Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #211
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,550
H4 50w kit for a Honda Superhawk?

Hi there FutureVisionMan

Do you make a 50w H4 hi/lo kit suitable for my Honda Superhawk VTR1000F?

If so, how much? And how much to send to me down here in little ol' New Zealand?

And if you could be so kind as to explain the differences again between a standard kit and a Premium kit again for me?

Cheers

Shane

ps PM sent.

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #212
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

Oddometer: 431
Hey Shaggie, PM sent!

I'll paste some of the data from the PM on the Premium (known as the HD - Heavy Duty series)
The HD systems are really top end equipment. The high/low bulbs come from the factory that makes for all the best shops worldwide such as Solam, IPF, etc...very popular in Japan were they are willing to pay for the best available. We really like to differentiate ourselves from all the junk HID products that have appeared on the market in the past few years. So this year we launched the HD series to offer the best for those who are very particular about their equipment.
The difference is in the component quality. Inside the ballast you'll find the best circuit components from the best IR crystal from the USA, discharge pipe from Germany, best capacitor from Japan, etc... These ballast pretty much last forever, super low defect rate and have a nice long cable. Will also be stocking them with 6' cables soon for guys who want to install the ballast under the seat.

The bulbs are laser calibrated to ensure they meet exact specification like OEM halogen's to ensure the best beam pattern available. Pure Xenon gases and other quality components make for a super long life product.

We are now stocking a wide variety of the HD systems, but only in 35W, and in 4300K. We use the HD bulb in our aux. light as well, and have some more colors available for that one.

When I get some time, I'll start a new thread detailing some of the products for everyone to see.
Please post or email for details until then, as the website does not have any info on most of our products including these.

thanks.
futurevisionhid.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #213
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I had a little free time this morning, so I started to install my HID kit.

My first step was just a raw electrical hookup, and everything worked fine. Then I pulled the rubber boot off the back of my headlight, to get at the bulb.

MAN, I'm glad I have never had to change that headlight bulb on the road. The F650GS is just a tight package for me to work on. I really do like the bike, but sometimes I get annoyed at the tight integration and lack of room. There's a retainer ring that holds the bulb in, and I thought I broke it reassembling the light, but it turns out that a couple of tabs on the back of the headlight housing actually broke off with virtually no pressure. Fatigued plastic, I guess. This made it difficult to align the retainer ring, but doesn't seem to stop a positive lock. Everything feels tight.

I would like to make one point now. The retaining ring on my bike is made of plastic, and rotates to lock into place. This rotation is made slightly more difficult by the design of the bulb mount. The three little metal tabs have screw holes punched and threaded into them, and the ragged edges tend to catch on the plastic of the retainer. This is a very small issue, but one I felt I should mention. It just took a little extra fiddling to get it into place, and it seemed that if I put in the little screws to get the heads in place for lower friction, the assembled parts would be a bit too thick for the retainer.

So I got the bulb in, hooked up electricity and ran a simple test. Nice bright WHITE light (with the faintest hints of blue around the edges). So white that I can now see the very yellowish parking bulb inside the headlight housing. It used to be pretty much invisible, I guess due to the similar color of the main bulb and the parking bulb? I verified low/high beam, and satisfied myself that I had a working setup. My bulb is the 4300 degree color temperature, and I think it's just right.

My next issue became finding a place to mount the ballast and relay. For this, I had to tear open my headlight cowling. I used a bit of that 3M plastic hook-lock stuff (great, great product) to attach the relay to the plastic inside. The ballast was trickier, and I wound up just zip-tying it to a piece of tubing that forms the mounting points for the cowling.

This diagram shows the headlight housing, I attached the relay inside item #10, above the headlight housing somewhere between 5 and 9. There's plenty of room for small components inside there.

The ballast is mounted to the right (when sitting on the bike). This picture shows the mounting rail inside the above picture, I have the ballast zip tied inside the curved rail:

I have one issue left at present, which is that the ground wire is a little too short to run directly to the battery, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good screw to ground it on. I may just go ahead and extend the wire this afternoon. Oddly, while my forks seem to be well grounded, that support tubing I used to mount the ballast isn't, at least not according to MY multimeter.

Two soldered joints and eight inches of heavy copper wire later, all is well. Unfortunately, Hanna is dumping a lot of rain on us right now, so taking 'after' pictures (not that I ever got 'befores') isn't happening tonight. I do love the amount of light I get in the garage, though.

JDLuke screwed with this post 09-06-2008 at 06:26 PM
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #214
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I have a 07 KLR 650 and would like to know what options you have for it?

Thanks...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #215
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

07 Klr 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi
I have a 07 KLR 650 and would like to know what options you have for it?

Thanks...
Golevi,

For the best results, I would recommend one of the excellent after market fairings from Britannia Composites:
http://www.britanniacomposites.com/fairing.html

They have a nice product with HID option.

If you simply want to convert yours, our H4 (9003 HB2) conversion kit will work nicely for you. We have two option available for you. Our XP series, which many here have bought including JDLuke above this post, and our new HD series for the ultimate solution using superior components and super long service life:

XP Kit:
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/9003-...kit-p-130.html

HD Kit:
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/9003-...kit-p-151.html

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #216
Shaggie
Unseen University

HID longevity when...

Hey Bruno

I may not be the only one with this type of query so here goes....

Here in NZ, our Superhawks are wired to run with their headlight always on - the switch cluster does not have an off position for the headlight just hi/lo.

So when i start the bike, there's a switch in the starter mechanism that cut's the bulb out while the motor cranks over.....

this momentary cutting off and starting up again of the bulb - will this cycling have an adverse effect on HID systems (seems likely enough to me) and if so should i try and engineer an on/off switch for my headlight???

Cheers

Shane

Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #217
PHOTON PHIL
THe REAL poser

Oddometer: 248
Question 06 V strom

Do you have a kit for my 06 vee strom? Are both the low and high beams HID?
Thanks
PHOTON PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #218
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

ballast start up with daytime running lights.

Shaggie,

All our ballasts have built in protection systems. If supply voltage does not meet minimum requirement of 9V, the system will not power up until minimum voltage is met. Most quality ballasts should be able to handle this. The main difference between the many models available is the components used in the design. This will determine how robust the system is, and we greatly effect long term reliablility.
A lot of the ballasts you find on ebay, and other 'cheap' sources can have many issues. The reason they are so cheap, is there are many factories now in China producing knock-offs. These have a high reject rate, and the rejects are sold off in bulk to third party agents who re-work the ballasts to get them to work again. These are re-sold in kits with poor quality bulbs for as little as $50/kit! Often these re-worked systems will fail very shortly after being installed, or you might get lucky and they will last 6 months to a year. I think most guys/gals are not willing to risk this very important safety feature to save a few bucks. Also its a pain in the butt to re-do the install if you have issues. Do it right the first time!
I know this is a little more than you asked, but i feel its important that everyone is aware there is a huge variance in quality with all the HID systems available. We will guarantee that we will never use any cheap components on our systems.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #219
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTON PHIL
Do you have a kit for my 06 vee strom? Are both the low and high beams HID?
Thanks

PP,

We have a solution for every bike!
In the post above to Golevi are links to the same system you need for your V-Strom. Those kits are for one bulb/ballast systems. Your bike uses two H4/9003 bulbs, so if you want to do both, you can get the automotive kit with an option to get the m/c harnesses. They are different lenghts than the car harness. The auto version version is more cost effective than buying two m/c kits.

The HD version of the auto kit is not on the site-were woring away at it madly, this website stuff takes a long time, hard to find a good webguy-anyone for hire? :)

Let me know exactly what you want and we will put together a system for you np.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #220
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

HID with internal ballast and if you're located in Canada, bonus.

Would you have something like that?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #221
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

sorry, but we don't have aux. lights with int. Ballast.
Our projector factory is working on a design similar to this with the built in ballast. I think it would be a great option to have.

These units have a very low price, perhaps I'll order one and do some testing. I have some reservation on the quality and beam pattern for a self contained unit in that price range.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #222
Shaggie
Unseen University

Thanks Bruno for the reply!

I was thinking more of the bulb longevity but i think i should rephrase my query for you.

When i turn the key on but before pushing the go button, my headlight turns on....doesn't this mean that the HID bulb will fire up too?

THEN i push the starter button and momentarily the bulb goes out while the starter is cranking and then relights once the bike is running - this quick on off cycle evry time i start the bike - what if any implicationas does this have on the bulb and/or other components?

Will you replace bulbs under warranty if they fail inside 12 months? And if so, does the replacement bulb then have a 12month warranty too?

Cheers

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevisionhid.com
Shaggie,

All our ballasts have built in protection systems. If supply voltage does not meet minimum requirement of 9V, the system will not power up until minimum voltage is met. Most quality ballasts should be able to handle this. The main difference between the many models available is the components used in the design. This will determine how robust the system is, and we greatly effect long term reliablility.
A lot of the ballasts you find on ebay, and other 'cheap' sources can have many issues. The reason they are so cheap, is there are many factories now in China producing knock-offs. These have a high reject rate, and the rejects are sold off in bulk to third party agents who re-work the ballasts to get them to work again. These are re-sold in kits with poor quality bulbs for as little as $50/kit! Often these re-worked systems will fail very shortly after being installed, or you might get lucky and they will last 6 months to a year. I think most guys/gals are not willing to risk this very important safety feature to save a few bucks. Also its a pain in the butt to re-do the install if you have issues. Do it right the first time!
I know this is a little more than you asked, but i feel its important that everyone is aware there is a huge variance in quality with all the HID systems available. We will guarantee that we will never use any cheap components on our systems.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #223
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

Shaggie

The on/off/on cycles will do no harm to our components. The digital circuit determines if the input power is suitable before it routes power to the ignitor circuit firing up the bulb. Quick on/off cycles will have no detremental effects. In fact, once the bulb is initailly ignited, the ballast has a quick re-fire circuit so that the warm up cycle does not need to reoccur. The bulb will continue where it left off before it was turned off. No worries.
12 month warranty applies provided proper installation guidelines are followed.

Warranty is effective from the date of purchase and is not extended if replacement is required.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #224
futurevisionhid.com OP
The Light King

another note, the HD Series carries a full 18 month warranty on bulb & ballast.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #225
Shaggie
Unseen University

Cheers Bruno!