User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Barbarin OP
Espaρa

Oddometer: 80
NC750X or Crosstourer... Or AT 2014?

I'm thinking seriously on investing on a new or almost new bike. Having owned an RD07 for a few years, and being very happy with it... But being realistic is a 20 year old bike, and one day is the axle, next day calipers, and any day any other thing. I do enjoy bikes riding them, not in the garage. In addition is thirsty, has no ABS, and some other issues which make her great for many things, but for traveling.

Well... for emotional reasons it should be an Honda, as every bike I have owned. It must be trail, not because I'm a hardcore off road, but I do like to get out of the tarmac from time to time, or at least to be able to do it. It must be reliable, but with Honda it should not be a problem. I do like that riding position and my damaged back find it more confortable.

I do use my bike very often in the city, but the reason I have it is for weekend trips, and when is possible longer ones.

So, as I do love my AT, with my heart is saying me is to wait for the always coming but never arriving new AT. Looking at the new NC750X it seems that is going to be even more difficult to have a new AT. Is not the same thing, I now, but is to close in regards of market reasons to have a room for a new one.

Then, unless I can find more signals that the new AT is more than a dream, I need to look at existing options.

NC750X... Not exciting, but not expensive, to buy and to run. More money on my pocket for trips. With 54 CV now I won't miss the power of the AT.

Crosstourer. This is the technological, exciting, expensive, and breathtaking option. Big cons, its mileage when in the city, and its weight when off road. If it falls and you are alone, I think you have no other way but to look for help.

All the opinions are welcome, specialy those coming from owners.
Barbarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I'd go with the NC750 over the Crosstourer because of the lower weight and fuel economy altho elsewhere oncthis forum it really does seem like the AT is coming it might be worth waiting one more year

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I am waiting for the 2015 Africa Twin. However, if Honda were to give additional off-road capabilities to the NC750X or CB500X, I would be willing to go that route. My off-road needs are modest, but they are true needs.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarin View Post
Crosstourer. This is the technological, exciting, expensive, and breathtaking option. Big cons, its mileage when in the city, and its weight when off road. If it falls and you are alone, I think you have no other way but to look for help.

All the opinions are welcome, specialy those coming from owners.

Noooo... not true, look at the photo, I took it near a lot of sand the other day, and it stayed upright! I tell you I was worried but luckily the bitumen supported the side stand in the heat!

You can go off road on the Crosstourer, I took my GS's off road occasionally as well, hell I wrote one off. Lift a GSA? You can lift a Crosstourer! But when you're on road, this things fun!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
LondonGent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Another vote of confidence for the Crosstourer. Yes, it is very big and heavy but the ergos's, the build quality and the absolutely superb grunt laden engine more than offset the drawbacks.
It's great on the open road as it has huge presence and mile munching ability.
Can't comment on the NC700 as not ridden one but it's low power (45hp?) would feel very feeble after the 127hp of the CT..
LondonGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Barbarin OP
Espaρa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGent View Post
Another vote of confidence for the Crosstourer. Yes, it is very big and heavy but the ergos's, the build quality and the absolutely superb grunt laden engine more than offset the drawbacks.
It's great on the open road as it has huge presence and mile munching ability.
Can't comment on the NC700 as not ridden one but it's low power (45hp?) would feel very feeble after the 127hp of the CT..
Thanks for your input. I need more NC700X fans here to balance everything or I will end up with a Crosstourer! What can you tell me about the urban consume?

Regarding the power of the NC700X, you are right, it was 47 HP, but now they have increased from 670cc to 750cc, getting 54 HP. As long as my good old AT is (or was) 61 HP, I dont think I'm going to miss too many horses. Probably a brand new NC750X is way faster than my AT.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
LondonGent
Adventurer

Regarding fuel consumption, the Crosstourer does like to drink petrol! It is a 1237cc V4 after all..

On my usual London commute, 12 miles each way in heavy city traffic, I usually get 33 - 35 miles per gallon.

On open roads and motorways I have got as high as 50 mpg.

Considering the 127hp and 93ft lb of torque, I'm very happy with the fuel usage
Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I need more NC700X fans here to balance everything or I will end up with a Crosstourer! What can you tell me about the urban consume?

Regarding the power of the NC700X, you are right, it was 47 HP, but now they have increased from 670cc to 750cc, getting 54 HP. As long as my good old AT is (or was) 61 HP, I dont think I'm going to miss too many horses. Probably a brand new NC750X is way faster than my AT.
Stop talking HP figures and go and ride them. The NC is a very different motor than most are used to.

The Xtourer is a big torqey engine as well but not the same thing and is great long distance relaxed tourer and no chain maintenance.

NC is easier to take into dirt, simply because it's COG is lower and its lighter by about 60Kg and is built more for commute than tour and runs on the whiff of a petrol bower.

They are both X bikes. They will both probably last 30 years if looked after. They are both probably going to last 200,000K Plus. You will be probably be doing about the same average speed on both over the year.
You will probably use 30% of the NC's power doing that and 15% of the Xtourers 98% of the time.

So go and see what you think in the real world.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:

My NC700X feels like a fully loaded Goldwing c/w a Sumo wrestler for a pillion, off road, compared to my DR350S.

I can't even imagine what the high up weight of a VFR1200-based machine would feel like off road! Over 600 lbs, curb weight? Oooooof!

The NC700X makes my F800ST feel like a paint shaking machine that failed the quality control inspection, and was thrown in the dustbin. BMW trolled back alleys looking for engine designs to mount in a bike and sell them for outrageous money, found the paint mixer, and went: "Ausgezeichnet und wunderbar!"

I am on the darkside of $1,300.00 dollars spent on suspension add ons alone so far, and I'm not begrudging a single penny. (Ricor Intimidators, Nitron racing shock) For me, my NCX is so fricking awesome that I'm willing to spend a gazillion dollars on farkles without blinking an eye.

That I can do it simply for something to do, rather than let BMW bleed me dry in failures, parts, repairs, and weasel dealer lies and service crap, has been indescribably delicious. You have no idea how relieved I am now.

I've had 22 bikes in over 40 years, including liter+ bikes, Turbos, 2-strokes, etc. The power output of the 700X feels just fine to me. I have zero desire for any more HP to make it "fun".

Maybe they are not everyone's cup of tea, and for sure I don't hold that against people who dislike them. It's great to have diversity!

-A diehard NC700X Fanboy
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGent View Post
Regarding fuel consumption, the Crosstourer does like to drink petrol! It is a 1237cc V4 after all..

On my usual London commute, 12 miles each way in heavy city traffic, I usually get 33 - 35 miles per gallon.

On open roads and motorways I have got as high as 50 mpg.

Considering the 127hp and 93ft lb of torque, I'm very happy with the fuel usage
Managed 360K's before refuelling on the country trips, I think for the motor (and my restraint) that's fairly reasonable.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
LondonGent
Adventurer

That CB500X looks like a great bike and I'm sure its all the bike anyone would ever need. Ditto the NC700X.
But 'need' and 'want' and 'desire' are all subjective things and in the real world no one really 'needs' a bike faster than, say 70mph..

But I'm certainly very grateful for 1237cc's and 4 cylinders banging away underneath me when I choose to open my CT up on a deserted bit of road!
I don't need that amount of power the majority of the time but when the mood takes me its great to know I've got 127 ponies on my side
Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^+100. If you factor needle for "need" is high go get your cage and leave the rest of us lust driven fools alone.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
dodgierogie
Adventurer

I get between 16 and 19 km/ltr depending on speed and wind, mind you im always fully loaded with camping gear.i find the it gets bit better economy than what the average fuel consumption sais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
Managed 360K's before refuelling on the country trips, I think for the motor (and my restraint) that's fairly reasonable.
dodgierogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #14
Barbarin OP
Espaρa

Well, day by day I'm moving towards the NC750X, and it seems and as long as I'm saving 7000 € compared to the CST I still will have money to make some "improvements" and farkles.

Thinking about the possibility of a new Africa Twin... How could it be? Looking at the NC750X... How could be it? Very likely it should be something very similar, probably a kind of "R" version of it, with some extra HP (different software for the injection, maybe some more cc's...), improved suspensions, lighter components (alloy frame?). Well, to my opinion it should follow the way of the NC, and use that engine. So, worst of the cases, it wont be that different.

Now, a question for those of you who took the NC into off road... what are the mods, other than knobbies, that you recommend me?

The extra HP and the sophistication of the CST are a temptation, but I owned already a CBR1100XX before the AT, and never regretted my "Blackbird". I'm happy I owned such a machine, and it was a time of my life that it is what I wanted and needed. Now, at 41 years old, I do enjoy others things of riding.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
NC750X or Crosstourer... Or AT 2014?

Well the Africa Twin surely ain΄t coming for 2014.

2015? My guess is as good as any.
(But so far I haven΄t seen nothing but rumours and gossip - fact is, that they stopped making it in 2003, and since then Honda have not even mentioned the words ΄Africa Twin΄).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote