Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #91
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,918
Current plans are for there to be two sailings a month from Bellingham, WA. across the gulf to near Anchorage. This will eliminate the need to go through Canada for anyone that can't.

The schedule isn't out yet, so I don't know if they're taking reservations for these sailings.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #92
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
Current plans are for there to be two sailings a month from Bellingham, WA. across the gulf to near Anchorage. This will eliminate the need to go through Canada for anyone that can't.

The schedule isn't out yet, so I don't know if they're taking reservations for these sailings.
This sounds like an incredible, and very long, trip. Haines, Gustavus, Yakutat, Cordova, Seward, Seldovia, Homer, Kenai, Anchorage. If they offer this trip I might do it one way and ride the other half.
I had the pleasure of the Haines to Bellingham 3.5 day trip. Other than having a banged up knee I had a fantastic trip with excellent weather, meeting many new friends, and enjoying the inland passage.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #93
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
there are two of us and 2 bikes and of course we did not select a cabin...I'm actually looking forward to sleeping out on the deck...it's a two day trip or a little more correct?
Don't even think about doing anything but sleeping on deck. you can check out our ride report from last year in the sig line.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #94
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
wow.....what a trip you had with your son....just awesome and we will relax on the ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert....just really great to see you and your son have such an adventure....well done on your RR.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #95
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
I'm a little confused... is the ride between Prince RUpert and Haines a bit boring, or is there some other reason why many take the boat instead? Or is it more for the experience of being on the boat and seeing AK from the water.

I'm debating my route and it's definitely more expensive to take the ferry, but if it's a "must experience" event then I'll pay the extra money and give my butt a rest for two days.

Thanks for any advice! I would be on the boat on May 24-25, returning on August 16 or so if that makes a difference. I know it's going to be chilly in May, so a break from cold riding may be nice.
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #96
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

The scenery is great. Riding the ferry is the only way you can see Southeast AK., unless you ride around and come down to saltwater in Haines or Skagway. There is no other road access.

Some people go to Haines or Skagway and ride the ferry to the other town. This gets a short ferry ride in and you get to see both towns without having to back track over roads you'v already seen.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #97
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
I'm a little confused... is the ride between Prince RUpert and Haines a bit boring, or is there some other reason why many take the boat instead? Or is it more for the experience of being on the boat and seeing AK from the water.

I'm debating my route and it's definitely more expensive to take the ferry, but if it's a "must experience" event then I'll pay the extra money and give my butt a rest for two days.

Thanks for any advice! I would be on the boat on May 24-25, returning on August 16 or so if that makes a difference. I know it's going to be chilly in May, so a break from cold riding may be nice.
we are taking the ferry for the experience and also to see the coast from the water....
Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #98
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
WOw thanks for quick replies!

Two other questions:

With limited car access, is it pretty safe to just leave your stuff sitting around on deck all day? The cynic in me automatically thinks of theft. I'd keep my phone, wallet, etc with me at all times, but what about all the other stuff... safe to leave it? I'm planning on using the solarium.

I'm planning on boarding in Prince Rupert and sailing to either Haines or Skagway. Is one better than the other for scenery, roads out, etc? The price difference is negligible.
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #99
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Most people set up camp in the solarium and leave their stuff there. I think having other passengers around keeps everyone honest, no one should go through your gear if everyone else knows it's your space.

Roll out your sleeping bag to mark your space and leave everything else in a duffel bag or back pack. I think your riding gear should be OK left on the bike, or you may want to bring a cable lock to lock it to the bike.

I've never been through Skagway, so I can't compare it to Haines. If you're going up to the interior Haines is closer than Skagway.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #100
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
With limited car access, is it pretty safe to just leave your stuff sitting around on deck all day? The cynic in me automatically thinks of theft. I'd keep my phone, wallet, etc with me at all times, but what about all the other stuff... safe to leave it? I'm planning on using the solarium.
The Matanuska had lockers to rent.
I never used them, though.
I left my riding gear near my bike, nothing happened to it, besides getting a little wet.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #101
soph9
Bike Addict

also from what I have read we need to bring our own tie downs to secure our bikes....correct?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #102
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
also from what I have read we need to bring our own tie downs to secure our bikes....correct?
yup.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #103
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 756
With a knee injury I rode from Kenai to Haines (not to be forgotten ride) caught the ferry to Bellingham and rode to Sacramento. The ferry trip was exceptional. I would have never guessed or expected such a trip. Met a now friend in Haines and a half dozen people on the ferry that I still communicate with. I missed the ride experience though gained the AMHS experience. The Alaska Inland Passage is one of a kind with many different views. We had excellent weather.
I bought tie-downs but the Deck Master gave me their tie-downs to use. The Deck Master moved my motorcycle to accomodate other motorcycles. He did a great job of securing the KLR and using good tie-down points. You can only get to your motorcycle allowed by the crew which is quite often since many of the passengers have animals they have to feed and water.
You can't go wrong with either choice of passage.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #104
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,517
Getting to be that time of year again so, ttt.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #105
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Taking the Alaska Ferry was one of the high-lites of our ride to Alaska. Besides the incredible scenery the whole way and meeting some interesting people, I would say it is a must do. And thanks to the Alaska riders for the great info. Great people living in the Great Land...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote