User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
Givi helmets... X.01?

Hey kids, anyone have experience with Givi helmets? Never even knew they MADE helmets until I came across this sweet looking thing. Of course I think it is not available in USA, natch.

http://www.xzero1.com/indexp.html

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 02-18-2008 at 10:01 AM
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Got an email back from Givi USA and like I guessed, not sold in the USA. Bastards. Pricing is 300 pounds I think as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

This helmet still interests me. Anybody overseas got one yet? Are they even out yet? I can't find them to purchase anywhere online.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
www.givi.co.uk/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=24000

That's a pretty cool looking helmet.

Kind of reminds me of a cross between the Caberg Trip/Rhyno as far as styling and the Airoh TR1 with the removable chinbar.
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
That is a sweet looking helmet! I like the fact it's modular in the sense that you can change the configuration. Options are good.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
It wasn't entirely clear on the website. Is this helmet ECE certified as a full face or open face? They kept saying that its a full face helmet but they never came out and said that it was tested to the full face standard.

Color me skeptical. I've seen the TR-1 in person and I was not impressed with the chin bar on it.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Airoh TR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
... Color me skeptical. I've seen the TR-1 in person and I was not impressed with the chin bar on it.

The WebBikeWorld review has some interesting owner comments:

From "A.P.": "Hi there, I write from Italy and I read all of your helmet reviews. I want to tell you about the Airoh TR1, that this (helmet does not have) a homologation as a full face helmet in ECE 22.05. (It is homologated as) a "Jet" style helmet. The chin guard would only protect you from the wind and cold probably. (It's probably better to compare it to an) open face or modular flip-up helmets than a full face. Many thanks for your very professional work on reviews."

From "N.M": "... I think something important to highlight is that this is a Jet helmet. Not a full-face helmet at all. TheTR1 chin guard is actually considered an "accessory" by Airoh. This is what Airoh says about it: "Attention! The chin guard is an accessory for your Jet helmet designed to prevent insects or foreign bodies from nearing your face. For this reason, in the case of an accident, it does not guarantee protection against all types of impact..."

I was disappointed to read this, but it's not that surprising considering how the chinbar works. It's unique helmet regardless.

My thoughts are that the Givi is the same.

Why must it be so much work to figure out how the helmets are certified? How hard is it to clearly explain what types of certifications a helmet has?

Edit: Related -

Anyone has one of those yet? givi X.01 Helmet - www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323190

Lochlyn_Deckard screwed with this post 03-22-2008 at 07:52 PM
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Eh, I like this x.01 just the same. I would order a TR1 but man in the wbw report it says it doesn't have room for your ears! WTF? I'm still interested if anyone reading this happens across one overseas please post up some pics and thoughts.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Eh, I like this x.01 just the same. I would order a TR1 but man in the wbw report it says it doesn't have room for your ears! WTF? I'm still interested if anyone reading this happens across one overseas please post up some pics and thoughts.
I tried on a TR1 not long ago, the chin bar is so close to your face its like wearing a face mask. I felt like I was suffucating the whole time.

I REALLY REALLY dig the Givi helmet. My other few choices at the moment are a Caberg Trip, the new Shark Evoline or a BMW system 5, man I just cannot decide.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

Oddometer: 547
Whoa, that is a nice helmet.!!! UK website only shows this helmet not the US Website. Givi is a great company with excellent products, however there are no independent studies about US or European Safety standards on this helmet yet. (At least I could not find it)
A very distinctive look such as the Airoh's or this new Givi dont always mean that they are going to be the safest ones around.
I would probably wait till there is some concrete reliable data out there that will support the safety of this product.
The 3 best modular helmets I like are the Shoei Multitec, Nolan N102, and the Caberg Justissimo. I wear a Nolan N102 as the Multitec was just a bid out of my price range and still had excellent reviews. I'm very happy with mine.
Ones i would know that the Givi would be equally comparable in safety features i would give it the "green light" as the helmets design really looks awesome. Just my 0.02 cents....

Capotourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I emailed webbikeworld to see if they are planning a review...they are!

I went helmet fitting yesterday.

The Shoei Multitec...while other Shoeis fit me good this one simply does not. The N102...nice helmet but that stupid sun screen does not come down far enough and falls in my line of sight. I really would like to fit an N103. Arai (I think it was the Quantum) fit good but DAMN $! The Scorpions fit me good and I like my VX17 dirt lid but I kinda wanted something that is different...hence the Givi. Guess I'll be wearing my wife's Shoei for awhile longer til I can make up my mind.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Review up:

www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/givi/x-01
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,818
Seems that Givi is asking full price for a helmet with no certification (homologation). Interesting that this is not mentioned in the Webbikeworld review, it should be at the top of the list.
Helmet manufactures invest a lot of money to make sure the helmet can actually protect your head.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Seems that Givi is asking full price for a helmet with no certification (homologation). Interesting that this is not mentioned in the Webbikeworld review, it should be at the top of the list.
Helmet manufactures invest a lot of money to make sure the helmet can actually protect your head.
It says in the article that it is ECE certified.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
I really like this helmet.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote