the dollars on gas pumps.
The Lure of the Dalton, The Lure of the Dempster, Haul Road Chronicles, My Evening Rides, Alaska Primer
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #69
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 755
I bought my own straps before leaving AK and was glad I had them. If they are loading motorcycles side-by-side try and get yours on the outside. When disembarking the ship, get down early enough to remove the straps and pack your goods. Spare Keys.
__________________
Tim

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #70
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
So where do the roads in Alaska start connecting?
I'd like to go from Seward to Anchorage to Fairbanks to that dinky sign at the arctic circle and then back down.
Should I stop at Whittier? Cordova? Is there a place further east where it all connects.

Also, I was thinking of taking a ferry from Seattle to someplace in AK, then ride up. Does this exist? Something that connects to the Marine Highway from Washington state. Do I need to make a reservation well in advance?
I know I can ride into Canada, but let's assume I can't.

Kinda vague questions, I know, but I'm just now hashing out a plan.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #71
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
So where do the roads in Alaska start connecting?
I'd like to go from Seward to Anchorage to Fairbanks to that dinky sign at the arctic circle and then back down.
Should I stop at Whittier? Cordova? Is there a place further east where it all connects.

Also, I was thinking of taking a ferry from Seattle to someplace in AK, then ride up. Does this exist? Something that connects to the Marine Highway from Washington state. Do I need to make a reservation well in advance?
I know I can ride into Canada, but let's assume I can't.

Kinda vague questions, I know, but I'm just now hashing out a plan.
Well, the Alaska Marine Highway system does start from Bellingham Wa.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #72
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Well, the Alaska Marine Highway system does start from Bellingham Wa.
indeed!
I'm just starting to do some research thx for the tip!
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #73
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
Also, I was thinking of taking a ferry from Seattle to someplace in AK, then ride up. Does this exist? Something that connects to the Marine Highway from Washington state. Do I need to make a reservation well in advance?
I know I can ride into Canada, but let's assume I can't.
To totally avoid Canada requires a VERY long and expensive boat ride!

You'll have to take the once a week ferry out of Bellingham, WA up to Ketchikan or Juneau, AK to catch the once a month ferry up to Whittier, AK on my least favorite ferry, the MV Kennicott. Reservations for a motorcycle usually aren't as critical as for a 4-wheeled vehicle.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #74
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
To totally avoid Canada requires a VERY long and expensive boat ride!

You'll have to take the once a week ferry out of Bellingham, WA up to Ketchikan or Juneau, AK to catch the once a month ferry up to Whittier, AK on my least favorite ferry, the MV Kennicott. Reservations for a motorcycle usually aren't as critical as for a 4-wheeled vehicle.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
Ouch, I didn't know it was that bad.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #75
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
If I do take a ferry starting from Bellingham, will I need a passport?
It looks like the ship goes from Bellingham straight to Ketchikan, skipping over Prince Rupert (Canada). I have nothing against Canada, honest.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014