User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
fletchiii OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
2013 vs 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

I have put a deposit on a 2014 and am excited about a new bike that is a helluva lot lighter than my r12GS! It was suggested to me that I consider the '13 w/o ABS as it would lighted up the bike significantly. From what I've been able to find on the web, the weights appear to be the same. So my question is: HOW? Other differences that you think are significant in favor of one vs the other?

Also, for those who've jumped into one of these, what mods have you done?

Thank you. All well intended suggestions / comments are greatly appreciated.
fletchiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I have read that the 2014 only gained a couple of pounds with the added ABS system, but lost some weight because of the removed SAS emissions.

You can lose about 5 pounds of bike weight by replacing the stock exhaust cannister with a Wings silencer, and lose another 5 pounds by replacing the stock battery with a Lithium Ion battery.
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
I can't ride..

Oddometer: 113
I decided to go with the 2014 because it will see just as many street miles as it will offroad and the ABS quite will be useful there. Also from all reports the new twin-spark motor and ride-by-wire system seems to have cured all the fueling issues that plague some of 09-13 bikes.

From everything I've read the 2014 bike weighs the same as 12-13 bikes. The ABS only weighs 1.5 lbs which is certainly offset by removal of some of the emissions crap. They took out one of the ecu modules and I read the new forks a bit lighter as well. It all ads up.

When mine gets here I plan on installing a Wings pipe and 8-cell lithium battery. That will get it down to about 295 dry. From there shedding weight is much harder so I'm just going to throw on some HDB handgurads, Hardparts windscreen & grip heaters, aluminum skid plate and call it a day. Grab a Giant Loop and it should be quite the offroad touring weapon compared to my 1200GSA.

Roaming about North Texas.
181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
1.5 - 2 lbs sounds about right for the ABS. The module is very small, the rings weigh a couple of ounces, and the lines are slightly longer. Overall not a big deal, and since it's supposed to work very well I would get it with ABS if I was in the market for a new bike.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
SoCalBrian
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Love this bike!

I have had my 2014 for about a month now and it is awesome. Got the first 600 out the way within a week, did the service myself and have been flogging it ever since. Bike is a beast. Definitely feel the extra weight over my 07 WR450, but it is nothing you don't get used to after a 100 miles in the dirt. I put the Wings pipe on, K&N Air Filter and did the 15 minutes idle reset, runs like a top and sounds great. Highly recommend the Wings pipe, great prices and fast shipping. New foot pegs or extenders are a must, I went with CJ Designs and am very happy.

If wouldn't even think about choosing a 2013 over the 2014, it s so nice to have the ABS on the street, and it is very easy to turn off when your heading for the dirt.

Follow through on that deposit and enjoy the ride!
SoCalBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
fletchiii OP
Adventurer

Great advice

Thank you all. I've decided to stay with the '14 as well. Seems nothing to lose and a fair bit to gain. Planning on adding grip warmers, a small touring windscreen (haven't seen it yet but am told it is quite small), plastic skid plate (hard choice for me as I beat the heck out of my big aluminum one on the 12GS), dropping the emissions bits, and adding the off road dongle.

From here the dealer was suggesting a Leo Vince slip on. Any thoughts on this? Lots of talk I see about the Wings exhaust. Any thoughts appreciated here.

Finally for now, I think the light lithium ion battery makes good sense. Anyone know which one to get?

I appreciate the help. Should be picking the new bike up this weekend!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 747
I'd pass on the Leo Vince. I have it on my bike and it is too loud. Not the good kind of loud either, the snap, crackle, pop sound like an old lowrider with blown out glasspacks. My XR100 with a DMC pipe makes a "throatier" sound without all the crackling! The "silent" insert just chokes the hell out of it and you end up with less power than stock and it is still very loud. The short length of the can does not help with packing life. I've got less than 10k miles on the LV and it is about due for it's 2nd repack. I'll be looking into replacing it with a Wings can when funds allow.

I would not suggest an 8 cell LiFePo4 battery either, go straight for the 12. It still weighs next to nothing. Almost all of the failures of lithium batteries that I have read about have been linked back to too small of a battery. I've been using an Anti Gravity 12 cell battery in the OEM case size, I've heard very positive things about EarthX as well.

Those are going to be the 2 cheapest (lbs per dollar) places to lose weight, but don't kid yourself thinking it will be sub 300lbs... my '09 is advertised at 305lbs without fuel and with a lithium battery and LV exhaust it is 329lbs ready to ride. Subtract the 20lbs of fuel and that makes 309 AFTER dropping at least 10lbs of battery/exhaust. Hand gaurds, skidplates, UHD inner tubes, rim locks, lighting, etc all add up.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
fletchiii OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I'd pass on the Leo Vince. I have it on my bike and it is too loud. Not the good kind of loud either, the snap, crackle, pop sound like an old lowrider with blown out glasspacks. My XR100 with a DMC pipe makes a "throatier" sound without all the crackling! The "silent" insert just chokes the hell out of it and you end up with less power than stock and it is still very loud. The short length of the can does not help with packing life. I've got less than 10k miles on the LV and it is about due for it's 2nd repack. I'll be looking into replacing it with a Wings can when funds allow.

I would not suggest an 8 cell LiFePo4 battery either, go straight for the 12. It still weighs next to nothing. Almost all of the failures of lithium batteries that I have read about have been linked back to too small of a battery. I've been using an Anti Gravity 12 cell battery in the OEM case size, I've heard very positive things about EarthX as well.

Those are going to be the 2 cheapest (lbs per dollar) places to lose weight, but don't kid yourself thinking it will be sub 300lbs... my '09 is advertised at 305lbs without fuel and with a lithium battery and LV exhaust it is 329lbs ready to ride. Subtract the 20lbs of fuel and that makes 309 AFTER dropping at least 10lbs of battery/exhaust. Hand gaurds, skidplates, UHD inner tubes, rim locks, lighting, etc all add up.

Solid advice. Thank you J. That settles the LV slip on! Sounds like Wings is the way to go as well. Next I'll search for the battery.

What seats are you all using? I plan to ride hundreds of miles on the street to get to the dirt and would like to be comfy. I hear the stock seat doesn't cut it for most.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
The exhaust mounting is different on the 14's so you can't use a can from 08-13. There also is no way to change fuel mapping at this point as it has the new software.

Seat concepts or renazco.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
fletchiii OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
The exhaust mounting is different on the 14's so you can't use a can from 08-13. There also is no way to change fuel mapping at this point as it has the new software.

Seat concepts or renazco.

My dealer seemed to suggest re-mapping wouldn't be an issue, but I wondered if that was right... Does that mean 1 kind of slip on vs another would make more sense?
'12 XCF-W 250
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Read the thread on the 14, no reason to duplicate everything.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
KTM666
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Speedo change for 17" wheels?

Does anyone know how to change the wheel setting to 1870 on the new 690? The old method doesn't seem to work, maybe something changed with abs?
KTM666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
fletchiii OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Read the thread on the 14, no reason to duplicate everything.
WSMC831 - being newer here I'd sure appreciate a link. I've not gotten the hang of the search function yet.
'12 XCF-W 250
Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
I can't ride..

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchiii View Post
WSMC831 - being newer here I'd sure appreciate a link. I've not gotten the hang of the search function yet.
All things 690ER here..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722987

2014 specific thread here..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900813

690 rack & luggage thread..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365169

Suspension thread..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900813

Show off thread..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624319

Roaming about North Texas.
181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #15
Dogi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Tiny question about -13 model: Is there a small knob in right ride, facing towards the driver, of a clamp / bracket that attaches front brake lever to the handlebar? It seems that the job of this knob is to connect brake lever to throttle handle. Throttle handle has a "dual knob" on it's left side, in between which "brake lever knob" docks..

I saw pictures of older 690s that had nice round aftermarket mirrors of them, attached between throttle and brake lever, and wanted to do the same.. So there is no knob on my throttle handle body anymore, and I was just wondering am I the only one with "hacksaw mod" -14 KTM :)

P.S. Should deepish scratches in "used to be black" aluminium surface (=throttle handle body) be treated somehow?
Dogi is offline   Reply With Quote