Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #406
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
Just replaced my VFR with a Caponord!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VERY nice, should be a HUGE change (in a good way) for you.

Enjoy the new to you toy.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #407
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
It was a huge change, but one that I definitely needed. My girlfriend and I plan on making some longer motorcycle trips two up, and the VFR just wasn't gonna work. This bike is perfect! Now I just need to get some cheap side cases. Also, where is a good place to buy the 1150GS hand guards? I've searched around but haven't really found a suitable place to buy. I'm sure I'm going to want those this winter.

I had the first problem today since I've owned the bike. The battery died today while I was at work. It seemed fine this morning but when I came out around 1:30pm it wouldn't make a sound. Hooked a jump box up to it and it cranked right up. Not really sure what could have drained it so fast.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug

Dave37 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 07:02 PM
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #408
Nomadgene
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

I had the first problem today since I've owned the bike. The battery died today while I was at work. It seemed fine this morning but when I came out around 1:30pm it wouldn't make a sound. Hooked a jump box up to it and it cranked right up. Not really sure what could have drained it so fast.

Did you use your steering lock? There is a key position that allows a small light under your headlights to come of, sort of a parking light. It will drain things pretty dang quick and it is hard to see that it is on when parked in daylight. Check closely for that key position. It is a possibility this is what occurred if you don't have much experience with the bike and that nothing else is going on electrically with the bike.

Hope you are happy with your purchase and have many happy miles like I have.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #409
Nomadgene
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 22
Cool2

Quote:

There is a key setting just past the steering lock setting that turns on parking lights visible just under your headlight assembly. I suspect that is what you may have done if other electrical issues aren't to blame.

Congrats on the purchase of a fantastic machine.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #410
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:

If you can confirm that the battery is good, you're going to want to check the charging system. Once you charge (or replace) the battery, put a voltmeter on the battery and with the engine running you should be getting over 13 volts. The Caponord forum at AF1 has been a great resource for me when checking out my bike after I bought it. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-Rectifier-Mod
http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #411
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
It was a huge change, but one that I definitely needed. My girlfriend and I plan on making some longer motorcycle trips two up, and the VFR just wasn't gonna work. This bike is perfect! Now I just need to get some cheap side cases. Also, where is a good place to buy the 1150GS hand guards? I've searched around but haven't really found a suitable place to buy. I'm sure I'm going to want those this winter.

Has the RR been updated on this bike? I had to change mine and update the plugs so the RR runs right to the battery. Never had a problem since.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #412
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

All the electrical problems have been taken care of by the previous owner, but I suspect you guys may be right in saying that I may have left the switch in the wrong position. I didn't even know about this until yesterday when it died I started messing with the key and I was checking to see if anything was on when i had the key in the off position. I did notice some kind of light or parking light under the regular light, but couldn't tell if it was on in the daylight. The battery is good and it is charging, so I'm thinking that was it. Today it's doing fine!

Does anybody know a good site to buy the 1150GS hand guards from? I've looked around but haven't really found a suitable place to buy.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #413
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

No sure, mine already had them. Ebay? Touratech makes some nice spoilers for those hand guards. I have them.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #414
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Found some dirt roads this morning.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug

Dave37 screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 10:17 PM
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #415
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Bought some side bags last Thursday from a fellow inmate:

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #416
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
There is a key setting just past the steering lock setting that turns on parking lights visible just under your headlight assembly. I suspect that is what you may have done if other electrical issues aren't to blame.

Congrats on the purchase of a fantastic machine.
Yup,Congrats...'had mine approaching six years and she's a keeper...
Most Euro bikes have the 'park lights' feature on the main key switch,
just learn to look back as leave the bike making sure lights are off.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #417
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
Got a set of Shinko 705's put on my Capo just before a 4000 mile, six day trip and they look good. Looks like another 4k easy for the rear and the front still looks new. Only negative is the front screams like a banshee at 80+ mph but, hey, earplugs are great.
Cross/plys or Radials?...sounds like theyre cross/plys,my rear thead lifted in places
on my cross/plies but didnt separate (thank God) still getting 9k miles.never again.
current set are 705 Radials,quieter with a much better feel and about 6k mile with no problems
Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #418
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
How were the early Capo's, 2002 was te first year I believe. Any issues one should know about?
What about miles in the motor. THese running 100k without issue?

Thanks in advance
Many are now looking like this,with little more than routine servicing...enough said.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #419
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bought some side bags last Thursday from a fellow inmate:

I'm selling at set of those right now if anyone is interested. Same flat color that will go with any bike. includes racks.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #420
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
New Caponord owner here. Rode it 530 miles in the first 36 hours of ownership along the Pacific coast, coast range, Cascades, and desert canyons. Zero buyer's remorse here