User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
seanvanaman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question about buying a Ducati GT1000

I'm getting ready to buy a Ducati GT1000 from an acquaintance, sole owner, well maintained, perfect condition, termignoni exhaust, and it has 18'000 miles on it.

I'm familiar with the Ducati service intervals, etc. etc. but I'm hoping to have this bike for a long time, go on lots of trips, etc.

Given it's 8 year's old (and the mileage isn't super high) I started to think how long the life of this bike COULD actually be. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will I be riding this thing in another eight years (in terms of its mechanical health)?

Alternatively I've demo'd a new Duc (the Hyperstrada) which was incredible, but I'd like to stay with something classic and feel like it's a good opportunity to own a small piece of Ducati history.
seanvanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
There is more threads about this bike on the forum.
I like this bike too, but they suffered from some tank issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanvanaman View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a Ducati GT1000 from an acquaintance, sole owner, well maintained, perfect condition, termignoni exhaust, and it has 18'000 miles on it.

I'm familiar with the Ducati service intervals, etc. etc. but I'm hoping to have this bike for a long time, go on lots of trips, etc.

Given it's 8 year's old (and the mileage isn't super high) I started to think how long the life of this bike COULD actually be. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will I be riding this thing in another eight years (in terms of its mechanical health)?

Alternatively I've demo'd a new Duc (the Hyperstrada) which was incredible, but I'd like to stay with something classic and feel like it's a good opportunity to own a small piece of Ducati history.
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 714
It will run for as long as you keep spending the time and money to keep it running. My main concern would be the plastic tank but there is an alloy tank available to solve that if it's worth it to you.

My 750 is 40+ years old now. Still running (after a complete rebuild a few years back).

Early 90s fuel injected Ducatis are still running 20+ years later. My 996 is 15 years old and still running fine. Well, I lied A relay went bad last fall but aside from that...

And finally my '66 starts first kick the vast majority of the time.

Basically I see no reason to think a Sport Classic has a shelf life of less than 20 years _IF_ you are committed to keeping it running.

BTW if'n it were me I'd spring for the alloy tank...

DesmoDog screwed with this post 04-29-2015 at 05:57 PM
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post

BTW if'n it were me I'd spring for the alloy tank...
http://motowheels.com/i-10302482-duc...inum-tank.html

Nice, but $$$
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,033
It will probably fall apart tomorrow.
Give me your friend's number so I can have him sell it to someone he's never met
Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
The GT1000 is a great bike. I owned one from 2008-12. It's a beautiful bike, that's fun to ride. Valve adjustments are a 15K interval which is a let better than the 7,500 for previous Ducs.

Obviously, the issue is the tank. It's not a fatal flaw, but do your homework. There's a ton of information on this site and the Duc forums.

My GT1000 was loaded, and I added the Ducati side bags which looked great. Downside now is that accessories are becoming more difficult to find. But, if you're committed, this is a bike that you can own for a lifetime.

The Termi exhaust is great. But, I would also look at upgrading the suspension. The engine is bulletproof.

Be prepared for people to stop and ask you about the bike. Good luck!
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
seanvanaman OP
n00b

Awesome replies, thank you so much.

I'm new here and needed a little nudge
Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #8
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
Ducati seem to be more problematic if you don't ride them much.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
dbublitz
Bubs

Oddometer: 15
Great bikes, I have a hard time listening to the naysayers who have probably never owned a Ducati. The 1000ds is an anvil for the air-cooled Ducs and the looks alone are why they continue to appreciate in price and desirability. A great chance to own a bike that many of us wish we would not have passed by when initially released.
dbublitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Steele View Post
Valve adjustments are a 15K interval which is a let better than the 7,500 for previous Ducs.
Recommended valvle check/adjustment intervals are definitely 7,500 miles for the Sport Classic line (1000DS engine), though I wouldn't let that bother me for two reasons.

1. Many people, like Morgan Steele, after the 7500 mile mark will increase their intervals to any where from 10,000 - 15,000. Usually after around 5,000-8,000 miles, you'll see very little movement in the valves. Though, many stick to the 7,500 interval because...

2. the valves are dead simple to service. As are the belts. Don't let the Italian name fool you; the Sport Classic line is one of Ducati's last owner-friendly bikes.

I've had the Sport 1000s version for years and nearly 50,000 miles. Lovely bike if you don't mind a lot of questions at gas stations.

Aside from the tank, which has been mentioned, my only gripe with the GT is the steel wheels. Replace those, and you'll have spirited little twin.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I like the Gt1000s. Only issue I have with them is that they are stupidly expensive for what they are. They cost as much now as they were new. Why not buy a Monster 1000 and save yourself about 3-4k$? Same motor and IMO cooler.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:38 AM   #12
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
I like the Gt1000s. Only issue I have with them is that they are stupidly expensive for what they are. They cost as much now as they were new. Why not buy a Monster 1000 and save yourself about 3-4k$? Same motor and IMO cooler.

A bike that is worth as much now as it was new is going to be worth DOUBLE what it was new in 10 years time, minimum. Buy it now and take good care of it and you'll have one valuable machine down the road
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
seanvanaman OP
n00b

I did it boys!

(Ended up swapping out the Termi exhaust with stock; go on a lot of rides with the girlfriend and like to chat with her; also just didn't want to be the obnoxious neighbor with the loud Ducati)

seanvanaman screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 06:10 PM
Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #14
wmfleet2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Good for you ,,enjoy it ,ride it ,,I have a 1998 900 monster that now has 83,500 miles on it ,and i run the snot out of it ,,run the valves 10 to 15000 miles ,one voltage reg,,,,you have a wet clutch i think ,so no worries there
wmfleet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 AM   #15
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanvanaman View Post
I did it boys!

(Ended up swapping out the Termi exhaust with stock; go on a lot of rides with the girlfriend and like to chat with her; also just didn't want to be the obnoxious neighbor with the loud Ducati)
Congratulations! I've never actually seen one of these but always drool over the pictures. Speaking of, how about another picture or two when you get the chance, please?!

Sarah