User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
petefromberkeley OP
-

Oddometer: 3,289
How much to pay?

OK, my old friend died when he crashed his GS about seven years ago. He had a Moto Guzi T3 with a beautiful sidecar in his garage. It is still there, hasn't run in about eight or nine years. It was pretty neglected in terms of maintenance when he owned it, some mechanical problem took it off the road and now it hasn't run for the better part of a decade. His daughter has been saving it for me and now, I finally have space for it. I want to give her a fair price, but I can't imagine what that would be.

I think the bike is basically a liability- it might cost me more to repair it than it is worth when I am done, but then an assembled rig is worth $$$. And she did hang on to it all this time. I just don't know what's fair.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,170
that's a tough one.i'd look at the value of the bike,the sidecar(if avail.),and a reasonable amount for setting it up.maybe see what she feels it's worth.good luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
OK, my old friend died when he crashed his GS about seven years ago. He had a Moto Guzi T3 with a beautiful sidecar in his garage. It is still there, hasn't run in about eight or nine years. It was pretty neglected in terms of maintenance when he owned it, some mechanical problem took it off the road and now it hasn't run for the better part of a decade. His daughter has been saving it for me and now, I finally have space for it. I want to give her a fair price, but I can't imagine what that would be.

I think the bike is basically a liability- it might cost me more to repair it than it is worth when I am done, but then an assembled rig is worth $$$. And she did hang on to it all this time. I just don't know what's fair.

Any suggestions?
Can see th esentimental value here on both sides and that is understandable. Getting a feel for what she thinks makes sense. What does she think you will do with it. You said that she has been saving iut for you. If she has the impression you will bring it back to pristine condition and you don't do that there could be hard feelings. Just because an object is sold does not mean the person selling it actually turns their back on it especially in a situation like this.
The fact is that You are saying that a bike that was known to be neglected during use was taken off the road due to ' some mechnaical problem'. That could mean anything from bad plug wire to a broken crankshaft.
Now it has not run for a decade? Is the engine free? Chrome cylinder walls in Guzzis can cause a huge issue if they have begun to deteriorate.
Then you seem to consider it from an investment angle in you rlast paragraph. If that is where your intentions lay that is one thing that may not make the purchase feasible. If your focus is on getting your friends rig back on the road due to it being what it is as your friends rig then that is a whole nuther story that can't be related to just investment type logic. A labor of love can be very rewarding for all invloved but may not be the same as a good investement money wise.
I suppose what counts is where your head is in relation to her expectations over and above a price.
Hard call .

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
petefromberkeley OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Can see th esentimental value here on both sides and that is understandable. Getting a feel for what she thinks makes sense. What does she think you will do with it. You said that she has been saving iut for you. If she has the impression you will bring it back to pristine condition and you don't do that there could be hard feelings. Just because an object is sold does not mean the person selling it actually turns their back on it especially in a situation like this.
The fact is that You are saying that a bike that was known to be neglected during use was taken off the road due to ' some mechnaical problem'. That could mean anything from bad plug wire to a broken crankshaft.
Now it has not run for a decade? Is the engine free? Chrome cylinder walls in Guzzis can cause a huge issue if they have begun to deteriorate.
Then you seem to consider it from an investment angle in you rlast paragraph. If that is where your intentions lay that is one thing that may not make the purchase feasible. If your focus is on getting your friends rig back on the road due to it being what it is as your friends rig then that is a whole nuther story that can't be related to just investment type logic. A labor of love can be very rewarding for all invloved but may not be the same as a good investement money wise.
I suppose what counts is where your head is in relation to her expectations over and above a price.
Hard call .

Yeah, it's mainly just for sentimental value. If I was going to choose a sidecar rig, this probably would not have been the one. The girl (girl- she must be 25 or more by now) grew up in that chair all snuggled up with blankets and dolls on cold mornings. It was never really pristine. The guy was a carpenter and he threw his tools and his dog in the sidecar and took it to job sites every day. Both his daughter and I have been sitting in the chair on different occasions when the original owner crashed it into something.

He was just terrible at performing routine maintenance. I don't know what stopped it from running, but the ignition switch is off the bike, so I am guessing something electrical. My friends daughter has no idea what's wrong with it, no idea where the title is and no idea what it's worth. She'll take what ever money I give her. That's why it's akward. I have never had a sidecar rig and I really don't know what they are worth either. I guess there is really no way you guys can help without seeing it. I don't have pics and since I just broke my camera last weekend it will be a little while before I get them.

I predict I will just use it on sunny Sunday afternoons to cruise around on. I don't expect it to be a good investment, I just don't want to give her way too much or too little for it.

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 02-05-2008 at 04:09 PM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
4dwuds
Survivor

Oddometer: 69
I had a similar situation with a friends bike, Phil was killed on his 55 Pan on Halloween night 1979, The parents wanted to just give what was left of the bike to me, I said OK but that if I ever sold the bike I would split the price with them, They were very happy with knowing I would take care of his bike and they prolly figured I would never sell it. They also passed on years later. Phil's bike is still in my garage, just like the day before Halloween. RIP Phil. Use your heart to decide what to offer.
4dwuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
You can probably part out a Goose for around $1000 bucks even if it is tatty. You can get most battered sidecars for less than $1000, So knowing nothing about the bike and sidecar in question, I'd guess around $1500 and the promise of future rides (when and if) would be fair unless it is especially nice or especially awful.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 505
Depends on what sidecar and what the condition of the bike and sidecar are in.

I can't imagine someone putting a sexy sidcar on a t3.

I would offer 3k or less. If she needs the money, then 5k.
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,415
If I was in your situation and you could swing it, I would have it brought back to life in the condition your friend had it in. Then on the really nice days I would take it for a ride and be sure to swing by the "girls" place and get her in the car so you could both say a silent prayer for a lost loved one. I would think that if she knew this was the plan, there would be no green changing hands, just a good deed for both of you.

Growing older every day but never growing up.
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
petefromberkeley OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos
Depends on what sidecar and what the condition of the bike and sidecar are in.

I can't imagine someone putting a sexy sidcar on a t3.

I would offer 3k or less. If she needs the money, then 5k.
It's a pretty nice sidecar (it probably deserves a /2 or something). It's British (so was he) and was originally mounted on the left hand side of the bike. He rode like a bat out of hell and whenever he was about to pass a car here in the US, he had to hang the sidecar out into oncoming traffic and ask his daughter if any cars were coming. If she said no, he would pass. Asking a seven year old girl to decide when passing is safe isn't too cool, so he put the sidecar on the right hand side. Now you ride with your feet in what is supposed to be the trunk. It sounds kooky, but he built a real nice wooden rack for what is now the trunk and it works pretty good.
I'll get pics when I can. At least it has been inside all this time. It was crashed pretty bad once with me in it (we actually totalled a VW bug with it- me and the sidecar into the VW and my friend over my head and through the windshield of the car) it was repaired well though. Another time, he had just shopped for Thanksgiving dinner. He had the groceries, his daughter and their Labrador Retriever in the sidecar. They hit a car and the body of the sidecar came out of the frame and went skidding down the street with his girl, his dog and Thanksgiving dinner in it in a scene straight out of "The Little Rascals". Nobody got hurt, but my point is this thing has been around the block a few times.

I was thinking something in the $3K range. That way when it is back on the road nobody will accuse me of taking advantage of her. I really wouldn't want to do that.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
petefromberkeley OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick
If I was in your situation and you could swing it, I would have it brought back to life in the condition your friend had it in. Then on the really nice days I would take it for a ride and be sure to swing by the "girls" place and get her in the car so you could both say a silent prayer for a lost loved one. I would think that if she knew this was the plan, there would be no green changing hands, just a good deed for both of you.

I expect she will be my most regular passenger. I just moved and now live three blocks away. She's going to school and can use the dough, so I want to give her some money for it.

There's also an old rigid frame BSA chopper in there. Does anyone want that?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 550
Pricing a sidecar rig

I had a T3 Guzzi I put a sidecar on. I had to keep the carbon out of the head and piston tops to keep it from spark knocking and the chrome wore off the cylinders. It was a fun outfit tho and I had a lot of good miles. If you are feeling guilty about how much to give for it first do some exploring as to what it will cost to get it on the road. If it just has a few electrical problems it will be much cheaper than bad cylinders , worn out rear wheel drive splines or toasted clutch. Then I would be tempted to spend 30 bucks and put it on ebay with a high buy it now price or best offer. If you sell it for a mint than give the gal the money to use and if you get a few offers maybe use those to show her what a reasonable price should be for you to buy it. Do beg or borrow a camera and get some shots posted tho.
Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
petefromberkeley OP
-

That's probably the best thing to do. I'll get the rig into my garage and figure out what is wrong with it, then pay a fair price for it. Thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I won't attempt to give pricing advice. I feel guilty dickering prices w/ strangers

lol I typically end-up liking the people I buy bikes from and feel guilty about beating up on fellow riders for a few bucks.

I suppose you could always add a clause so if she changes her mind within 6 months you'll sell it back to her at the same price plus whatever you've put into it. That way you're covered for sellers remorse. I once bought a car from a friend under those terms. A month later he admitted regretting the sale and actually bought the car back !

lol another time a friend was throwing away a non-running lawn mower and offered it to me when he bought a new one. He stopped by my house one day and saw me using it and got really pissed off. lol

Good luck.
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
I expect she will be my most regular passenger. I just moved and now live three blocks away. She's going to school and can use the dough, so I want to give her some money for it.

There's also an old rigid frame BSA chopper in there. Does anyone want that?

any further info available on the bsa? i might be interested. thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
bwanacswan
Team Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
That's probably the best thing to do. I'll get the rig into my garage and figure out what is wrong with it, then pay a fair price for it. Thanks guys.
BS...don't take that bike without giving her whatever you think that bike is worth right now as is. It is too easy to let time go by and waite and see.
Resolve it the day you pick it up and you will not have that hanging over your head. It will mean closure for her.

It is worth whatever you pay.
ADV members, nothing but rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
bwanacswan is offline   Reply With Quote