Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #46
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,662
How about Oyster Grey and some Rocky Mountains

Or an Iowa railroad crossing

I love my capo. It is like me, Big, Fast and Curiously Handsome.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #47
CapoGreg OP
Felonious Helmet Cam

Oddometer: 614
I hit 2300 miles with mine on Friday. It started out as a work day, but ended up being a "mental health" day about halfway there. Rode from Belair, MD over to the eastern shore and down to Salisbury, MD and back home. Total distance: 295 miles. Total pics: 0 Guess I should have taken the camera with me.

2006 Aprilia Caponord "L'Altra Donna"
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S "Bear"
1978 Yamaha DT 125E "Pig Pen"
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Kawasaki Mule 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzirider
The GS is, on paper, a better bike, but I don't buy bikes made of paper.
Save $5 on SmugMug account with code: L4im8C7MUjvgQ
CapoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #48
Tsilatipac
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 416
Capo Questions

I know that this thread has been dead a while but I'd like to know more about the Capo! I had an 02 Falco and loved the bike to death. I sold it about a year ago because I never had time to ride it. That was a mistake and now I'm looking at bikes again. Time or not, I need to have a bike in the stable for when I do want to ride!

(1) My Falco had a Magnesium oil pan. That seems aweful fragile for an Adventure bike, I was wondering what folks think about that. What does the Capo have?

(2) The computer on my Falco would occasionally reset if my battery was low. When I was commuting daily it was never a problem. When the bike sat for a week or more it was a problem; even thought the bike would start right away, the voltage would drop and the computer would reset. It seems like the bike doesn't hold a charge very long. I got a battery tender and it ceased to be a problem. I'd still like to think that the computer or what ever it was has been improved. (Many others reported the same issue so it wasn't an isolated case) One thing I know some folks did a mode to cut the headlight when engaging the started and that helped quite a few. Any similar problems on the new Capos?

(3) One of the other reasons that I sold my Falco was that the local Aprilia dealer vanished (I later found out that they relocated under different ownership). I read a bunch of speculation about bankrupsy, buyouts, etc and got cold feet. I didn't want a bike that I couldn't get parts for. Has all of that been resolved? It sounds like it has but 10 days is too long to wait for parts if you break down in the middle of nowhere.

(4) How do people like them? If you take them off road, any regrets about your selection?

To comment on a few earlier posts:

(*) I consistently got 40-42 MPG. Bike ran the Aprilia streetfighter chip and exhaust.
(*) AF1 guys are awesome, agreed.
Tsilatipac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #49
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelouv

Come on, the titanium (or what ever fancy italian word they have for it) can be a looker too. You can't see it in these photos, but the Aprilia logo is in big bold silver letters under the clear coat across the tank sides. The fabric side bags would worry me against the pipe shields. My Capo had a Givi hard side bag mount when I bought it but the previous owner would not let go of the bags cause they fit his other bike. Figured yanking it off looked better than riding around w/out bags. My grantour tail bag does most everything I need it to. I like those lights you mounted! I may do that for the fun of it before I put mine up for sale. I believe I really want a new BMW F800GS when they finally show up here in September. Make that one yellow please BMW!
I don't understand why anyone would want to trade your Capo for the new F800GS from BMW??? Your bike seems much better, and better looking too. Unless you just want a lighter bike for the off-road situations... Is this Aprilia reliable? Is it a good bike?
GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #50
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB007
I don't understand why anyone would want to trade your Capo for the new F800GS from BMW??? Your bike seems much better, and better looking too. Unless you just want a lighter bike for the off-road situations... Is this Aprilia reliable? Is it a good bike?
I agree with you reply to your own first question.
To reply to your 2nd and 3rd question I need to say I have 41k+ miles. I have travel long distances most of the time with wife. Hit link below my sig and you will see the full story.

Sure I am so biased torwards the Aprilia Rotax CapoNord that I bought a second bike, this time a Tuono.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #51
crocapo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB007
Aprilia is good bike.For not so much money you have lot of bike...Capo is great bike, and Bmw is to much expencive and to agly...
crocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #52
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsilatipac
...(1) My Falco had a Magnesium oil pan. That seems aweful fragile for an Adventure bike, I was wondering what folks think about that. What does the Capo have?
A skid plate- not really much of an issue. The RR version is more robust if you need it and bolts on.

Quote:
(2) ... Any similar (electrical) problems on the new Capos?
Generally, no. Some have resoldered the "brown" connector, and the issue (and every issue) is talked to death on the Capo forum. My suggestion is to keep the bike on a Battery Tender

Quote:
(3) ...I didn't want a bike that I couldn't get parts for. Has all of that been resolved? It sounds like it has but 10 days is too long to wait for parts if you break down in the middle of nowhere.
Hey, it's Italian Generally AFI has excellent parts support; and they bikes are generally very reliable.

Quote:
(4) How do people like them? If you take them off road, any regrets about your selection?
It's a very good road bike/sport tourer that's ok/fun on dirt roads. "off road" covers a lot of ground. I don't think it's as good as a GS1200 off the pavement (because of weight), but it is equal to (imo) an 1150- though it has less suspension travel. No regrets buying it.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #53
sm2727
Tarnished not so noob

Oddometer: 227
Crashed back to riding quick story...

This is a short summary, starting with the call (post) for help. These are the posts....

Help Need Towing 347 10 Miles South Of I-10 Scott 602-690-8885 03\04\08

Saved!!!!

I cannot thank everyone enough for the support I got today!!!
Thank you Yeti Mon (Jamaican Accent) for the on time pick up and thank you Mr. Openroad for the Limo ride.

here is the quick story...
Riding south on the 347, sun shining, me singing,(out if tune) when suddenly no power, I thought I missed a shift, tried shifting again...oh shit no chain, It wraps between the sprocket and swingarm locks the rear wheel right now! and what do you know the Caponord becomes a dirt tracker. At this time I get to wonder how I can stay upright as the rear end begins to pass the front So luck would have it that I was in the left lane with cages all around I go down just as I get to the left side rumble strips, low side no bike tumble, slide to a rest with the heavy ass bike on my left foot. SAFE!!!!!!!! AGATT
Sorry guys the bike carnage was light other than the rear end.
Sore foot, alittle stiff , (Thats Normal) In good shape!!!
I will post pics later
Once again
Thank you all

(Being part of the fold is outstanding, never expected anything like the support I was shown Thanks to all the guys that helped and thanks to the info guys that just happend to by online to catch the 911 post and relay my phone number to local guys!!! Beer for everyone involved.)

Update

Bike damage
http://sm2727.smugmug.com/photos/279077732_eQfYN-L.jpg

http://sm2727.smugmug.com/photos/279078273_2gtGD-L.jpg

Update
My Capo is still in the shop at AZSBK in Chandler AZ...They tell me that the swingarm replacement is a 4 to 5 hours job. I have a second question...I ordered the crown replacement according to the tech the crown replacement package does not include the special bolts that holds the sprocket on...are these bolts Aprilia only or can any sprocket bolts do the job.
I think that these guys at AZSBK are full of S@#T they told me what parts I needed I ordered from AF1 the parts arrived at AZSBK (03\27) still no Capo WTF

Good news my comlaints paid off the Capo is ready for pick up 04\16

Sat 04\19 get the Capo home, AZSBK were slow but I am satisfied with the work also they were less expensive than I thought. Thumbs up to AZSBK for taking all the me being a DICK Phone calls. So after two low sides I'm installing the crash bars. I have lots of scratches on the left side.
I will get the Capo repainted looking for ideas (feel free to post pictures so I can steal ideas) My paint guy is one of those custom chopper guys...I hope he can down grade the skulls and other evil stuff.

Spot where I slid
http://sm2727.smugmug.com/photos/279079064_c2UK3-L.jpg

Gear
http://sm2727.smugmug.com/photos/279082517_DNuiy-L.jpg

Back on the road

Scott
Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #54
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I haven't been around for a while but here goes...

fairly clean looking at the Pacific Ocean

Not clean at the Atigun Pass

Still dirty at Deadhorse AK (this was about 11pm IIRC)

two different trips btw
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #55
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Attention Caponord Owners

Not sure if this has been posted here already...
...Check your frame bolts...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146743
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #56
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG.
Not sure if this has been posted here already...
...Check your frame bolts...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146743
...yep, especially when riding 2up or with heavy loads. Once on a while I do, ...and they need a little additional tight.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #57
andydj31
In Techno we trust...

Oddometer: 147
two pics of my last tour in Tuscany!!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #58
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,278
I've got a couple of dirty Capo pics. From the run to Deadhorse in 2003:

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #59
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Nor-Cal from this weekend

Best bike I've ever had!!!!
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #60
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 939
Sorry, it's clean

Just bought this '03 in February.

After purchase I added the center stand, fairing bars, Leo Vince mufflers, X-Box top case, Air Hawk seat pad, and Laminar Lip.

Steve
Attached Images