User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
Ring of Ireland in 30 days

I have been planning on this Ring of Ireland ride now for about 2 years. As always I have a purpose for most of the things I do when it come to long trip on bike. This one is two fold, 1. Ride the Island of Ireland. 2. Research the background of my fathers parent who immigrated from Ireland in the mid to late 1800's.

So now I have a reson and a purpose, now to get into action.

The plan.
Fly from Alabama to Dublin, Ireland then take a train to Cork, then a bus to Belgooly. Get off the bus at The Huntsman Pub and call Martin to come and pick me up. Once I have the bike, I'll start my ride called the Ring of Ireland.

Just a little information which might make since of the first part of the story.
I contacted Martin Hurley of County Cork who has a business called MotoFeirme.com.
Moto Feirme

He helps tourist buy a bike in Ireland, tag it, register it and find insurance for it, and can store it when your not using it.

I bought a 1998 Honda Deauville 650 from a US rider who had just finished his trip with the help of Martin.

September 8, 2014 - First day in Ireland
This is how I ended up in Belgoody at the Huntsman Pub. And where I was to meet up with Martin and take delivery of the Deauville.

Huntsman Pub

Huntsman Pub, training chair for future Dart Champions. It's a family thing.

First Irish Meal at The Hunstman and of course washed down with a little Jameson Whiskey. End of a very good starting day. More on day two, getting the Mighty Deauville 650 and learning to ride on the other side of the road.

Sorry for being slow to start this report. I'm doing it on an iPad, and just as soon as I need a fishing weight on the end of my pole this is where this crappy thing will be attached. I learned to type with both hands and all fingers 45 years ago. Now I have had to revert back to pick and peck to type.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.

BeachGuy screwed with this post 10-05-2014 at 07:29 AM
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
thecivvie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Enjoy it. Best way to enjoy Ireland is not to rush it :)
thecivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Day 2

1998 Honda Deauville 650

One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.

BeachGuy screwed with this post 10-05-2014 at 07:32 AM
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecivvie View Post
Enjoy it. Best way to enjoy Ireland is not to rush it :)
Well I'm definitely not rushing this ride report. I've only been here 13 days, a little late on the start of this report. Blame this iPad, I hate it.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
thecivvie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
Well I'm definitely not rushing this ride report. I've only been here 13 days, a little late on the start of this report. Blame this iPad, I hate it.

Well enjoy it. I live in Connemara and cannot believe how lucky I am to be able to ride on this wonderful island. Sure I am subbed so will see the updates
thecivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
kb123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
more please

please post more. i am looking at using martin's services and doing a trip partially in ireland. give the i pad time, technology knows when you are not use to it. enjoy....
kb
kb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb123 View Post
please post more. i am looking at using martin's services and doing a trip partially in ireland. give the i pad time, technology knows when you are not use to it. enjoy....
kb
No lack of photos to post up. I just need to start doing so in an orderly fashion. If this iPad will just tolerate an old PC user then maybe I can get it done. Stay tuned it coming. Check Martin Facebook he has a couple bike back on the market.

My bike is a 650 Honda, and after 1500 miles on it now since I took delivery on it, I can say that for Ireland it's a perfect size. I have an F650 and a R1150 GSA at home. The 1150 would be to big for Ireland, I can't tell you how many times I would have dropped the 1150 when I had to stop to let buses and trucks have the right away on small/norrow road get by.

The drop off on the side of the road is pretty good in some places there is no shoulder on the small roads, right foot would be on the asphalt left foot would be looking for a place to place itself. Smaller is better in Ireland, the 650 is plenty fast for the road I've been driving. My BMW F650 would've been perfect for here just couldn't find one ($$$$$) when I was buying.

One other thing is that there are plenty of bikes for sale here just not a lot of them that are set up with side bags and a top case, makes it hard to pack if you don't have them.

I can say that without Martin's help it would have been quite difficult to find a bike by traveling around and looking at them. He's the man here in Ireland. You will save a lot of money by buying one of the bikes that he has in his storage barn that have returned from the same type of trip I'm taking and your planning.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #8
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Kinsale, Ireland

September 9, 2014 - first full day of riding.

I left Martin's place headed for Kinsale. Drove down to and around this beautiful city and headed south.

Kinsale, Ireland

A few shots leaving Kinsale.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
Great report.
Keep it coming :)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Sorry

Sorry for the double post, lost WiFi connection during first upload and the did it again, by mistake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

As I rolled out of Kinsale I headed up toward Glengarriff so that I could ride Healy Pass across Caha Mountains on the Kerry Peninsula. Had great weather and visibility. Made it to Killarney for the end of the day. Stayed at St. Anthony B&B for 35.00.

South side of Healy Pass

Watch out for these death traps, they seem to have a death wish or some unknown love affinity to motorcycles.

The Killarney B&B, very nice and clean. More food at Breakfest than anyone could eat.

The next morning I had planned on riding the Ring of Kerry on the Ivergah Peninsula, but after having passed 10 or 15 buses I realized I was behind about 30 or 40 more so I gave up, turnaround and headed for the Dingel Peninsula instead. It turned out to be a great decision. I will try to make the Ring of Kerry on my return trip to Kinsale.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Oddometer: 238
Keep it coming
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Dingle Peninsula & Abbeyfeale

Today's ride was around the Dinglel Peninsula which is absolutely beautiful, and then up through Tralee to Abbeyfield to do a little family genealogy work. I'll let the photos do the talking.

OK, now for a shameless plug of a great group of guys that work here in Abbeyfeale. I had a little ignition swicht problems right in front of this store. Not only did they loan me some tools to fix it, but they offered me hot coffee and home made pie to ease the pain. Thanks again guy, your sign says it all.

A naked Deauville, what a pain in the arse to pull the plastic to fix a 30 second problem.

All in all another great day in Ireland. More to come.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
BSW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Cead mile failte

Enjoy the trip there is plenty more to see west of the Shannon,Dont be shy to ask for assistance if need be.
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #15
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
Hey Jeff.
I was having lunch yesterday in the huntsman and the waitress was asking for you. Ironically, I go outside and see I missed a call from you. Now as I see the plastics scattered all over the road whilst you fix a small issue, I'm kind of glad I missed the call :)
Great report. Thanks for the entertainment and the exposure.

WW