User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Why No Unmolested Sport Bikes?

I have been watching the Flea Market section here, as well as looking on several local craigslists for a well-cared-for used sportbike....with the bike of preference a '07-11 GSX-R600. I want the bike primarily for (hopefully) some solo weekend or longer trips. I've had a couple sportbikes, and actually wish I had kept the '09 GSX-R600 I had, but that's water under the bridge now.

The current crop of sportbikes are probably above the capabilities of 99% of the riders who own them, so my question is, why do most of the bikes on the market have many of the same pointless modifications......aftermarket (louder) exhaust, power commanders, "undertail" treatments, etc.? Some would say the undertail treatment is merely a cosmetic preference, but apparently most of the the stock stuff gets thrown away when the stock parts are removed. It's difficult to attach soft bags to the "nothing" that's left. Who wants to listen to the howl of a loud exhaust for hours on end? Is the 100+ HP bike really too slow for riding around town wearing shorts a T-shirt and flip flops that you need an extra 5 HP?

I understand "farkling" a bike to personalize it, but is it just as much an exercise in dick measuring to have a bike that's really just like everone elses? I realize this post isn't going to change a thing, but I wonder if there are other potential buyers that wish there were some stock used bikes out there?

Rant over...ride on!

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,686
I posted this same question a while back. I think a stock bike is a sign of a mature rider. When I see a well used Harley or Sportbike with stock exhaust I instantly have more respect for them.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 990
Bikes have nothing to do with logic. It's all about having fun and doing mods. I would think that 600 sport bikes might be the worst because the are in a price range that a young single male can get a loan for. So a mature 600 rider is a rare beast
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I was in the same boat when searching for an 05-06 GSXR 1000. I wanted one bone stock or as close to stock as possible. I waited a while & got what I wanted. A bone stock 06 GSXR 1000 with 3815 on the clock & the owner was a Marine to boot, so I was very happy to buy it from him.

Changing the exhaust its not necessarily a bad thing, it depends what exhaust you put on it. There are high quality exhausts that sound just a bit louder than stock when you are cruising & actually improve your powerband. Of course, the majority of them are meant to improve the "looks & sound" so unfortunately that is what you are going to find most.

I despise under tails & fender eliminators so I am with you on that one.

Just wait it out, check Searchtempest.com, it searches Craigslist sites witin the area you specifiy. I used to search there 2-3 times a day & eventually found what I was looking for.

Here is my bone stock ride.

arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,124
young boys buying & they have $ to burn in their pockets.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,727
Stock is always more valuable.

When I found my 1992 ZX6 that had 28 or 29,000 miles, bone stock, I jumped at it. Thing of beauty.

For me to buy a bike, it has to be stock.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I posted this same question a while back. I think a stock bike is a sign of a mature rider. When I see a well used Harley or Sportbike with stock exhaust I instantly have more respect for them.
+1. I whole heartedly agree.
ps.. all my bikes had the stock exhaust, and if they didn't come with the original exhaust system, then I scoured eBay or other places, found it, bought it and installed it.
Tony
Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
kingrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Love stock bikes. Been riding for over 40 years and have never modified any of the many bikes I've owned. Figured the engineers (both design and functional types) got it right to begin with. Like it was noted before, they are worth a lot more if left alone.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
For me to buy a bike, it has to be stock.
Generally I agree, but there are sensible upgrades that are okay especially if you get the original parts with the bike. I recently bought a bike with a Corbin seat, Helibars, and taller windshield but also got all the original parts. I estimate it would cost around $1200 for me to add those farkles.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
I have been watching the Flea Market section here, as well as looking on several local craigslists for a well-cared-for used sportbike....with the bike of preference a '07-11 GSX-R600. I want the bike primarily for (hopefully) some solo weekend or longer trips. I've had a couple sportbikes, and actually wish I had kept the '09 GSX-R600 I had, but that's water under the bridge now.

The current crop of sportbikes are probably above the capabilities of 99% of the riders who own them, so my question is, why do most of the bikes on the market have many of the same pointless modifications......aftermarket (louder) exhaust, power commanders, "undertail" treatments, etc.? Some would say the undertail treatment is merely a cosmetic preference, but apparently most of the the stock stuff gets thrown away when the stock parts are removed. It's difficult to attach soft bags to the "nothing" that's left. Who wants to listen to the howl of a loud exhaust for hours on end? Is the 100+ HP bike really too slow for riding around town wearing shorts a T-shirt and flip flops that you need an extra 5 HP?

I understand "farkling" a bike to personalize it, but is it just as much an exercise in dick measuring to have a bike that's really just like everone elses? I realize this post isn't going to change a thing, but I wonder if there are other potential buyers that wish there were some stock used bikes out there?

Rant over...ride on!

Lynn
One could ask...if the complete lack of personalisation simply a sign of an owner with no imagination, short arms/long pockets and an overwhelming urge to be a conformist....
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only one in the "Leave It Alone" camp! Another thing that always raises a red flag to me is a bike with 3-4,000 miles on it that has a new tire with "about 1000 miles on it". I know sportbikes can eat up tires pretty fast, but to me it screams "smokey burnout" and bouncing off the rev limiter.

Cosmetic and ergonomic things like seats, bars, etc. are one thing...they're easily returned to stock, IF the stock parts are still with the bike, OR I might actually like the change. Generally though, I find the stock parts are long gone. Aftermarket exhaust and power commanders both suggest a bike might have been thrashed a bit.

I'm fortunate enough that I could afford to buy new and eliminate my used bike gripes, but new bikes take such a hard hit on value in the first couple years I just can't make myself throw hard-earned money away like that. I guess I'll just have to be patient and be ready to travel a bit for the right bike. A fly-n-ride sounds like fun anyway!

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
One could ask...if the complete lack of personalisation simply a sign of an owner with no imagination, short arms/long pockets and an overwhelming urge to be a conformist....
I've always thought the "undertail eliminator" crowd, for instance, was conforming to non-conformity

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 609
i like the roar of an unbaffled exhaust. also, most stock exhausts on japanese bikes are dog's ass fugly.

i think tail hangers look ugly as hell and overextend the lines of a sportbike. trim dat tail, baby!

power commanders are an easy way to clean up spotty fueling and notchy throttle response, at least for n00bs. (i am a n00b.)

i usually install mirror extenders or bar ends, change to a better seat, and throw on some grip puppies. *shrug* sorry if it makes used buyers consider my rides tainted somehow.

(i do keep all my stock parts around for resale, though.)

simple?
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Lots of interesting takes and rather arguable assumptions based on...wait for it...wait for it...the desire for a bike to suit their own particular tastes.

Doesn't matter if the choices are "ergonomic" (approved) versus whatever the disliker of the changed part, deems to be "dick measuring" (not approved)

VFR1200. Some people, Lord help them, like the stock muffler. No offense to owners of them, but I find it repellent to the extreme, and would easily pass up one for sale for another, if the second one had a nice aftermarket swapped in mufler. If it happened to be the exact brand/style I wanted, bonus!

Alternatively:

DR350. I put a SuperTrapp on, to try and lose some porky poundage of the stock boat anchor. It was waaay lighter, and did make a real difference in the feeling of performance to the bike.

I couldn't get rid of it and put the OEM exhaust back on fast enough, though! The utterly obnoxious loud sound and ringing ears within a few miles, gave me instant headaches and I deemed it completely unrideable.

I wouldn't dream of inferring from a bone stock bike that the owner was a "mature rider" and suddenly bestow respect upon them. Some of the completely untouched bikes I've passed over buying, turned out that the owner simply knew nothing of repair or maintenance, and was too afraid or cheap, or uncaring to ever lift a finger to do anything mechanical. They had no passion or real interest, and simply thought of the bike as a thing, with zero attachment. (other than wanting a laughable amount of money for it, because it had low miles and was completely stock.

I'm perfectly willing to admit my own hypocritical attitude on this rather never ending topic though, lol. I'm not immune from having an intense hatred of hacked up and flat black spraybombed front and rear fenderless Hipster "bobber" bikes, that IMHO have utterly ruined a nice, stock bike that I would have loved to own and cherish.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 609
also, wtf at the "manufacturer got it right" argument: manufacturers favor some reasonable degree of CHEAP, not PERFECT, and often design the bikes for some mythical "average" person. i mean, look at some recent history: the fueling and throttle response on the fz-09; the ctx1300 mirror placement; the engine heat dispersal through cosmetic cuts in the left side fairing of the bmw f800gt. they don't ALWAYS get it right, even when they try really hard.

and as a former gladius owner, if you don't change that bike's hideous dominatrix boot stocker exhaust for a clean, simple can:
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote