User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Fredicchino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Triumph Tiger 800 Vs Triumph Sprint GT

Yeah, this comparison may seem strange, but I'd like to think that not so much actually.
Both bikes are good road tourers, are not compared to each other usually but I'd like to have the opinion of experienced members here, even though being an ADV forum, it may be biased towards the Tiger. It can be interesting to compare what is not normally compared, even though those 2 bikes can do the same job, and do it well.

Why those 2 models only : I love Triumph, love the triple engine. 'nuff said.

My use :
- touring on asphalt 100% of the time
- mainly on back roads, seldom highways
- 70/30 solo/duo
- comfort/position for long distance touring for both rider & pillion
- a bit of "spirited riding" possible when solo
- ease of use (rear suspension settings, panniers and top case removal every day, etc.)

I know about the current stalling issue of the Sprint GT, but please let's keep that out of the comparison if possible for now.

Ok, let's hear it !
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
How long inseam you have?

--
Mikko
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Fredicchino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
How long inseam you have?

--
Mikko
33" or 84cm
I already looked a bit on http://cycle-ergo.com/ to check the ergonomics, both are easily rated as "comfortable" in my book.
But I'm interested to hear the thoughts or comments of the inmates who know or ride those bikes.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,415
Tiger
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,509
You said "mainly backroads" but if you prefer fast sweeper backroads, I'd probably go Sprint - if you prefer tight twisties, I'd go Tiger. Anyways, I've always been a fan of "it's more fun riding a slower bike fast, than a faster bike slow."
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
do you want the power? Go with the Sprint

Do you want more upright seating? Go with the Tiger. The Sprint riding position is significantly more agressive than the Tiger.

Passenger? Per the missus, as long as you have a backrest there is not much difference.

Luggage size and ease of use it about the same.
Yankee Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredicchino View Post
Yeah, this comparison may seem strange, but I'd like to think that not so much actually.
Both bikes are good road tourers, are not compared to each other usually but I'd like to have the opinion of experienced members here, even though being an ADV forum, it may be biased towards the Tiger. It can be interesting to compare what is not normally compared, even though those 2 bikes can do the same job, and do it well.

Why those 2 models only : I love Triumph, love the triple engine.
Ok, let's hear it !
I was pondering the same question last night.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I'd go with the Sprint GT, in fact I AM going with the GT. Triumph's entire line-up is impressive, and to be honest, I want one of each! Once we buy my wife her new car in the next few days, I'm running down to my dealer and dropping a deposit on a 2011 Sprint GT.
I'm pretty much looking for the same use as you. It's a tough pick, because they aren't close enough to say one is better than the other, but they both can do the same jobs. I pick the Sprint, because I'm lacking a sportbike right now, and at the core of my riding soul, is a sport tourer(with a heavy lean on the sport). 200cc's of extra power, physically bigger, and sport geometry.

But there really is no wrong pick here, either bike will make you happy.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Ride1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I test rode the Tiger and bought the GT. On really tight bumpy back roads the Tiger might be better. Everywhere else the Sprint wins hands down for me. The suspension is about perfect for sport touring, very plush but controlled. I am 6'3" and don't have any leg room issues. The handle bar position puts me in a very slight forward lean which I prefer to the more upright position on the Tiger. The Sprint is too heavy to be considered a sport bike and will show its weight if you start to push it to hard. I would love to have a Tiger XC for running around on dirt roads, but for now the wife's Street Triple 675R will have to do when I want to ride something different. I only have a little over 2000 miles on the Sprint but have had zero issues with stalling.
Ride1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
I'll go against the grain here and say that I would prefer the Tiger Roadie, not the XC, over the Sprint. I'm 6' 3" and about 235 lbs, and I test rode them both at a triumph open house a few months back (as well as a Bonneville.) I felt really locked in to one position on the Sprint. It wasn't a bad position, but it didn't feel like i could slide forward or back on longer rides, and the Sprint didn't feel like a super light bike that you could pitch around all you wanted.

I liked the position of the tiger a lot.

And who needs to go that fast? I twisted the throttle on the Sprint in 2nd or 3rd and was going 90 before I blinked. And it was damn smooth, too. I would lose my license in a heart beat with that thing. Keep in mind that I happily ride my K75 with my wife on the back and I never feel wanting for more power (ok, maybe just a tiny bit, like what a tiger 800 would have)

KungPaoDog screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 10:45 AM
KungPaoDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

A note on leg room, my only long term concern with the Sprint- The room around the foot peg brackets, and linkage rods to M/C and trans look like they would easily allow for a drop bracket to bring them down an inch without complication. A man with a mill could probably make a set up in a few hours.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,890
I almost bought an ST a few months ago.

I was lucky enough to know a fella with one who would let me take it on an extended test ride.

Steering input took a LOT. I mean way more than any other bike I had railed on.

I wanted a stoopit quick street machine/ commuter.

I ended up with an FZ1.

Out of your two choices I would take the Tiger.
Yes, I have spent some time in the saddle of one of these.

Its fast....as fast as a 990/950.
Its comfie.
It will rail in the tight stuff
You can add luggage

you can do 100mph in the big sweepers very easy.

Its a Triple for god sake

Tiger
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

ST and GT are different bikes. I don't know the steering geometry of the ST, but if it took a lot of steering effort I would guess way different than the GT's 23.5 rake/3.3 inch trail. The GT geometry is very similar to my ZX, and steering effort on that is very minimal.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
joef
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
If you are staying on black top and are touring, GT if you intend to do dirt/gravel or the road less traveled, Tiger
joef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Fredicchino OP
Adventurer

Well well well...
As expected, it'll be a tough choice...

As we all know, a decision to purchase a bike over another is often more subjective (feeling, emotions, passion, etc.) than objective, and those 2 bikes can do the same job very well.
Aesthetically, the Sprint GT does it for me (especially with a new color available in 2012 : black !), the Tiger not so much... But I'm not a big fan of the weight of the Sprint.

Thanks for the comments, especially for those who rode both (Ride1st for example), I'll take more !!