Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #31
MihaiVeniamin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by paochow
The new EXC's aren't shim under bucket, but rather a design where the rocker arm interfaces directly with the shim. Much easier to swap shims on than a DRZ as you don't need to remove the cam, just the rocker arm, which doesn't affect cam timing...

I've read your article about valve adjustment for DRZ and also for EXC-R
It it easier on KTM's.

and because I can not buy anymore a DRZ new (in europe) I will go for a second hand KTM.

anyway in EUROPE if u want to buy a new bike it has to have the EURO III on it, in other cases u can not get it registrated.
MihaiVeniamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #32
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaiVeniamin
I am inlove of this bike: it is light, powerfull,easy to work on, 6 gears, cheaper parts and more FUN.
Now that is what is most important.
paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Durability vs Reliability is a valid point. I contend that the DRZ and RFS are dead even on both counts. Many people don't ride RFS bikes enough to test it. They tend to be more of the "nasty terrain/race/single-track type of rider, and they don't rack up the miles and hours like many DRZ guys do. I do all of that, and I have owned an RFS since 03, it has at least 25,000 hard miles on it. Race, DS, a little pavement, and many trail miles. The RFS will do it as well as the DRZ, for just as long. I also am on my 2nd DRZ 400, have owned DR 250 and 350, many XRs, and such. I am very impressed with the RFS. Mine is finally giving up with worn out counter balancer issues. It's about time! I doubt that my beloved old XR 600s would have lasted like my RFS. I know the frames would be broken in half. I owned at least 10 of those, the RFS is better in almost every way. Again, to me it's equal between RFS and DRZ. Just buy which one you want, maintain it, and ride the piss out of it. You'll be happy. Or buy a KLR, ride it for 75,000 miles and cuss the weight, handling, brakes, and ugliness. And you'll miss it when it's gone. Don't ask me why.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
The DRZ is very high on the "durability" factor, which reduces not only the amount of time and money needed to maintain the bike, but also reduces the cost of ownership if you keep it for tens of thousands of miles. If you only will ride a bike 10k miles in 10 years, then you don't care so much about durability. My $0.02.
My old DRZ required a constant diet of money.... mostly to make it go faster and handle better.

My next bike will most likely be a KTM but since I can only get one for now I'm having a hard time deciding which '08 model line to go with first (EXC or LC4).
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #35
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
My old DRZ required a constant diet of money.... mostly to make it go faster and handle better.
True. But if one lowers their expectations, then the DRZ is OK in stock form. It could be worse - one could have a KLR650, spend a lot of money, and it still won't be anywhere near a DRZ.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #36
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
True. But if one lowers their expectations, then the DRZ is OK in stock form. It could be worse - one could have a KLR650, spend a lot of money, and it still won't be anywhere near a DRZ.
But the KLR will be a better long distance 90/10 bike.
paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #37
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by paochow
But the KLR will be a better long distance 90/10 bike.
If you mean 90% street and 10% dirt you'll get no argument from me. The super-wide seat (for a dirtbike) on the KLR and it's extra wieght are golden on the super slap compared with a DRZ I would imagine.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #38
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Do you want to ride or do you want to RIDE, are you a maintenance man with a few beers or just the beers. DRZ's are favorites with rental mobs because they dont break, much. If you are likely to do alot of maintenance on a DRZ then buy the KTM, you will love working on it, make KTM talk your home page and giggle every time you ride it. You will spend more money on modding a DRZ and it still wont be as good as a stock RFS, A properly kept KTM should do 25000 miles without a drama.

Think of yourself at 80 yo, talking to your grandson, telling him about the bikes you used to ride!
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #39
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
In the Fall of 09 I plan to ride from Michigan to the tip of South America and back. I think the DRZ400 will be the best bike for me, but my rascal side wants me to take a KTM 450. Will the KTM be able to deal with the altitude demands and poor quality gas of South America or should I be sticking with the DRZ?

lawyer1219, your bike is my dream bike with the addition of some gear hauling capabilities. Do you have any more info or pics about it?
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #40
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund
In the Fall of 09 I plan to ride from Michigan to the tip of South America and back. I think the DRZ400 will be the best bike for me, but my rascal side wants me to take a KTM 450. Will the KTM be able to deal with the altitude demands and poor quality gas of South America or should I be sticking with the DRZ?

lawyer1219, your bike is my dream bike with the addition of some gear hauling capabilities. Do you have any more info or pics about it?
The stock RFS motor runs at about 11:1 compression ratio while a Suzuki DRZ runs at better than 12:1. If anything, I think the DRZ would have bigger issues with poor quality gas.

With the addition of an HT oil cooler and the radiator fan kit, I think the EXC would be more than capable of the trip you are planning. Here is how I outfitted my 525 for longer distance treks.

Everything is removable in a matter of seconds to convert from full-dress to full-play.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
Jaggerdss
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I read these theads about the drz vs ktm and its always the same thing. What it comes down to is the ktm is the rich kid on the block that everyone is jealous of until he is their friend. I own a 06 drz400s and i love it. But when i get the dough im getting the ktm. My nephew races ktm 450's (supercross). They are durable and maintenance intervals are manufacturer suggested (key word) . They also assume you are like my nephew, in your 20's and running supsrcross. Well im not and ill bet most of the rest of us on this forum are not either so the whole maintenance thing just throw out the window. Btw, i bought my drz with 1100 miles ob it from a guy that could not start it with the e-start. He could only push start it. The valves were too tight and needed adjustment.
If you have the money buy the ktm. If not buy the drz and ride until you can afford the ktm.
And one last thing. Go 143 ( shameless plug)

Also. Newer Husabergs are supposed to be just as reliable as the KTM's as they essentially are KTM's.They are supposed to handle a little smoother though (for us old dudes) Husquavarna's I do not like due to I personally know a WORCS racer that lost several races due to his Husky blowing up while he was leading the race. Not just one or two races either. In fact he got so pissed off that even though sponsored and his bikes were free he bought his own CRF450 to compete.. Also I know several others with problems with them.

Jaggerdss screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 05:32 PM
Jaggerdss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Ive owned both an 09 450 exc and now a 03 drz400e- yes- the ktm is superior in all categories to the drz mostly but right now,I need a cheap,reliable daily driver/off roader that is reliable, has huge aftermarket and I like the fact that I can go longer on maintenance than more racier bikes that ive had for example like my last bike [yz426] I also got a street bike [kz1000]that I use for hwy use and I use the drz for around town and commuting to work and off road duty..its a gas to ride the E around and I just came back from trying out a 44 tooth sprocket which I like way better than the 47...now to figure out if I should go with a 15 tooth or 16 tooth front sprocket

zokalr13 screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 08:20 PM
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #43
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,002
The KTM and DRZ are similar in reliability but the KTM BLOWS the DRZ away in every conceivable category....power, suspension, brakes, parts, weight, gearbox, etc etc etc.

How is this even a question?

People buy DRZs because they don't know enough about KTMs or are scared because they listen to people that don't know what they are talking about.

A 04-07 KTM EXC will be similar in price as well.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #44
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,515
I really hope the OP has made a decision...

Considering this thread has been dormant for over 4 years and all.

If he can't make up his mind in 4 years it is never going to happen.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #45
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I had a drz s and as a dual sport it was great in many ways. But it screamed for a 6th gear and a better ratio to ride on an off road at the same time. Flip side is you dont have to worry about finiky servicing.I did get a 450 rfs exc and it eclipsed the drz but it was no dual sporter after 500 miles the engine oil needed changing as the gears went tight and it needed lots more lookin after air filter valves all need regular checkin. There is a price for higher spec

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote