ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Yaktrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
This mapset will also work in Magellan GPS units. Download to your Mapsend program.
Yaktrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Nice find. This should work great for a great lakes trip.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak_KLR 650
This guy in Calgary has written a program that allows you to load the Federal 1:50,000 maps for most of Canada into Mapsource and have them display a Garmin GPS unit. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
d/led over night. Installed this morning. Yeah,they don't autoroute, but who gives a damn? You can choose which mapset you wanna run on the unit (at least, i can on my 2610.) Garmin's maps will autoroute still - you just gotta turn off the topo. So the operating process is pretty simple at chez Weasel: use the Garmin maps to getcha to where you sorta wanna be, then switch.

I see some good fishin' in my future. I just have to get a bigger CF card, that's all. (sigh).
Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #19
Yaktrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Weasel
I just have to get a bigger CF card, that's all. (sigh).
I picked up a Sandisk 2 Gb card at Future Shop for $35 for my 2610. I have most of BC in Topo Canada, most of BC in Ibycus, BC, Alberta, Wash. Idaho and Montana in City Navigator 2008 and version 7 and it doesn't take up half the card.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #20
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
is 2GB the largest CF card that a 2610 can address? The Garmin FAQ isn't clear.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT

markgsnw screwed with this post 02-10-2008 at 10:59 AM
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
Yaktrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
is 2GB the largest CF card that a 2610 can address?
From what I found it should accept any size CF card... but how big do you need? I just created a mapset with all of BC and Alberta in topo Canada (which auto routes, so may have more info that the US version) plus all of Wash. Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming in US topo. It was 2280 mapsheets and just under 700 Mb. Add in the same area with City Nav. 2008 and it bumps to 2306 mapsheets and 820 Mb. Still lots of room on a 2 Gb. card.

For comparision - the area of BC is 365,000 sq. mi. Alberta is 255,000, Washington is 71,000, Oregon is 98,000, Idaho is 84,000, Wyoming is 98,000 and Montana is 147, 000 sq. mi. for a total of over 1,100,000 sq. miles of Topo and City Nav. on 1/3 of a 2 Gb. card
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #22
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Making Garmin maps ..

you need a data source .. for the loaction, name (if you want it) and type of roads, POIs etc. This can be tracks and waypoints .. or paper maps sceaned and geo referenced with oziexplorer.

You then create a polish format map.

You then convert it to a garmin .imj file

You then create the garmin preview files (.tbl and one .imj) file for the map set.

More? www.cgpsmapper.com ...

I've seen some topo maps on http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php they could be the same ones .. but avalible in smaller bits. You'd have the problem of creating the preview files if you donloaded them from this source.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #23
markgsnw
WTF?

I have a 2GB card, and it will load all of City Nav NA with no problem. So I can do a "load and forget" with it. Ah, but now for the Topo maps: can't do all of NA, so I can split it up of course. Just curious as I'm acquiring more map sets and larger memory cards. I'll dig up a 4GB card and see what happens. It may slow the unit down too much, it is slow to start up now with both Topo and City Nav maps, and slow to switch map sets.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Back on topic, it's nice to be able to zoom out further and still see the roads.

Also, the accuracy is much better.

There's one road here where my Garmin Topo software shows me
riding on a lake more than once. This one doesn't do that, unless I'm on an ice road!!!

The marker buoys shown on the lakes around here are wrong though.
Don't go by them...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
jackr
2008 KTM 950 SE

Oddometer: 226
Thanks for the tip Yak. As compared to Topo Canada roads are easier to see and there seems to be a few more bush roads visible. Unfortunately like Topo Canada not all roads are shown. The good thing is between the two of them I managed to plot out some pretty good tracks for upcoming rides.

Yak we just might meet up some day. I'm from Kamloops also. I ride a Honda XR650L and am in the process of getting a KTM 950 SE from the States. Hope to see you around.
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
512 meg data cards have sudenly become too small ...

Paul Jr
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
ibycus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Picked up this thread off google. Thought I'd stop by and see if I can contribute something. (I'll admit I had to google that security question on the sign up page)

One thing I noticed is people downloading very large (many tiled) mapsets to their GPS. You've got to be careful doing this, I've been told (although haven't confirmed it myself because I'm too lazy) that Garmin has an upward limit on the number of mapsheets it can address independent of size of the mapset. So basically, you can load 4000 mapsheets, but you'll only be able to see 1024 on the GPS (I don't know if that is the actual upper limit, but it would be my guess at what the number is).

Also, the maps on mapcenter are the same (for the most part) as the ones in the EXE file (there are few that choked on mapcenter, but I've managed to compile locally, or someone else has compiled for me). Mapcenter will also typically allow you to 'sneak a peek' at what's coming in new releases (I'll compile them on mapcenter, download them, and then sometime later release a new version).

Dale (aka ibycus)
ibycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #28
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibycus
Picked up this thread off google. Thought I'd stop by and see if I can contribute something. (I'll admit I had to google that security question on the sign up page)

One thing I noticed is people downloading very large (many tiled) mapsets to their GPS. You've got to be careful doing this, I've been told (although haven't confirmed it myself because I'm too lazy) that Garmin has an upward limit on the number of mapsheets it can address independent of size of the mapset. So basically, you can load 4000 mapsheets, but you'll only be able to see 1024 on the GPS (I don't know if that is the actual upper limit, but it would be my guess at what the number is).

Also, the maps on mapcenter are the same (for the most part) as the ones in the EXE file (there are few that choked on mapcenter, but I've managed to compile locally, or someone else has compiled for me). Mapcenter will also typically allow you to 'sneak a peek' at what's coming in new releases (I'll compile them on mapcenter, download them, and then sometime later release a new version).

Dale (aka ibycus)
Very, very good to know Dale. Thanks for all your work.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #29
Yaktrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr
Yak we just might meet up some day. I'm from Kamloops also. I ride a Honda XR650L and am in the process of getting a KTM 950 SE from the States. Hope to see you around.
I sent you a PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #30
markgsnw
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibycus

depends on your specific Garmin GPS. This is really too vague.