ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #61
Viking
Ækt trønder!!
 
Viking's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Haliburton County-Canada
Oddometer: 441
[QUOTE=Yak_KLR 650] Also the detail is visible at higher zoom levels (5 Km).

I really like this, I loose some of the details mainly detail roads when I zoom out beyond 1.5km. Am I doing something wrong?
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #62
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,909
I've downloaded it, installed Alberta, BC, and some of SE Saskatchewan, and I have saved the entire 3.3 gb on an external, but I'm wondering if I can delete the areas I will never use, and where would I find the info to find which regions are which files?
__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #63
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
I've downloaded it, installed Alberta, BC, and some of SE Saskatchewan, and I have saved the entire 3.3 gb on an external, but I'm wondering if I can delete the areas I will never use, and where would I find the info to find which regions are which files?
The Garmin software (MapInstall since I have a Mac, but I would imagine that MapSource works the same way) allowed me to choose which portions of the map I wanted to install on my GPS -- no need to install the whole thing.

Or are you talking about deleting the unneeded map portions from your computer? If that's what you're after, I don't know.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #64
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt

Or are you talking about deleting the unneeded map portions from your computer? If that's what you're after, I don't know.

--mark
Yup, that's the one I'm after. I'm just trying to be frugal with space, and I have the entire file on my back-up dive. Realistically, I will never use 90% of the maps.

I'm working on the last gen 12" powerbook, is it slow as molasses to select maps to load onto the GPS, or is my computer finally starting to show it's age?
__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #65
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,674
I've got a 12" Powerbook too and use the Ibycus maps in Road Trip without any real issues. At work I have a very fast Intel Mac Pro with lots of RAM, and so that's where I chose to load the maps onto my Garmin... but as it turns out, map segment selection is slow as molasses even on a fast, modern system. I think it's just the software. Hopefully it'll get faster in future versions.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #66
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,909
Thanks Mark. One program running slow is no problem. They are loaded on the GPS now, so it's pretty much a one time thing to have to tolerate.
__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #67
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
This is baffling.

I just got a bigger CF card. I downloaded more maps, and now my (*(*&#&# 2610 will NOT let me see anything other than the City Navigator. Whazzup?
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #68
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures
This is baffling.

I just got a bigger CF card. I downloaded more maps, and now my (*(*&#&# 2610 will NOT let me see anything other than the City Navigator. Whazzup?
Dumbass me. Problem solved. Apparently, Ibycus barfs if you name yer map. Odd.
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #69
PenGun
Old and In The Way
 
PenGun's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: BC Arrowsmith Mtn Paradise
Oddometer: 320
Google Earth murders this stuff. I have no idea why so many people use these useless maps.

Even in low res areas like the example map near Canmore there is no comparison.

A laptop with the area cached will get you anywhere you can get to. These topos are so vague I don't know how they are usable. Well if you never leave major roads I guess they will work.

Kananaskis Village and the Ski Hiil
Attached Images
 
__________________
98 KLR650 Molly .... "Run and find out" Rikkie Tiki Tavi
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #70
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
Google Earth murders this stuff. I have no idea why so many people use these useless maps.

Even in low res areas like the example map near Canmore there is no comparison.Z
That's really handy for someone who knows where they're going to go.

But if you don't know where you're going to go, and would like to know where you've ended up...
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #71
PenGun
Old and In The Way
 
PenGun's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: BC Arrowsmith Mtn Paradise
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures
That's really handy for someone who knows where they're going to go.

But if you don't know where you're going to go, and would like to know where you've ended up...
Um I have a USB GPS device I attach to my laptop. Works well in Google Earth. I play in the mountains on Vancouver Island. There are no maps with my trails and roads on em'. This is why I decided regular GPS was useless for me. It only works where there are maps.

Google Earth works everywhere and even the lowest res is better than most topos. You can zoom and tilt the area and in high res areas see cars and trucks. I have measured logs on Googel Earth then gone out and measured them on the ground.

A 2 gig cache gives you any area off line at about 50 miles square, any shape of that area, in high res. A few caches can take you a long way.
__________________
98 KLR650 Molly .... "Run and find out" Rikkie Tiki Tavi
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #72
B.C.Biker
mighty fine
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: southern interior B.C.
Oddometer: 620
So, the gps shows Google Earth ? Or do you need to lug a lap top? So far the regular gps still amazes me. Maybe I'm in the dark ages?!
__________________
worship no one.
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #73
PenGun
Old and In The Way
 
PenGun's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: BC Arrowsmith Mtn Paradise
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker
So, the gps shows Google Earth ? Or do you need to lug a lap top? So far the regular gps still amazes me. Maybe I'm in the dark ages?!
I haul a cheap laptop. It goes with me in the backpack only when I'm going exploring. It works amazingly well on the logging roads out back of my place. I have roads back there spanning a century of logging and some are almost invisible even when you are on them.

It has a 14.5" screen which is very nice but it is heavy and large compared to a regular GPS. I think when the netbooks get a bit lighter it will be a very good way for "no map" navigation.

I believe you can get some phones to run Google Earth and with the cheap many gig USB sticks, stashing the cache is not a problem.
__________________
98 KLR650 Molly .... "Run and find out" Rikkie Tiki Tavi
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #74
lateapex31
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lateapex31's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Northwood, NH
Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
I haul a cheap laptop. It goes with me in the backpack only when I'm going exploring. It works amazingly well on the logging roads out back of my place. I have roads back there spanning a century of logging and some are almost invisible even when you are on them.

It has a 14.5" screen which is very nice but it is heavy and large compared to a regular GPS. I think when the netbooks get a bit lighter it will be a very good way for "no map" navigation.

I believe you can get some phones to run Google Earth and with the cheap many gig USB sticks, stashing the cache is not a problem.
Well bully for you, but I am getting sick of reading your off topic posts about how much GPS sucks and how awesome carrying a computer around on a motorcycle is. Maybe you can make a thread detailing the use of Google Earth with a GPS and stop spoiling threads that others find useful.

Back on track here I have the Ibycus USA and Canada and both are awesome. Maybe they lack some of the fancy autorouting stuff but they have all of the railroads marked (even the old ones) and other neat features that Garmin doesn't.
__________________
I am the gun lobby.
lateapex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #75
johnnyadventurepants
Gnarly Adventurer
 
johnnyadventurepants's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lynden, WA
Oddometer: 492
I have tried lots of times to download this, but only get horrible download speeds (and it isn't on my end). Anyone else download this lately (without it taking 450 hours!)
johnnyadventurepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014