User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #76
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Ok n/m
So assume I can get to Prince Rupert by the end of the first week of August.
I can get from Prince Rupert to KETCHIKAN, no problems, since there are plenty of departures from YPR.
Ditto for JUNEAU.
But going from JUNEAU to someplace further north is a pita.
It looks like I wont be able to get to WHITTIER until Thu, Aug 19 .

Anyone have a decent route for me to take to the towns further north?
I plan on being at Prince Rupert by the end of the first week of August.

Thanks folks. This really is the last frontier, isn't it?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #77
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
If I do take a ferry starting from Bellingham, will I need a passport?
It looks like the ship goes from Bellingham straight to Ketchikan, skipping over Prince Rupert (Canada). I have nothing against Canada, honest.
You can do it without a passport, but I think you have to sail all the way to Seward. There is no way to get from Ketchikan to Anchorage without going though Canada.

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #78
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

If I can get to Skagway or Haines, it looks like I can take the Haines or Klondike highway into Canada and connect with the Alaskan Highway to Anchorage.
This may be better since there are more frequent ferry departures from Prince Rupert.

Does that make sense?
What are the roads like for a sportbike?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #79
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
If I can get to Skagway or Haines, it looks like I can take the Haines or Klondike highway into Canada and connect with the Alaskan Highway to Anchorage.
This may be better since there are more frequent ferry departures from Prince Rupert.

Does that make sense?
What are the roads like for a sportbike?
That is exactly how many riders make the trip, either coming north or going back south.

The roads are all paved, although there is some construction going on every summer, especially north of Haines Junction. Sport bikes, cruisers, touring bikes, dualsports, etc. all make the trip successfully every year. Success or failure is far more dependent upon the rider than the bike.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #80
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 754
Bellingham to Haines or Skagway is 3.5 days and fairly expensive though you do not stop in Canada. I enjoyed my (reverse) stay very much. I had a room though you could save money and sleep on the deck in a tent or on a lounge chair (many do it). Showers, laundry, restaurants, and some movies are available. The ride from Haines to Haines Junction is awe inspiring. Destruction Bay is nice. If you go to Anchorage you might as well go to the Kenai Peninsula (it is worth the ride).

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #81
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

we're going to be on the matanuska on tuesday in prince rupert.
going to haines. if anyone else is onboard, we'd like to say hi.
my wifi access will be spotty at best from now until then.
look for a blue yamaha fz6 and a black fz1.

hope to meet up with some folks!!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #82
Uncledeadly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Rough planning for summer 2011

I'm planning for the Summer 2011 Alaska Ride.
Was sort of thinking I'd hop a southbound boat out of Haines and ride it to Prince Rupert.
What would be the best time of day to board so that I am sure to see the most impressive sites during daylight hours? Or doesn't it matter that much?
Is the cost around $380 (bike and rider). Took me quite a while to decipher that trip and fare schedule on their website...lol
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #83
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledeadly
What would be the best time of day to board so that I am sure to see the most impressive sites during daylight hours? Or doesn't it matter that much?
It varies quite a bit year to year and boat to boat. You'll just have to check next year's schedule when it comes out.

Since it's a 2-day trip from Haines to Rupert is kinda inevitable you're gonna pull into a town or two at night. Going in and out of Sitka can also add about 6hrs to the trip but not all ferries make that stop.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #84
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Thanks for the information
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #85
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
Question WOW ferry prices

We are heading up to beautiful Alaska, Yukon and NT from BC, Canada leaving July 4th 2011. Heading up north east BC to start and Dawson creek. On the way back home we would LOVE to take the Skagway Ferry to Prince Rupert then Prince Rupert BC Ferry to Port HArdy....but as far as $$ goes this will cost about $1600 CDN dollars for both of us and our 2 bikes...so.....the question...is it worth the Skagway Ferry ride to PR and then skip Vancouver Island....make that ride for another trip and just ride home from Prince Rupert to the Vancouver area?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #86
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
so.....the question...is it worth the Skagway Ferry ride to PR and then skip Vancouver Island....make that ride for another trip and just ride home from Prince Rupert to the Vancouver area?
In my humble (but highly experienced ) opinion - yes, it is definitely worth it. For me, the ride all the way down to Bellingham (not all that far south of Vancouver) was about 1 1/2 days too long. In the past fifty years I have often ridden the ferry from Haines down to Prince Rupert, but only once to Bellingham. That was enough.

From P.R. east along the Skeena River on the Yellowhead Hwy it's pretty scenic at least to Smithers, and not bad beyond, until you approach Prince George. South of there on the Cariboo Hwy it gets better again, and south of Cache Creek the ride down through the Thompson and Fraser River canyons is beautiful. You also have the option of turning west north of Cache Creek and going through Lillooet to enjoy a fantastic ride down the Sea to Sky Hwy to Vancouver. All in all, it's hard to beat the riding available all over southern B.C.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #87
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
We are heading up to beautiful Alaska, Yukon and NT from BC, Canada leaving July 4th 2011. Heading up north east BC to start and Dawson creek. On the way back home we would LOVE to take the Skagway Ferry to Prince Rupert then Prince Rupert BC Ferry to Port HArdy....but as far as $$ goes this will cost about $1600 CDN dollars for both of us and our 2 bikes...so.....the question...is it worth the Skagway Ferry ride to PR and then skip Vancouver Island....make that ride for another trip and just ride home from Prince Rupert to the Vancouver area?
Did you select a cabin? You can save a lot of money by sleeping in the solarium or the movie lounge. Skip the cabin!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #88
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Did you select a cabin? You can save a lot of money by sleeping in the solarium or the movie lounge. Skip the cabin!!
there are two of us and 2 bikes and of course we did not select a cabin...I'm actually looking forward to sleeping out on the deck...it's a two day trip or a little more correct?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #89
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 844
wow

great thread. extremely useful. this has been so helpful. Thanks to the OP and those that jumped in that have ridden on the AMH

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #90
adventurecycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
awesome info! Thanks

2002 BMW R1150GS
adventurecycle is offline   Reply With Quote