Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #196
Orangeshirtdude
Fight the Power Commander

Oddometer: 65
Anyone know the width of the rear supermoto/17" rim Beta uses or that will fit on a 2009 Beta RR? I hate to spend $1300 on a set of 17" wheels when I can get away with a set of KTM Behrs and have some custom spacers made. Just curious if a 5" rear will fit. Looks like no. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Orangeshirtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #197
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
2011 eye candy

riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #198
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713

Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #199
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Nice video. So what did you think about the 520?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #200
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Blast from the past

OK, so it's not one of the spiffy-looking new models, but I found a deal on a 250RS a couple months ago. I finally got some time to take it on a couple rides -- wow, this thing handles amazingly well! I've been doing my trail riding for the last several years on a DRZ400S, so the Beta feels better in every way. On the trails, anyway unbalanced wheels and stiff suspension on the road are not cool, but that's why I still have the DRZ.

Winter in the Pacific Northwest:

Part of the bike being so cheap is that it's missing some parts and needs some attention.

So far, the only 'mod' done is putting some Highway Dirtbikes hand guards on. These things seem bomber, and the little fold-in mirror is really cool. Only problem is that I had to move the handlebar risers to the rear position and shim out the speedo unit so they fit (HDB includes a replacement top-clamp for the bars, and that's where the guards mount). This photo is not a close-up of the guards, but you can see 'em pretty well:

Has anyone seen a place selling handlebar risers that are about half an inch taller than the stock ones?

Also, as you might note in the first photo, there is no kickstand. Can anyone comment on the TrailTech stand vs. trying to find a stock one in terms of cost and/or durability/functionality?

DRZ is making oil and air-filter maintenance seem easy, but I just have to remind myself how the Beta feels going over whoops
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #201
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
unbalanced wheels and stiff suspension on the road are not cool, .

Winter in the Pacific Northwest:

So far, the only 'mod' done is putting some Highway Dirtbikes hand guards on. These things seem bomber, and the little fold-in mirror is really cool. Only problem is that I had to move the handlebar risers to the rear position and shim out the speedo unit so they fit (HDB includes a replacement top-clamp for the bars, and that's where the guards mount). This photo is not a close-up of the guards, but you can see 'em pretty well:

Has anyone seen a place selling handlebar risers that are about half an inch taller than the stock ones?
Beautiful Pics Remarksman.
The bar risers, and a bunch of other stuff, can be found HERE.

Will the risers allow you to move your bars back up? I was looking at the Highway Dirtbikes guards but if they dictate bar position, that's a deal killer for me.

I balanced my wheels with stick-on wheel weights. It helped alot on the street. My suspension is dialed for dirt and makes for a pretty smooth ride on the street as well.

I don't have any info on the sidestand other than I'm fairly certain that the stocker would be available at a Beta dealer.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #202
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950 View Post
Nice video. So what did you think about the 520?

I like the 520 but I really need to be able to get some more test riding on it.

Hopefully soon I will be able to meet up with the shop owner again for some more testing.

I really like the motor on the 520 its very quiet both for engine noise and also exhaust tone ,I also like the engine alot because it feels really controllable ,it can be putt putted around or twist the wick and it comes to life and really pulls. The motor is decieving sometimes untill you look at the speedometer and see how fast you are actually going and how fast you got to that speed
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #203
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950 View Post
The bar risers, and a bunch of other stuff, can be found HERE.

Will the risers allow you to move your bars back up? I was looking at the Highway Dirtbikes guards but if they dictate bar position, that's a deal killer for me.

I balanced my wheels with stick-on wheel weights. It helped alot on the street. My suspension is dialed for dirt and makes for a pretty smooth ride on the street as well.

I don't have any info on the sidestand other than I'm fairly certain that the stocker would be available at a Beta dealer.
Thanks Riceless!
I thought I remembered looking at that page on the American Beta site before I bought the bike, but now I can't find a link to that page on Beta's main pages. Anyway, I'll have to do some careful measuring -- I'm not sure if 10mm will be quite enough to clear the speedo unit.

The HDB guards come with a replacement for the top clamp on the bar, and that's what the guards mount to. That is, the highest-up silver thing in the photo you enclosed. So risers won't make any difference to the way the guards mount.
Check out the "Gallery" link at their site: http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/

I live "out in the boonies" so I usually try to get everything mail-order, but it looks like I'll have to find a Beta dealership somewhere to pick up some parts.

Wishing we had weather like the nice pictures you posted last week! It snowed here on the coast yesterday.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #204
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Here's a RIDE REPORT with an '09 and an '11 beta.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #205
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
bigger tank for the BETA 2011

Hi guys,

is there somebody around the world who make a bigger tank for the 2011 Betas

A big dealer in Italy, Boano, is telling me since last novemver 2010 that he will offer one but until today nothing happened. I think, too much vino rosso and spaghetti carbonara
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #206
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Here in The States the hold up is from the aftermarket manufacturer. I would suspect that is true worldwide.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #207
Orangeshirtdude
Fight the Power Commander

Oddometer: 65
I'm STILL waiting on the rest of my bike to arrive.

Orangeshirtdude screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 07:19 PM
Orangeshirtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #208
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh Sad oil change story

Well, maintaining this Beta is turning into a bucket of worms.

First I changed the oil last week. When I took the short funky oil screen unit out, it puked a bunch of aluminum shavings:

(The big things are pine needles, but all the little stuff is metal). I'm pretty sure it's mostly aluminum, only a few pieces picked up with a magnet.
I thought, "Well, the previous owners may have never removed this thing, and it's just from sloppy manufacturing." I've seen similar images from first oil changes in the KTM threads.

But then after sitting for a week, I noticed the bike was leaking oil all over the floor. At first I thought maybe it was just because of the stupid design with the two filters that left oil all over the left side of the engine, but then it kept coming. So I took a careful look... Uh oh:

Looks like the case broke. I don't think I overdid anything. The drain plug was a bit awkward, because the frame is right there, with not much room for wrenches and stuff, but it wasn't that bad.

Not sure if JB Weld is the way to go with this, or if I need to have someone weld it up. Bleah!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #209
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Not so bad after all

Spent some time crawling around under the bike last night. It turns out the problem is probably just that the previous owner lost the oil drain bolt, and the replacement bolt's shoulder is too big.

That is, the "built-in washer" shoulder part of this bolt:

Is ever-so-slightly larger than the round cut-out on the case:

Top of the bolt:

I think the oil was only staying in the engine only because the crush washer was really thick. I tried to re-use the crush washer, thinking that it looked pretty new. That should have been a hint that it was not actually being "crushed."
I think the cracked-looking part of the case is either designed to be like that so the oil drains better(*), or else it was broken off by the too-big bolt, but the important thing is that it is not part of the sealing surface.

(*)What idiot engineers design a horizontal oil drain? This thing has been draining since Sunday afternoon and oil is STILL dripping out this morning.

Anyone changed their oil recently and can confirm if this bolt looks anything like the correct one?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #210
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Anyone changed their oil recently and can confirm if this bolt looks anything like the correct one?
For anyone following along, I found out this is not the stock bolt. The stocker has a 1.5 pitch, while this one is 1.75.
Looks like a previous owner lost the stock bolt, then used this self-tapping bolt to re-arrange the threads. The threads in the case look OK to me, so I think I can just shave down the shoulder on this bolt so it fits into recessed area, and hopefully I'll be good to go.