User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
the shoe OP
I need more Coffee!!

Oddometer: 110
Which and Why? Concours vs FJR

I've come to ADVrider in the past for info / opinions and you FF's have always given me great feedback , so tell me, which would you pick and why?

I'm looking at two bikes locally, a 2007 FJR w/ 47k and a 2010 Concours 14 w/ 56k.

The FJR is $6500 and the Kawi is $8500.

The FJR has been tipped over in a driveway (really not too bad).

The Concours is Pretty much perfect (needs a wax job to be flawless).

I fit great on both bikes and I'm sure they will both have enough scoot for me . I like the look of them both with a little lean towards to Kawi personally.

So, do you think the difference in technology, newness and quality of the bikes is worth and extra $2k?? At this price range that's 20-30%!!

I know that '07 was a good year for the FRJ due to the improvements and from what I've heard the 2010 is also an updated Concours.

Lastly, what are your opinions on mileage? Both bikes are at dealerships so I can't get maintenance history but they both look to be in good mechanical condition. I hear the FJR has the high mileage reputation but what about the Concours?

The FJR shows more signs of weeping around the shaft at the motor but I think it really just wasn't properly cleaned... it has lots more road grime in the nooks and crannys all over and was owned by an elderly man who sold becuase he could no longer keep it up ... the bike I mean LOL. Hence the tipover. Due to his age I can't image he had one F%*k to give about how clean his bike was .

So, million dollar question... Which would you buy with your hard earned $$?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Both are fine bikes. I think you should go with your gut instinct, you know you have chosen already, and are looking for confirmation at this point.
If you did go with the FJR, you'd have $2,000 in farkling money to play with to make it your own!

Best of luck either way.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,849
Does the Kawi require premium fuel? If so, that would be enough for me not to buy it.

Take the FJR home and spend the morning cleaning like you're making love to it, then go for a ride once its all shiny. You'll forget about Connie.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,246
Valve checks on the FJR are every 26K miles, and access is fairly easy, lift the fuel tank which is hinged at the back. Runs on regular fuel.

C14: Valve checks are at 15K and it's a big job to get at the top of the engine, you gotta remove a lot of tupperware and the radiator.

Price wise, the FJR is a better value.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
full of days
Simplify or Die

Oddometer: 202
I had the exact same decision to make 2 weeks ago. I chose the 2010Connie over a 2007 FJR for obvious reasons. there is a reason why the Connie was chosen as bike of the year in 2008-2009. I am very pleased with the Connie. It is Loaded with all the options and is all day comfortable for touring and the motor is fantastic. Wife is comfy. I am very happy with my decision.
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shoe View Post
I've come to ADVrider in the past for info / opinions and you FF's have always given me great feedback , so tell me, which would you pick and why?

I'm looking at two bikes locally, a 2007 FJR w/ 47k and a 2010 Concours 14 w/ 56k.

The FJR is $6500 and the Kawi is $8500.

The FJR has been tipped over in a driveway (really not too bad).

The Concours is Pretty much perfect (needs a wax job to be flawless).

I fit great on both bikes and I'm sure they will both have enough scoot for me . I like the look of them both with a little lean towards to Kawi personally.

So, do you think the difference in technology, newness and quality of the bikes is worth and extra $2k?? At this price range that's 20-30%!!

I know that '07 was a good year for the FRJ due to the improvements and from what I've heard the 2010 is also an updated Concours.

Lastly, what are your opinions on mileage? Both bikes are at dealerships so I can't get maintenance history but they both look to be in good mechanical condition. I hear the FJR has the high mileage reputation but what about the Concours?

The FJR shows more signs of weeping around the shaft at the motor but I think it really just wasn't properly cleaned... it has lots more road grime in the nooks and crannys all over and was owned by an elderly man who sold becuase he could no longer keep it up ... the bike I mean LOL. Hence the tipover. Due to his age I can't image he had one F%*k to give about how clean his bike was .

So, million dollar question... Which would you buy with your hard earned $$?
^THIS^
When I bought mah FJR, they wuz cheaper than the Kawi, go farther on a tank of fuel, have the longer valve check intervals, (And the valve checks are easier.) 'n do all this on regular gas. The glossy magazines liked the whiz, wow, fob key, and newer technologies of the Kawi 'n K13GT, but the overall package and value of the FJR can't be beat.
I dun put 60K hard miles on mine in the last 3 years, (Mostly goat trails 'n dirt! ) and enjoy the bike mor every time I ride it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Valve checks on the FJR are every 26K miles, and access is fairly easy, lift the fuel tank which is hinged at the back. Runs on regular fuel.

C14: Valve checks are at 15K and it's a big job to get at the top of the engine, you gotta remove a lot of tupperware and the radiator.

Price wise, the FJR is a better value.
'N ^THIS^
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
TCAdventure
Sport Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
I have both bikes. If you're looking for value you should buy the FJR. If you're looking for more sport the Connie is the one. That said, I find the FJR easier to ride. Not as finicky about gear selection. The Connie is a bit flat if you come out of a curve a gear high. Not so the FJR. Splitting hairs if you're primarily going to just ride slab. FWIW prices seem a bit high on both bikes. That said, can't go wrong with either bike. Buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face when you're in the saddle and makes you want to look back at it when you are walking away.

2003 WR450F (plated), 2009 DR650,
2012 Super Tenere, 2012 Concours C14

TCAdventure screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 04:37 AM
TCAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
I had the exact same decision to make 2 weeks ago. I chose the 2010Connie over a 2007 FJR for obvious reasons. I am very happy with my decision.
What are those reasons?

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
full of days
Simplify or Die

Oddometer: 202
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/161/49...irst-Ride.aspx

And

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2009/...010concours14/
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
They are both at dealers, go test ride them. Out of these 2 options I'd buy the FJR.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
I've got a 2012 Connie. My buddy has a Gen 1 FJR.

I think the FJR hides it's weight better, plus has better range per tank.

Connie has alot more bells and whistles, but alot of it just fluff. ABS and maybe the TC system are only features worth anything. Everything else, especially the KiPass, I could easily not miss.

Both are quite easy to maintain and don't require a whole lot.

FJR is pretty much the gold-standard in sport-touring reliability, performance and comfort. Connie is right there too, but you never forget how much it weights...stopped, slow or fast.

If your a shorter rider, I think the FJR is a better fit.

Both, you may have to do some bolt-ons to make the ergo's better for your body/riding style.

You gotta sit on both to make a determination.

Either way, your gonna get a solid bike, provided the PO took care of them.

I would work on that Connie price, if you get it down sub-8K, you did good.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
I bought a NOS '09 FJR1300 AE last June, and looked at the Connie, too.

I'm 5'6", and the FJR fits me better. It's a lighter bike with a lower CoG, and most people think its more towards the sport side of the sports tourer continuum. Mine rides great and handles well with the factory suspension, and it's very fast. The FJR has more range on a tank of gas, runs on regular, has longer major maintenance issues, and has a reputation for long term reliability.

As others have remarked, $2k buys a lot of farkles. I spent $700 on a CalSci medium windscreen, a Rick Mayer custom custom saddle, a Techmount GPS stem mount, and a Go Cruise throttle lock. Multi-day road trips, on the slab or through the twisties, is painlessly perfect.

One issue with the '07s is the rapid off idle throttle response, which is easily cured by installing an '08 throttle tube. Since you're at the dealer, make sure all factory recalls and updates are applied, free to you, and you'll be good to go.

I love my FJR... can't wait to ride it back from Whistler BC to Seattle tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
I stayed away from the early FJR due to all the internet whining I heard about heat, I already had the worst heat machine on earth, Buell XB12X.

Got a chance to ride a buddies Connie, 138 mph later I decided I don't need that thing either.

TC would be a nice option, wish my 'wing had it...get a little nervous in a downpour when I reset the cruise after a slowdown.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Don't forget about all that tech the C14 relies on just to start up in the morning.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
smoker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Also had both...

Here's a compare I wrote back in 2010 soon after I purchased my 05 FJR. I hope this helps and good luck on your decision.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I've only had the FJR for a week, so this is not a long term comparo. I have put 1,200 miles on it, and did a little of everything I had done in 21K miles on the Concours, so I think I can give a fair representation of both.

Both bikes I owned in stock form as far as performance, and both had almost the exact same farkles on them; top box, PR2's, bar risers, and aftermarket seat; I know pipes and maps change the performance, so this is a good base line comparison. For reference, I'm 5'9", 170 lbs, my wife is 5'7", 115 lbs.

Engine and transmission:

Concours- despite having more displacement, the engine (in stock form) felt a little neutered. While smooth and powerful, with 2 people and 3 weeks worth of luggage, I felt like I had to keep the rpm's up in the mountains or when passing. No big deal, once over 6K rpm's this bike is a missile,no matter what was on it. The transmission on the Connie was the smoothest shifting I've ever had. No missed shifts, no false neutrals, great trans.

FJR- while very similar in power, it seemed to be the opposite of the Concours, the power was there in the lower rpm's, but dropped off above 8K or so. I really enjoy having the power down there where I live most of the time. More weight (passenger) seems to affect the power more than on the Concours. No 5th gear? Really Yamaha? Shifting is a little more"clunky" on the FJR. Upside to no 6th gear, no downshifting to pass. The shaft jacking is noticable, but not annoying.

Suspension and brakes:

Concours- with both my wife and I being smaller in stature, the suspension on the Concours was fine, even with all the luggage for our 3 week trip we took last year. Lots of adjustibility on both front and rear was nice to have, though I never messed with it much other than cranking up preload. It was a nice blend of comfort on the interstate and handling in the mountains. I think I was faster on the Concours, but that may be due to my familiarity with the bike, not that the suspenders are better per say. The abs brakes on the big Connie are fantastic, I never felt any fade, and very little front end dive under hard braking. Having abs in inclement weather is a nice added feeling of security as well.

FJR- I haven't had a lot of time to mess with the suspension on the Yamaha, but some initial impressions are that they're not quite as good as the Concours, a bit smoother on the highway, but when the road gets twisty it takes a little more effort to ride it fast. Maybe I just need to work on the adjustment some more, if that doesn't help, I may spring for a Penske down the road. I was surprised how quickly it touched the pegs, especially with a passenger, I felt like I had more lean angle on the Concours. I have the non-abs model FJR, so it's not really fair to compare to the Kawi, but the feel is pretty close to the same, just a little more front end dive. Again, might be that I just need to mess with the adjustments some more.

Rider and passenger accomodations:

Concours- the stock windscreen absolutely sucked. I have less buffeting on my Tiger. I added a V-stream, which was a vast improvement over stock. The riding position was with a slight forward lean, which feels natural to me. Gave me good feedback from the front. The pegs were a little high for the "touring" aspect of the bike, but the height came in handy when I had it at the edges of the tires. Seat height was a bit high for my 32" inseam, and that became a factor when we were 2 up and fully loaded. The Concours is more roomy than the FJR, which isn't a huge deal for two smaller people, but I can see the advantages of that with two larger people. The only complaint I had from Andrea on the Concours was that her knees started to bother her after 2 straight weeks of solid riding. She wasn't getting knocked around by the wind (with the V-stream), and she was just high enough to see over my head to see what was coming.

FJR- wind management is super on the Yamaha. The stock screen is a winner. The riding position is leaned forward moreso than the Concours, and that combined with the smaller physical dimensions of the bike makes it feel more sporty than the Kawi. And with about 30 lbs less weight and a lower seat height makes it much easier to handle at parking lot speeds. Andrea says the FJR is a little more cramped, but that makes her feel more secure, therefore more confident and comfortable.

So to sum it all up, I wouldn't necessarily pick one bike over another. They're both great bikes for the intended purpose. If I was forced to choose though, I would pick the FJR, only because it fits ME better than the Concours. They both are superb 2 up sport-touring motorcycles, if I did all my riding alone, I wouldn't need quite a large bike, but I happen to have a riding wife, and keeping her happy is job #1. So for what it's worth, there's my opinion of the two finest sport-touring machines available today.
smoker2 is offline   Reply With Quote