Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,083
2006 Triumph 675 Anything I should know?

I'm looking at one of these for a dedicated track bike. Found one locally with 3K miles, all prepped for track use (race body, etc) for cheap. It's already had the stator replaced under warranty. Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Just keep the battery charged up, the 675 doesn't like the voltage getting too low. My wife has had a 2006 since new, and that's been the only issue if it isn't ridden often enough.

I upgraded the R/R just before the recall came out, and it hasn't changed that situation.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.

Florida Lime screwed with this post 10-02-2014 at 07:30 PM
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Jmoges
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
R/R recall is usually the biggest issue but an easy fix and an easy check. http://www.triumph675.net/forum is a good resource. There was a dipstick issue with some of the bikes (being too long or the wrong one something like that). Generally minimal issues with them. My '07 has ~24k miles on it, 13k are mine and no issues. Mine does double duty street and track.
Jmoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Thanks.

Do the 06 models have a slipper clutch as OEM? I'm guessing not.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Jmoges
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nope, I think only the newer (2013-2014) 675R models come with slippers. There are aftermarket options if you want to upgrade
Jmoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I had an 08. I remember some people having problems with the self adjusting cam chain tensioner. I recall there being a manually adjustable one being recommended. The only problem I ever had in 14000 miles was the exhaust flapper valve sticking.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
I had an 08. I remember some people having problems with the self adjusting cam chain tensioner. I recall there being a manually adjustable one being recommended. The only problem I ever had in 14000 miles was the exhaust flapper valve sticking.
Thanks. I looked at this one today. It's got a race body, full exhaust (no exup), has had the fuel pump relays done, Stator and reg/rectifier and has a lot of goodies on it. GP shift, which was interesting when I tried it out.... Huge difference in power from my S1000RR, but that's what I'm looking for at this point. I'll make an offer this weekend and pick it up so that I can do a track day on it next weekend.

Thanks for the help

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Be careful with oil level. The first year or two, the factory recommended oil level was too low and a few bikes suffered engine damage for it, usually to the connecting rods if I remember right. I don't remember if Triumph changed the actual oil capacity, but they did recommend a higher fill level and issued a dipstick with a raised fill mark on the later models.

A couple of years ago I just missed picking up an otherwise-pristine '06 Daytona from Craig's List for $1,200 because it had this problem. (I figured if the engine was un-repairable I could part the bike out and recover the money, and if it was fixable, hey! Cheap Daytona!)
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Rider View Post
Be careful with oil level. The first year or two, the factory recommended oil level was too low and a few bikes suffered engine damage for it, usually to the connecting rods if I remember right. I don't remember if Triumph changed the actual oil capacity, but they did recommend a higher fill level and issued a dipstick with a raised fill mark on the later models.

A couple of years ago I just missed picking up an otherwise-pristine '06 Daytona from Craig's List for $1,200 because it had this problem. (I figured if the engine was un-repairable I could part the bike out and recover the money, and if it was fixable, hey! Cheap Daytona!)
Thanks. I hadn't heard about that one.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Thanks. I hadn't heard about that one.
Actually, the owner's manual was printed incorrectly. My wife had one of the first 2006 675s, and the manual already had a one page correction regarding oil level, to be placed over the original.
If someone didn't bother to do that, and followed the original directions, I could see an issue.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote