Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #46
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Adjustable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I get you want adjustability, but if the lower shock mount location is made adjustable, each adjustment location needs a different spring rate. Something not easily done on the trail.
Yep, it does give me the ability to stiffen or soften the whole thing compression and rebound.

As you can imagine, this is all a bit experimental, so having the 'ability' to tune/learn is the idea. The spring rates and valving can be done in the workshop and out we go riding again. I am using HyperPro shocks and, not only are they built tough, they have great tuneability on the bench and riding including hi and lo speed compression dampening. I get excited just talking about it

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #47
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Progress slow but happening

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #48
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Taking shape

Have a couple of pics on progress, apologies they are from a phone. Be interested to learn more about PE (polyethylene) welding. I have a tank for this project that I need to modify and have not had any experience with PE welding. Obviously the mods to the tank will need to be as good as...but not quite sure what is needed to achieve this.

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,316
are you brazing this?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #50
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Not exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
are you brazing this?
Its all 4130 (or more commonly known as Chrome Moly) hence Bronze Welding, which is not exactly brazing, but does tend to be confused by many.

Phoshor Bronze rods are used for those who are interested.

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #51
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Woody's on show again....

Pilbara
Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #52
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,322
your on to something mate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara

Pilbara
thanks for taking care of my light work

i oughta get my ass down there and give ya a shot in the arm

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #53
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,855
What is the advantage of bronze Welding over fusion welding on 4130? I'm under the impression that you have to be careful welding 4130 because it is sensitive to uneven cooling caused by drafts or cooling too quickly and I would guess that bronze welding is done at a lower temperature.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #54
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

i've never heard of bronze 'welding.' I have a fair amount of experience bronze brazing 4130 (which denotes the amount of chromium and molybdenum in the alloy) as well as chrome-vanadium and other exotics. unless the brass rod you are using is alloyed with something special it will melt long before you'll ever get the chrome to melt. not melting the base material and the filler material doesn't count as welding, not as i understand it.

brazing is done between 900 and 1100 degrees. braze melts at a lower temperature than silver, so...

i certainly don't pretend to know everything about everything (like some folks here) but i'm a bit confused. maybe i should do somemore research.

when we weld chrome pipe we have to pre-heat it with blankets and then it's TIG welded.

anyway, the 4130 should be plenty damn strong enough for the frame, that's for sure.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #55
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Its just semantics...

Gidday Bobby, guess it comes down to semantics. I refer to brazing as the process whereby a filler metal or alloy is heated to melting temperature and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action.
The American Welding Society refers to what I call Bronze Welding as Braze Welding and looks like you call it Bronze Brazing. I really don't give a shit what it is called....nothing special about any of it, frame builders have been doing it this way for decades and, to quote someone else 'Braze welding is a procedure used to join two pieces of metal. It is very similar to fusion welding with the exception that the base metal is not melted. The filler metal is distributed onto the metal surfaces by tinning. Braze welding often produces bonds that are comparable to those made by fusion welding without the destruction of the base metal characteristics. Braze welding is also called bronze welding. Braze welding has many advantages over fusion welding. It allows you to join dissimilar metals, to minimize heat distortion, and to reduce extensive pre- heating. Another side effect of braze welding is the elimination of stored-up stresses that are often present in fusion welding.'

The reason I use it, is, it does not cause hardening of the material (4130 being an air hardening steel) due to reaching its critical temperature, I can use thinner sections, read lighter, than manufacturers can with traditional welding methods. If they did, your bikes would be lighter and three times the price cause of the labour content and yeh it will be strong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
What is the advantage of bronze Welding over fusion welding on 4130? I'm under the impression that you have to be careful welding 4130 because it is sensitive to uneven cooling caused by drafts or cooling too quickly and I would guess that bronze welding is done at a lower temperature.
Spot on
Cheers
Pilbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
i've never heard of bronze 'welding.' I have a fair amount of experience bronze brazing 4130 (which denotes the amount of chromium and molybdenum in the alloy) as well as chrome-vanadium and other exotics. unless the brass rod you are using is alloyed with something special it will melt long before you'll ever get the chrome to melt. not melting the base material and the filler material doesn't count as welding, not as i understand it.

brazing is done between 900 and 1100 degrees. braze melts at a lower temperature than silver, so...

i certainly don't pretend to know everything about everything (like some folks here) but i'm a bit confused. maybe i should do somemore research.

when we weld chrome pipe we have to pre-heat it with blankets and then it's TIG welded.

anyway, the 4130 should be plenty damn strong enough for the frame, that's for sure.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #56
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

right on then-- i brazed bicycle frames the same way. both by fillet and by lugged joints. some of those frame tubes had incredibly thin walls, .035, some .027 (butted) and some are thinner, and to think that a 4 pound frame made of that stuff can be too stiff for a 180 lbs rider and won't come apart under a majestic crash.

standing by to see this thing when it's done.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #57
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara
Its all 4130 (or more commonly known as Chrome Moly) hence Bronze Welding, which is not exactly brazing, but does tend to be confused by many.
Prettier than tack welds too!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #58
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Hard to get the smile off my face...

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 05-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #59
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,097
Bastard, Pilbara you don't take shit! Keep it coming

Come on man, give us a rough drawing what you going for.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #60
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Here ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus
Come on man, give us a rough drawing what you going for.
...this is the design spec drawing, all the rest is in mine and Paul Pinfold's head...which have a good wireless connection..

Cheers
Pilbara