The Rincon Trail

riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #228
Orangeshirtdude
Fight the Power Commander

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Wow, what has it been, 4 months waiting? Have fun!
Yeah, I was somewhat displeased with the dealer, the shipper who broke off the gauges and is dumping my damage claim, and the support at Beta corporate. However, after riding the rock gardens at Taskers Gap and Peter Mill Run near Edinburg, Virginia, I'm willing to just say fack it and ride the piss out of this bike. I LOVED it and cannot wait to go back out there and do it all again.
Orangeshirtdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #229
Orangeshirtdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
I have a couple pre-purchase questions on the 2010 400RR.

1) I didn't check the bike on the showroom floor for either a coolant recovery bottle or fan. Does it have either/both?
Neither/nor, but you can add the Beta fan. Anything is possible with coolant overflow recovery, but the fan is probably more useful.

Quote:
2) In line with question #1, does the 400RR run noticeably hotter than other 4 strokes?
I lugged my 450RR through the rocks out in the Shenandoah mountains last Sunday. Lot's of first gear runs through long rock gardens. Lots of slow, controlled hill climbs. No fan, no overheating, didn't seem any hotter than anything else I've ridden. Mine's an 09 KTM RFS engine though.

Quote:
How is the seat height once broken in? I am used to Huskys which are tall. I'd love for the bike to be an honest 1" lower if not 1.5".
Yeah good luck with that. Betas have comparatively low seat heights out of the box already, and their OEM seats are *cough* firm.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #230
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeshirtdude View Post
Good news: My 450 RR is finally ready to ride, and I'll be testing it out this Sunday at Tasker's Gap in the GW National Forest in Virginia. In the meantime, I'm terrorizing my neighborhood on it in the middle of the night. I'll post video.
I scanned through your posts but couldn't track down what problems you had. What was wrong with your bike when you received it or did something break early on?

NC
NumberCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #231
Orangeshirtdude

Quote:
I scanned through your posts but couldn't track down what problems you had. What was wrong with your bike when you received it or did something break early on?

NC
I bought a leftover 2009 off a showroom floor in another state and had it shipped. Got the bike minus the front fender, fender brace, headlight + mounts, and some hardware. I also negotiated for the dual sport kit to make the RR street legal here in Maryland and still needed those parts. Well let's just say that time went by, and I never really got all the stuff, even though I got a couple boxes after bitching. I have most of the DS kit now, and I'm expecting all the remaining bits to show up tomorrow or Monday after I bought them from Nero's in Pennsylvania.

Oh and the shipping company, Forward Air, crushed the crate and broke off the gauges. The shipping broker, ASM Group, opened a claim and then promptly told me to go fly a kite when they saw the damage estimate.

I quickly discovered that the bike had also sat a loooong time with fuel in the tank, and varnish came loose from the petcock and plugged up the carb jets. A buddy helped me get it all cleaned up. Now to the shop's credit, they did send me a new tank and petcock, which I really appreciate. They also gave me a great bike at a good price. All said and done, the bike now brings a smile to my face. Yeah I was annoyed with the contact at the shop over not getting the missing parts, but now I'm satisfied enough to not harbor any contempt. It really was a good deal so no point in complaining too much. I'm not going to trash them on the forums since I know it's really tough for shop owners and managers to make it in our economy. I'll take some for the team just to keep the Beta market flourishing. These really are awesome bikes.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #232
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Neither/nor, but you can add the Beta fan. Anything is possible with coolant overflow recovery, but the fan is probably more useful.

I lugged my 450RR through the rocks out in the Shenandoah mountains last Sunday. Lot's of first gear runs through long rock gardens. Lots of slow, controlled hill climbs. No fan, no overheating, didn't seem any hotter than anything else I've ridden. Mine's an 09 KTM RFS engine though.

Yeah good luck with that. Betas have comparatively low seat heights out of the box already, and their OEM seats are *cough* firm.

I got the gutz soft seat . It is a little wider and it's like a couch . It''s such a simple mod but one of the best ...although you already probably got another seat or drilled holes in the stock seat foam. I was just going to drill holes in mine but then I got internet happy and just ordered it. Drilling holes would only cost staples.
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #233
Orangeshirtdude

After riding for 8 hours at Taskers last Sunday, I find that I actually like the stock 2x6 wood seat. Now once I street tag this bike, I may just pick up another seat to make more comfy since I like the firm one for the serious offroading.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #234
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeshirtdude View Post
after riding for 8 hours at taskers last sunday, i find that i actually like the stock 2x6 wood seat. Now once i street tag this bike, i may just pick up another seat to make more comfy since i like the firm one for the serious offroading.
+1
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #235
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
After riding for 8 hours at Taskers last Sunday, I find that I actually like the stock 2x6 wood seat. Now once I street tag this bike, I may just pick up another seat to make more comfy since I like the firm one for the serious offroading.
Once you get a gutz soft seat you'll change your mind but since you've gotten used to the hard one it's a whole lot cheaper.

The first thing anyone says that rides my bike is "Where'd you get that seat!!!!". Dey like it alot. I'm never going back to stock unless I drill the foam to soften it. You can still always stand with the soft seat too.

Here's some riding at our riding park the other day in Waiale'e' Kahuku on the north shore of Oahu, Hawaii.

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #236
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

What type of enduro computer/odometer do the RR models come with?

Any word on that larger tank yet?

NC
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #237
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
Some news about a bigger tank for the Beta 2011 models ?

Clarke Mfg told me yesterday that the final sanding was being performed and the first tank would be molded today.

WW
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #238
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
Clarke Mfg told me yesterday that the final sanding was being performed and the first tank would be molded today.

WW
Thanks for the update I need one bad.
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #239
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
The 2010/2011 RR/RS aftermarket tank will be available in 3 colors: opaque, black and white.

Tank size is 3.8 gallons.

Tanks should begin shipping Monday.

WW
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #240
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
The 2010/2011 RR/RS aftermarket tank will be available in 3 colors: opaque, black and white.

Tank size is 3.8 gallons.

Tanks should begin shipping Monday.

WW
Wow that is huge! Hopefully not too big . . .

Any pictures?

NC