Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
zelig OP
black 'tard heroine

Oddometer: 14
Question What bike for Bristol, UK? (currently have two in USA)

A surprising opportunity to uproot and relocate has presented itself, and I'm wondering what to do about motorcycling. Do I take one (hmm) or both (ha!) of my bikes, or exchange them toward something else? To wit:
2005 Suzuki DRZ-SM (21k mi, performance mods, loud pipe, much sentimental value)
2007 Suzuki GSF1250S (21k mi, hard bags, tall screen, hand guards, sort of an appliance, but a very useful tool)

The SM is glorious around town, but maybe not something to trip on. The GSF is the opposite. (Actually, both have around 200mi range as the SM has a big tank.) I assume the logical answer is sell the SM, since the GSF would enable touring and the SM would get me into trouble.

If I'm down to one bike, I wonder if I should find something between these two... 650 (Versys, SV/VS, etc.) to 900 (um, TDM?) Presumably the sensible move would be to sell both and pool the funds for a replacement. (Maybe something shaftie, what with all the rain.) But I wonder about shipping the GSF and riding it for a while to decide. Would it be worth anything for a trade?

I've already found a couple of threads about the technical process (SVA, VAT, etc.), but additional comments or help there are certainly welcome.
zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
TarTripper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Bristol is a great location for biking. Just across the bridges you have the whole of Wales to play in. Good tarmac, not too much traffic lots of hills and twisties.

Just as close are the Cotswolds. Picturebook limestone villages with good roads between.

Go south and you can do the Devon amd Cornwall coasts. Too crowded in high summer but great at other times.

2 hrs from Bristol gets you to direct ferries to France and Spain.

For maximum fun you probably need a sports tourer. UK roads are too busy and too policed to enjoy the full potential of sports bikes.

ABS is a really really good thing to have when you encounter one of our many cage idiots in the rain.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 712
Fit some dirt wheels to your DRZ and I'll take you out to play on local trails, if not you can have just as much fun on the 'back' roads
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
zelig OP
black 'tard heroine

Nice of you to offer, bob -- I may have to take you up on that!

Neither bike has ABS, though. Could get hairy on the damp roads I suppose.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
TarTripper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Yep, plus the large cowpat in the middle of the blind bend, with deep hedgerows on either side and just before the long trail of mud left by the tractor that's doing 5 mph just a bit further round the same bend!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarTripper View Post
Yep, plus the large cowpat in the middle of the blind bend, with deep hedgerows on either side and just before the long trail of mud left by the tractor that's doing 5 mph just a bit further round the same bend!
You ride the same roads as me then
Old 06-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelig View Post

What's ABS
Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
jack union
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg View Post
What's ABS
HAHA wot he said :)

You clearly need to go bike shopping :) super moto will have you sorted for round town / commuting. if you want to get out and explore Wales - any weapon of choice will do as long as its leggy - the best roads are further north and need a bit of m-way to get you there. Personally i'd say 750 naked or sport minimum.

Boboneleg... just got myself an xt600e and wanna find some lanes. I'm not particularly exp. so just lookin for a pootle rather than a thrash. Let me know if it suits ya :)

Im based just NE near dursley
jack union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
jack union
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Sorry Zelig - to be helpful rather than just sort myself with a ride buddy, I lived in NC, got myself a Vstrom and shipped it back. By the time I had to mod it to make it road legal and faff around with the transport agency etc I would have been better off just selling and buying new. It was only the fact my company paid for shipping that it made it worthwhile (I sneaked it in the container :). If I was funding it myself I would have been p*ssing money up the wall.

Don't worry about shaft to deal with rain - loads of chains out here... like most things in life just lube well and nothing gets hurt
jack union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
westy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
if you get yourself a dirtbike those very nice men in the british army have a training area called salisbury plain you can play on not far away
westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
zelig OP
black 'tard heroine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack union View Post
...I lived in NC, got myself a Vstrom and shipped it back. By the time I had to mod it to make it road legal and faff around with the transport agency etc I would have been better off just selling and buying new. It was only the fact my company paid for shipping that it made it worthwhile (I sneaked it in the container :). If I was funding it myself I would have been p*ssing money up the wall.
Now this concerns me. I have reflectors, and I verified my beam pattern is flat (no LHD bias on the beam dip)... what all did they require of you?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack union View Post
HAHA wot he said :)

You clearly need to go bike shopping :) super moto will have you sorted for round town / commuting. if you want to get out and explore Wales - any weapon of choice will do as long as its leggy - the best roads are further north and need a bit of m-way to get you there. Personally i'd say 750 naked or sport minimum.

Boboneleg... just got myself an xt600e and wanna find some lanes. I'm not particularly exp. so just lookin for a pootle rather than a thrash. Let me know if it suits ya :)

Im based just NE near dursley
The Fosseway would be a good start for you.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Herman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Both those bikes are available here if you really dont want to change and are not expensive, relatively. Or sell them and buy a 990 adv or smt?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Zelig, both bikes would be fine over here - they're both popular and you're never far from a dealer.
I think your biggest question is whether it's worth the expense and hassle to import them. You could just as easily sell them and buy the same again over here....
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote