User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Wink Best Adv Bike New or Used for Under $8000

OK been looking at the Big Boy(Girl) Adv bikes in another thread. But it occured to me that maybe I could have just as much fun at have the price. Since the average for the bikes I am looking at new is $16K I thought lets cut that in half and see what we come up with. Now Adv is a broad category so let me narrow it down a little.

1. Must have range of at least 200 miles including reserve
2. New or Used but lets keep the vintage newer then 2005
3. Must have some off road ability ie some ground clearance and ability to take a fall with out getting totaled
4. Aprox 500 cc or more
6. ABS would be nice but not a must.
7. Must be available in the United States and not too hard to find if you really wanted one.

That seems like a good start. Let the suggestions begin.

Here is mine 2008- 2010 Buell Ulysses can be purchased with full set of bags for under $8000 maybe even under $7000 without much trouble. Reliable, some off road ability, Fun, good engine, can just make 200 miles on tank.
Ivana Ridealot
Colorado Bryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,193
i'd say a 12-14' 650 vstrom
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i'd say a 12-14' 650 vstrom

Not bad choice the have a good reputation - have not checked but would hope you could get at least the 2012 under 8k
Ivana Ridealot
Colorado Bryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

used 12 & 13s will be under 8k.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
The correct answer to any "What bike should I buy" threads on this site is always DR650.

Just add a 5.3 gallon Acerbis tank and you're looking at 260 mile range.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
^That didn't take long!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
hoffnasty
n00b

Oddometer: 5
educated opinion...

I had the Buell Uly X Model and loved it but after Harley kicked Eric out, I couldn't get support to keep it maintained. I work on my own bikes for most repairs but it was warranty work on the exhaust actuator and some fuel injection updates. It would take them two weeks sometimes to fix it in the middle of riding season. That was trying out four different Harley dealers. The mechanics didn't like working on a mixed bike. And in the summer the air cooled motor cooked your crotch.
I ended up selling the bike and buying a new KLR but after a year and riding with street buddies and other klr riders I came to dislike the klr on long street only rides no matter what changes I made to the bike. My wife has a v-storm and I love it but it felt a little cramped after long rides and a little long in the front.
I started a long search for a bike that felt like the Uly and I also like to wheelie on demand. Finally after testing several bikes including every big expensive adventure bike, I test rode a new versys..... after dual sport tires, bark busters, and a few other mods, it is my favorite 50/50 bike of all time. I am actually more comfortable on it with dirt and gravel than my KLR. The tires are wider and tend not to plow but act more like three wheeler flotation tires. The wheels are the same size as my buell and it feels the same on paved twisties, plus it wheelies with the blip of the throttle. I eventually will put a nineteen inch wheel on the front for more tire options but it works well with the stock rims. I can smoke my klr friends on dirt and scrape my pegs in the paved twisties.
I am 6 '1" if that helps with comparison.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Belltone
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I had been struggling between the Versys and Vstrom and after much haggling, investigation and riding I chose a 2013 Vstrom. I pick her up next week
It is really about personal preference and what feels best. Keep looking and you'll find the right bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Belltone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,824
The biggest sticking point is going to be the off road side.

In this price point I've seen
The big KTM
R1150 and 1200gs
F800gs
VStroms can be had for as little as $3,000 bucks for an 05. Spend a Grover and you have a very good bike.
It won't be long before the superTen will be at this price point.
Hondas 700 is getting some decent press.

Then you move to the 650 thumper dual sports.
Where it comes down to pick what you want to do.
Street mostly. Klr
Dirt but you like old school tech XR650l
Somewhere I between DR650.

Me. I bought a '12 DL650 for $3k off msrp, and I'm very happy.
But my bike is not spending any time off road.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
hoffnasty
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltone View Post
I had been struggling between the Versys and Vstrom and after much haggling, investigation and riding I chose a 2013 Vstrom. I pick her up next week
It is really about personal preference and what feels best. Keep looking and you'll find the right bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I checked out the new v-strom adventure at the motorcycle show in Seattle and i have to admit, if that bike was available when i bought the versys I would have leaned towards the strom..
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

I won't disagree with that statement ,
but i'd say a DR650 is not the bike Bryee is looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
The correct answer to any "What bike should I buy" threads on this site is always DR650.

Just add a 5.3 gallon Acerbis tank and you're looking at 260 mile range.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #12
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
I have a few favs, a couple of singles and a twin.

If you are ok with cruise speeds under 75mph a BMW single is a great option or better yet in my opinion, a Husky TE610. The little BMWs get great fuel mileage so the fuel range easily meets the 200 mile minimum and are not buzzy at all really. They offer great hwy manners for a single while being light enough to do rougher stuff off tarmac.

The Husky is more fun, meets the 200 mile min. with an aftermarket tank. Nice wide ratio tranny rocks, has a good rep for reliability and you can do most maintenance yourself including the nice, easy to adjust valves. Everything is a trade off and the Husky trades hwy manners for a lot better manners off tarmac and would be my pick between the thumpers.

If singles are not your thing, it's hard to beat a nicely modded DL650. Buy one for 3.5-4K$ already well modded. Then add a quality rear shock with a bit more travel and length. Maybe add Intimidators or Emulators to the front and raise the triples as much as possible. Then buy a used well modded XR650L with the money left over. Best option!

If you are good around the shop, I like the various Thin-jas and Versys that have been modded. I love that KLR the guy built with the USD forks and the Ninja twin.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post
Not bad choice the have a good reputation - have not checked but would hope you could get at least the 2012 under 8k
if one moves quickly, there are: from 6600 to 6999
uship almost anywhere for 400'ish

BUT, lets get more creative.
I would say buy a $5000 weestrom .... as pristine as you can get for 5K. spend the other 3K making it a legitimate adventure steed tailored to the riders own idiosyncrasies.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #14
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I won't disagree with that statement ,
but i'd say a DR650 is not the bike Bryee is looking for.
right... its a bit of a litmus test.
after one has been through all the other bikes and ridden many thousands of miles in all types of conditions, then they figger out the DR answer.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffnasty View Post
I had the Buell Uly X Model and loved it but after Harley kicked Eric out, I couldn't get support to keep it maintained. I work on my own bikes for most repairs but it was warranty work on the exhaust actuator and some fuel injection updates. It would take them two weeks sometimes to fix it in the middle of riding season. That was trying out four different Harley dealers. The mechanics didn't like working on a mixed bike. And in the summer the air cooled motor cooked your crotch.
I ended up selling the bike and buying a new KLR but after a year and riding with street buddies and other klr riders I came to dislike the klr on long street only rides no matter what changes I made to the bike. My wife has a v-storm and I love it but it felt a little cramped after long rides and a little long in the front.
I started a long search for a bike that felt like the Uly and I also like to wheelie on demand. Finally after testing several bikes including every big expensive adventure bike, I test rode a new versys..... after dual sport tires, bark busters, and a few other mods, it is my favorite 50/50 bike of all time. I am actually more comfortable on it with dirt and gravel than my KLR. The tires are wider and tend not to plow but act more like three wheeler flotation tires. The wheels are the same size as my buell and it feels the same on paved twisties, plus it wheelies with the blip of the throttle. I eventually will put a nineteen inch wheel on the front for more tire options but it works well with the stock rims. I can smoke my klr friends on dirt and scrape my pegs in the paved twisties.
I am 6 '1" if that helps with comparison.
I too would suggest the Versys. Can be had used for relatively little money and can be farkled to the moon for again not much money.