Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Use a 276C or 376C as a USB card reader

In updating the maps for an old StreetPilot GPS, I realized you can use a 276 or 376 as a USB card reader. The old StreetPilot only has a serial port and will transfer map data at a very pokey 38K baud. Almost 3 hours for 16M. 128M could take several days!

I put the memory card from the StreetPilot into the 276, connected it via USB to my PC and transferred the maps. Much faster! Since this map data (MetroGuide) isn't locked, I just put the memory card back in the old StreetPilot and the transfer is done. Minutes instead of hours.

This can also be useful if your PC only has USB ports and not the older style serial ports used on older Garmins.

Happy updating!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,748
Great tip, Phil.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
In updating the maps for an old StreetPilot GPS, I realized you can use a 276 or 376 as a USB card reader. The old StreetPilot only has a serial port and will transfer map data at a very pokey 38K baud. Almost 3 hours for 16M. 128M could take several days!

I put the memory card from the StreetPilot into the 276, connected it via USB to my PC and transferred the maps. Much faster! Since this map data (MetroGuide) isn't locked, I just put the memory card back in the old StreetPilot and the transfer is done. Minutes instead of hours.

This can also be useful if your PC only has USB ports and not the older style serial ports used on older Garmins.

Happy updating!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
DR-Bee
WTF?

Oddometer: 130
I can't get my maps to be over written with new maps. I just loads up the memory so they won't fit. So do I need a Garmin card reader to erase and start over? Garmin 276c/512 card. I want to load SW US. Everything connects fine. Can't the 276 serve as a card reader/loader/eraser?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Bee View Post
I can't get my maps to be over written with new maps. I just loads up the memory so they won't fit. So do I need a Garmin card reader to erase and start over? Garmin 276c/512 card. I want to load SW US. Everything connects fine. Can't the 276 serve as a card reader/loader/eraser?
What exactly do you own? And what are you trying to do?

For a 276 - so long as you have unlocked the maps on your PC, each time you download them to the GPS they overwrite the map data on the card.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
DR-Bee
WTF?

Oddometer: 130
Issue resolved. Seems that my Garmin Map Install software needed to be updated. Doh! as Homer would say. Basically it wasn't letting me overwrite my maps that were previously loaded onto my Garmin 512mb card. It was telling me that I didn't have any space to use because the previous maps were still sitting there. It was supposed to erase it automatically and start off fresh. Very frustrating.