My first Sprinter 2002 140"...

My Current one, an 04 140".....

Rallymoto hauler of choice
Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #32
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
Yo...

I just turned 21,000 miles on mine this last weekend when we went to the Mojave to ride offroad and camp at Jawbone Canyon. Two bikes inside, all the crap two people could never use for camping and tons of room left over. Mine is the medium length, tall, passenger version with windows and rear AC.
Loaded down with everything going 80 (on the limiter) in 105 degree weather with both AC's blaring, I get about 18 mpg. With a trailer with two bikes, minding my own buisiness at West Fest last year I got 22mpg. Around town, regular city driving I get 22 -24. The thing is 9.5 feet tall, those numbers are very reasonable. On our trip to Mojave, I blew a Turbo Resonator http://www.riordanco.com/projects_success.htm and went into limp mode luckily the next dealor was in San Bernadino and this VERY COMMON failure was a snap for them to repair and they had the part in stock.

I Love my Sprinter very much. It has been on so many trips now and works so well. I have some ideas for customizing the interior for function (water supply, heated water, sleeping, window netting, etc) and keeping the total versatility that I enjoy so much now.

At Skip's Blood Moon Bash

wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,526
WHo makes the engines for these?

Dodge?
Freightliner?
MB?
Other?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #34
Dbear
Hanging on

Oddometer: 14,857
MB Diesels I believe.
Dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #35
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

THe entire thing is Mercedes Benz. It has a couple of badges and a grill that makes them Dodges or Freightliners.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #36
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
2004 140" high-top
Running 75-80 (on the limiter)
21-24 mpg

lowest was 17.8 mpg fighting a headwind accross I-64 thru WV.

Will make it from my house to Moab in 29 hours quite comfortably with 2 drivers alternating shifts.

I want to do the interior camper conversion, just haven't gotten to it just yet..

Got any build picks Misha?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #37
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Hey CM, I think our avatars are fighting.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #38
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear
MB Diesels I believe.
I was on a sprinter forum . It said something about the NEW motor. It's diffrent due to emmisons. It's a MB,bmw,vw motor design ? Prices have gone to near 40k for them. Guess I 'll keep my GMC duramax being it's paid 4 . My bro have best bike tow that's best MPG- VW Golf TDI. Two bikes no sweat on small light weight aluminum trailer.
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #39
Dbear
Hanging on

Oddometer: 14,857
This one is on Flea Bay - said to be repairable...

Dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #40
misha
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
Misha - Would you provide more details on your conversion and specifically how it transforms from cargo van to camper? Nifty Idea. I'm familiar with the sportsmobile conversions (great camper and will run 21-25 MPG on the road) but have the need for a cargo van during the week and a camper occasionally.

Thanks
I've spent a lot of time over at the Sprinter forum in Yahoo, and I've seen a bunch of DIY camper conversions, but I've not seen any like mine (in that it is pretty darn close to a removable, full class B rv).

Here's what I did (I'll try to keep it brief). Let me preface this by saying that I make my living as a cabinetmaker, so I had a bit of an advantage.

First I put soundproofing material, insulation, ran wiring for lighting and a ceiling fan, and put in wood siding and a curved wooden ceiling. Then I installed I-track at waist height for securing loads (when it's in cargo mode).
Then I installed a European cabinet hanging rail at about 60". All of the above is a permanent install.

Everything that follows is removable: I made the upper cabinets, which hang on the rail. No need to screw them to anything each time. Tricky part here is that the backs of the cabinets are curved, to match the radius of the ceiling.
Base cabinets sit on the floor (and get screwed to the wooden wall). The couch slides out to be a double bed (well a bit narrower than a double). The couch screws to the floor and wall.

I installed an auxilliary 12v power system that runs the ceiling fan, the water pump for the sink, and the lights. I have a 30gal water tank under the sink and a 5gal waste water tank in another cabinet. A 3-burner Coleman stove. We use a cooler for refrigeration and a small rv porta-potty.

My wife made curtains and upholstered the couch.

I put a swivel on the passenger seat. The awning clips onto the rain gutter. Other than the fan, I did not cut any holes in the van.

My gripe with the commercial rv conversions on these Sprinters is that they try to pack so much into them (like a shower and toilet) that there is not much room left for storage. Mine has tons of storage.

When I first got the van I was excited about the possibility of marketing and building these, but I quickly realized that there is way too much liability: I'm not an electrician and my propane set-up doesn't meet code.

But, if any of you guys ever needs some woodworking (only) for one of these, don't hesitate to contact me. Especially if you live anywhere near central PA.
misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #41
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha
But, if any of you guys ever needs some woodworking (only) for one of these, don't hesitate to contact me. Especially if you live anywhere near central PA.
Drop me a PM with your contact information please.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #42
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha
I've spent a lot of time over at the Sprinter forum in Yahoo, and I've seen a bunch of DIY camper conversions, but I've not seen any like mine (in that it is pretty darn close to a removable, full class B rv).

Here's what I did (I'll try to keep it brief).
Thanks! The sportsmobile I have used is arranged similarly and without the shower, toilet, etc so I can visualize both the differences and similarities. The big difference of course is the permanent mount verses removable. Important concept is to think in 3D regarding the curvature of the van walls and ceiling. The owner of the camper I've used was more concerned about storage and usability than he was with frills so it is pure utilitarian camper but permanent. You've given me some things to really think about.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #43
raindog OP
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
I really like the sportmobile utilitarian version..tons of storage..add the 'Penthouse" extension and you have a sleeping loft and an 8' ceiling height.

this would be the perfect rig for me, rainwife, the ailing raindog and the pituitary nightmare rainspawn
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #44
drcool
R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer: 3,072
I have 2 short/low 1 long/low and 1long/tall. They are awsome trucks but not for everyone. I had enough of the POS full size vans with gas v-8s getting 8-10mpg. Even with the ladder racks on top we are in the 20 range. Be careful with maintenance and they will last us 10 years and 500,000. If I had unlimited funds all 8 of my service vans would be sprinters.

Some day soon we will all get small deisel engines that run on the smell of your shop rag but for now we'll deal with the heavy vehicles.

How about a 650 dual sport deisel that gets 100mpg or better.

drcool
drcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #45
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog
I really like the sportmobile utilitarian version..tons of storage..add the 'Penthouse" extension and you have a sleeping loft and an 8' ceiling height.

this would be the perfect rig for me, rainwife, the ailing raindog and the pituitary nightmare rainspawn

Find a dealer and ask about buying their demo or show model. Friend did that and bought his as a "demo" unit. It was very lightly used and he saved over $20K.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: