User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Unsung33 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Best Alps day trip out of Munich

At the end of the month I'll be flying into Munich to rent a bike to visit some family. I have a day and a half to kill so I might as well take a day trip and see some of the Alps while I'm there. I've been to Germany a couple times before but this is my first trip with motorcycle access (woot!). I've got two questions that I'd like some community input on:
What is the best day trip I can take out of Munich to see some good parts of the Alps? I'll be leaving early on Friday morning (after picking up the rental)
and I am needing to be 2 hours north of Munich by Saturday evening.
What is the best/most fun bike to rent to ride through the Alps? As much as I want to rip down the autobahn on a BMW S1000RR I don't think I can use much of that bike on the mountain roads.

Unsung33 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 05:40 AM
Unsung33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
budsin1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
If you do get the S1000RR, something like this would be a breeze: http://goo.gl/maps/Xw1yj

But realistically, and to enjoy yourself more, I'd recommend either half of that route. Actually, do the Stelvio. Unlike the Grossglockner, it's free. They're both awesome, but Stelvio is, well, Stelvio. :)

And I'd recommend renting something you might like to own someday. If it were me I'd try out an RT or other sport tourer.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
budsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Unsung33 OP
Adventurer

Thanks Budsin. I think I should be able to do all of that. I cannot wait to get this trip started!! I really like how the route goes into Italy as I've never been to that country.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quick or scenic?
Main roads or small stuff?

Here's a bit of a mix for the 1. day.
400km is a bit long, but with an early start (possibly picking the bike up the night before to get away early) and the first 85km + last 70km on main roads to the Sterzing area, it should be ok.
Which means a front seat at a great road the next morning, too.
If the weather turns, it's an easy escape via main roads and Autobahn etc etc.

Day 1: 400k's http://goo.gl/maps/F48qx
No Stelvio (totally overrated IMHO), but a quick+clean exit from Munich towards Garmisch. Narrow roads past Linderhof Palace (one of Crazy King Ludwig's little abode's) and superscenic Plansee (Plan Lake), Namloser Valley!!, Hahntennjoch, Oetz Valley and Timmelsjoch (toll road, but who cares about a few Euros on a dash+run) into Northern Italy, Jaufen Pass and a short stretch of the old Brenner Road for the "commute to the Pichlerhof near Bruneck.

http://www.pichlerhof.info/ENGLISH/prices.html

Halfboard (B+B+ 4 course dinner) around the $US70 in a traditional style place.

http://goo.gl/maps/ONp5h
Mittersil, Zell am Ziller for the Zillertaler Hoehenstrasse (small toll),
http://www.zillertaler-hoehenstrasse.com/cms/
then a straight run north via main roads and the A8 Autobahn back to Munich.
300k's, but with an early start and ~120km of quick commuting at the end it'd be possible to make a 2-3pm return or so, to drop off the bike and organize the trip north.
Stallersattel and Zillertal Hoehenstrasse are the highlights.

Best bike? Whatever is fun and the least work on those narrow, twisty roads. Important: CAMERA!!
Personally, I'd take a light and easy 650/800 of some sort (BMW GS650/700/800....Vstrom 650...Kwak Versys 650).
Something upright to keep all those mouthwatering vistas lined up without having to lift the head all day.
As a general guide...a "normal"/ scenic ride-day in the Alps is around 250-300km !!

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures

glitch_oz screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 11:49 PM
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Personally, I'd take a light and easy 650/800 of some sort (BMW GS650/700/800....Vstrom 650...Kwak Versys 650).
Something upright to keep all those mouthwatering vistas lined up without having to lift the head all day.
As a general guide...a "normal"/ scenic ride-day in the Alps is around 250-300km !!
+1

With the exception of an occasional Autobahn blitz to make up time and/or distance, you'll be looking at an average speed of 50-55kph (note: that's Kilometers NOT Miles).

Slow speed limits through towns, and cranking up and down switchbacks keeps the velocity low. What you want (so you can enjoy the ride and scenery and not wrestle with the bike) is something nimble with good bottom-end torque. There's a reason that most of the bikes in the Alps are "Adventure Tourers"

And 300kms makes for a BUSY day - best to have a room waiting for you at the end rather than just trying to find one.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Unsung33 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm leaning towards a BMW F800GT for the torque down low (like MichaelJ said) and its small windscreen for when I'm slabbing down the autobahn. I enjoyed the Versys that I rented in Thailand, but I think I'd like to try a more local flavor for this trip.

I am shooting for more scenery with fun roads than bombing through the roads and missing the views. I've got a Sony RX100 that I plan on capturing some good images with while I"m out. This will be my first trip with it so we'll see how it holds up!

Once I get a route pounded out, I'll pick a midpoint and make a reservation there so I don't have to search in the late evening for a place to rest. Plus I plan on keeping a fairly early schedule because I don't want to waste daylight by sleeping all morning when I could be riding in the freaking Alps!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post

And 300kms makes for a BUSY day - best to have a room waiting for you at the end rather than just trying to find one.
True....but it's about 100km of "commuting" from/to Munich to get to the good stuff. Using the 'bahns it'll add an hour at least, at either end of the 2 days.
Adding the time needed for bike pick-up + drop off and navigating the Munich environs, the actual "fun-window" gets smaller and smaller.

www.AusTouring.com
Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
True....but it's about 100km of "commuting" from/to Munich to get to the good stuff. Using the 'bahns it'll add an hour at least, at either end of the 2 days.
Agree - but with the small riding window that he has, I'd rather not spend any of the time looking for a place to stay. Knowing that you have a bed for the night with your name on it whether you show up at 16:00 or 21:00 is comforting.

Of course, if you show up at 16:00, you can still check in and go back to riding
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Of course, if you show up at 16:00, you can still check in and go back to riding
Knew that was coming
Nothing, but NOTHING, beats that 2hr. "local-discoveries"-window at the end of the day.

www.AusTouring.com