Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
What is MSRP on these, we have no dealer network within about 1000 miles???
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
I can't speak for the US (pozorider would be able to), but in the UK they are a good few hundred cheaper than the equivalent KTM, there's a significant margin. But second hand they dont seem to hold value like the KTM does, so can be a decent bargain after the first owner takes the hit.

Edit American Beta are showing $8399 MSRP no idea how that compares to a KTM 450 EXC in US
http://www.americanbeta.com/dlrindex...63869-2008.htm

the white rabbit screwed with this post 04-13-2008 at 09:31 AM
the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
WOW, for 84k I could buy every KTM at the dealership!?!
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #19
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
WOW, for 84k I could buy every KTM at the dealership!?!
Ah yes, typo

In the UK I have heard they will go for £5k cash , I think MSRP on the road (taxes etc incl) was about £5.2k

Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 120
How about the 4.0 Alp any info out there?
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanac rider
How about the 4.0 Alp any info out there?
I havent heard or read much about them. I know some people who said they were ok, awful brakes and thats about it but maybe not on the 4.0. I wonder if they are an old Suzuki engine still? A true dualsport though really, I guess.

The Alp 200 is an interesting concept with the seat and tank (?) coming off to turn it into a basic looking trials bike.

Beta's own site is the only place I have seen them
http://www.betamotor.com/en/bikes/show/5

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #22
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
I could be wrong but I don't think the Alp switches to a trials bike. I think the trials bikes have an optional seat/tank combo that gives them more range. American Beta has an Alp that we're evaluating, I haven't rode it yet but I it's supposed to be good.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #23
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PozoRider
I could be wrong but I don't think the Alp switches to a trials bike. I think the trials bikes have an optional seat/tank combo that gives them more range. American Beta has an Alp that we're evaluating, I haven't rode it yet but I it's supposed to be good.
According to the Italian Beta site the 200 does but not the 4.0. Of course it wont be a 'real' trials bike.

I cant grab the graphic but they say:
>>Innovative new concept: from off-roader to trials bike in a few minutes
It’s called the ALP, a classic among off-road two-wheelers, but all that is left of the previous model is the name. New design, new cycle parts, but above all a new concept behind it: it converts from an all-round off-road bike to a trials machine in a few minutes. The idea is as simple as it is brilliant. There are no accessories to buy, all you need is a screwdriver to remove the tank cover and seat, to get an entry level trials bike. One bike, two uses, and only a few minutes to make the conversion <<

And yes, they also show the long range trials kit for the trials bikes.

But as I say this is all just reading, havent seen any of this in real life

Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
PozoRider
Just Ride

Right, I was thinking of the 4.0 that we have, didn't look at the 200.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #25
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Anyone care to tell me what they are getting mileage wise to the 8.5l tank? I reckon its more like 8 and a bit being piccy.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #26
Turbodeezul
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Considering Beta 450/525 RS

So, I've been checking and searching for awhile (thanks for all the awesome info). I'm looking to change up my riding situation. Selling off a '03 Buell XB9R, '03 KDX 220R, and a '03 GasGas 280Pro in order to pick up a Beta 450/525RS (I can't decide which). Life changes and I want one bike to do it all. I don't ride the street that much, but I'm considering the Motard Kit so I can change the bike over pretty quick.

Seems the RFS style motors have a great following and last really well. The oil changes and valve checks do not bother me. I didn't ride at all last year due to various reasons, but I ready to jump back in and trim my fleet down to get one really nice bike.

I test rode a '08 450RS and the power was excellent in the dirt (couldn't try it on the street with M12's). This thing will primarily be an Enduro machine (nicest I would ever own) but I want to Commute to work maybe once to twice a week as well (40mi rnd trip). Would I be better off going with a 525 due to the street use. I've had to push my Buell to get out of crazy situations in traffic on more than one occasion. Is the 525 worth going for, considering I don't want to wear myself out with it on the trail? Everything is a give and take. In today's age the 450 might get a little better fuel economy as well.

I have considered the Husky's but the 610's gear ratios turn me off for tight technical woods work (Rieter for those who know it). The same holds for the 450/510 TE's, with the close ratios on the street.
Turbodeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #27
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Turbodeezul, this thread tends to be a little quiet. I guess the q is releant to KTM RFS owners too, but the nuances will be different, gearing etc maybe . I don't have enough experience to answer, I hope someone can help or maybe PM Rick PozoRider as he is our resident Beta man.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
PozoRider
Just Ride

Hey Turbodeezul,

I ride a 525rs, mostly offroad. I have ridden it to work a few times (64 miles rt), I perfer to ride my 950 to work. It's way more comfortable both physically and mentally. The 525 has planty of hp for the freeway, it's just so light you don't feel as though you should be out there with the cars and trucks.

I ride the 525 everywhere offroad, from Baja to Sierra single track and everything in between. I'm pretty big, 6 ft. 240 lbs, if you're smaller you may like the 450 better, but the weight is not much different. It's a great bike offroad, I don't think you'll be disapointed with either one.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #29
Turbodeezul
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the info

Thanks for letting me know. I've been checking out the EXC info over at ThumperTalk as well.

I don't expect it to be excellent on the Hwy at all, but I do want smooth. Hence the reason I'm considering a full motard kit, so it would be quick to switch over. I remember feeling "small" out there with all the other cages, but good point. It is more of a once in awhile situation, not a consistent commuter. I never even did that with the Buell.

Another question I thought of (trying to cover my bases by picking one bike to do it all). Wondering if it would be cheaper to just get another set of Std off road size rims and run D/S tires that are balanced. I was wondering if there is more tire selection going that route? I don't have any experience with D/S tires but I figure it would be hard to find an aggressive tread Motard sized tire (guessing 17"'ers). I figure this could be much more versatile if I found myself offroad.

From a safety standpoint, would it be better to have the extra power of the 525 on the street? I like the idea of the 450 for the trail aggresiveness, but then again I rode the KDX for a long time but I hit the limit of the suspension on that bike. The power was fine. It took me a long time to realize that if I was down on power, I was a gear to high and not running in the power band or reading the comming situation better.

Maybe I need to search for power characteristics and make a best guess on what might fit my style?
Turbodeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #30
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodeezul
Maybe I need to search for power characteristics and make a best guess on what might fit my style?
good idea!

ok sorry for the sarcasm... but i'm kinda interested in what you end up with