Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Garmin SP 2610 earphone connection

I've recently fitted a Garmin 2610 Street Pilot to my GS. Don't laugh, I like it, and it was very cheap! Can't read the notes in the top of my tankbag any more so I just bang the route into the GPS and away I go- don't need it to do any thinking for me...

Anyway, I also bought an earpiece for it which has a 2.5mm stereo jack into a single helmet speaker, plugged it in and unfortunately it doesn't work. Tried it with the (stereo) earphones off my phone and it works fine, though only through one ear.

Is the Garmin plug a strange type? I tried pulling the plug out of the socket out slightly but no go.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 08:39 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
I've recently fitted a Garmin 2610 Street Pilot to my GS. Don't laugh, I like it, and it was very cheap! Can't read the notes in the top of my tankbag any more so I just bang the route into the GPS and away I go- don't need it to do any thinking for me...

Anyway, I also bought an earpiece for it which has a 2.5mm stereo jack into a single helmet speaker, plugged it in and unfortunately it doesn't work. Tried it with the (stereo) earphones off my phone and it works fine, though only through one ear.

Is the Garmin plug a strange type? I tried pulling the plug out of the socket out slightly but no go.
I still have my old 2610 sitting in my basement. I don't remember it perfectly but are you sure it's a 2.5mm jack? Usually 3.5mm is for headphones and 2.5 for a microphone. I don't think the 2610 uses a microphone for anything. You might just have dirty contacts in the socket as well. Try just wiggling the plug in and out a bunch to see if it cleans up. Also I think most phones also use 3.5mm so you may have the right size plug and you're calling it the wrong thing?

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No, deffo a 2.5mm. Socket does work as stated because the headphones from my mobile (cell) phone play the spoken instructions, one side only though. All the cables etc are brand new. It's like the spacing on the jack connectors (the gaps between the insulator bands on the jack) is different which is perhaps why the stereo plug off my phone works, albeit in mono.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
No, deffo a 2.5mm. Socket does work as stated because the headphones from my mobile (cell) phone play the spoken instructions, one side only though. All the cables etc are brand new. It's like the spacing on the jack connectors (the gaps between the insulator bands on the jack) is different which is perhaps why the stereo plug off my phone works, albeit in mono.
Your phone headset should have an extra band on it for a microphone. Perhaps that's why it's in mono. Can you just take it to a store and try out some other headphones on it? I've never been to Bonnie Scotland so I have no idea what to expect there. I know we have some small enough shops here that I could park the bike right out front and walk out to try headphones at several.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
The lead I use from my 2610 to the Autocom is 2.5mm and has one black insulator on the stem. You're plugging it into the jack coming off the power cord, right?
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine has two black bands. I'm plugging into the jack off the power cord.

Guess it's just the wrong sort of plug.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
insignificant
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Make sure the output is set for headphones and the volume is turned up.
insignificant is offline   Reply With Quote