Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #46
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,896
Sprinter Forum is a helpful site, I've found:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

Mine would/will be a low-roof model with windows, to fill the niche my old VW Bus occupied.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #47
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,582
The thing is made by Mercedes Benz. My pal Crazy Charles has blinged his "Dodge Sprinter" out with a kit that includes Benz tri-stars for all over the thing... hub caps, grill cover, steering wheel, shift lever and so forth. When he took it to the dealer for service, the service writer chided him on the tri-stars. Charles opened the hood and pointed to the tri-star on the valve cover and asked, "So... you have factory trained mechanics for this vehicle, right? Were they trained at the factory in Detroit or in Stuttgart?"
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #48
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,375
BOURKECO on this site has a killer one, all Mercedes.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #49
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear
This one is on Flea Bay - said to be repairable...

They say golf balls are very aerodynamic - that fucker aughta FLY!

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #50
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
PM Rockbreaker if you want to know about the newest generation. He has a new high top panel version.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #51
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,673
I own two of 'em, earlier Freightliner-badged models. They're in ambulance service, and each racks up over 100K miles annually. I have a lot of experience and opinions about these units.

First, I wouldn't buy another for commercial duty. That said, I'd consider one for personal use. In contrast to the Fords that comprise the rest of our fleet, these highly-engineered Teutonic wonders are built like spacecraft rather than like trucks. Our guys have battered the shit out of 'em through daily use...sheetmetal is all dented from hands slamming doors, door handles pulled off, controls broken, doors literally falling off the hinges. The Fords get ridden hard, too, but are much stouter and require much less upkeep.

Second, the vaunted Mercedes drivetrains really let us down. Our Fords go hundreds of thousands of miles without problems or major maintenance (well, after we sorted out all the crap E40D trannies in the early '90's). These things both went through complete engines and trannies in the first 100K miles! No diesel should do that, much less a commercial van. These aren't even in front-line 911 duty, either. They clock miles doing mostly long-distance runs...easy duty. Dodge did acknowledge some partial responsibility and cut us a check for a portion of the work.

When things go wrong...little things, like headlights and tail lamps...it's a major PITA to fix them. We feel that they're over-engineered and underbuilt for commercial service.

OTH, they are nicely powered, get good fuel economy (21 mpg pushing a raised top and lightbars fore and aft), handle nicely, turn practically in their own length, and show very nice fit and finish. They are NOT plush at all, but clearly built for commercial service. That's why we've been disappointed in them. Others have enjoyed great success with them, but it's the fleet managers that have the real perspective on these things. Overall cost of ownership, in our experience, has been outrageous. You can buy an awful lot of damned diesel for the price of a new MB 5-cyl turbo diesel and transmission!

YMMV
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #52
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
"So... you have factory trained mechanics for this vehicle, right? Were they trained at the factory in Detroit or in Stuttgart?"
Saltillo, Coahuila
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #53
raindog OP
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
thanks for the tips all . interesting on the commercial experience. There are two here locally. one a daily driver, hauler and one kitted out for RV. Both are 2 years old and both owners have completely drank the kool-aid..they love em.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #54
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,805
Dodge Sprinter

Thinking about getting one. Gonna get one that is pretty bare and make a toy hauler / camper out of it. DanWife just isn't into the 12 hour (or 22 in one case) marathon rides. And bitches when I leave her home (which is why I won't be at the bugscuffle this month). So what's the concensus.
The good, the bad amd the ugly.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #55
Britmick
Banned

Oddometer: 4,235
Laugh

l think that's a wonderful idea & you should both be very happy,& it will lead to a closer relationship when you have to share a chemical toilet.
Britmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #56
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,254
There was a thread on the Sprinter a few months ago....... there was some good info and links.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #57
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
What I see as bad:

no manual transmission

no 4x4

Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #58
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
PM Wagonpilot. Remember, Chris brought his to the Blood Moon Bounce Bash last fall, nice rig!
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #59
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,367
I think sas drives one. I remember a ride report where there weas a breakdown and Sprinter to the rescue.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #60
G-van drone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
talked to Fedex & UPS guys driving 'em . . . pretty good fuel economy (diesel), but finding a dealer that will service them was the complaint . . . . and they are a Mercedes design, so you'll pay M-B prices for parts & such

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: