Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #31
LadyDraco OP
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,477
Well My Avon up front $ 140 ... The Good-Year Triple will run $ 99-125 Depends on where ya get it...
My mate use to be a dark-side rider... He rode it for 3 yrs... And was getting around 30k ... He rides two wheels...
His only bitch was slow speed handling... He said any little crack in the road
would pitch the bike in any direction.. He said you would get use to it ... But it's amazing what one can get use to over time...

He warns it's not for everyone...
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #32
JV
What?

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
JV and lady draco,can you run a triple tread like the one on thread #17 with a stock rim.i was really impressed when you said you had 27.5K on that tire,JV.how much further will it go before it needs replacement?ive found about the only drawback to the VALK are front and rear tire prices.i think my last DUNLOP was $200 front and $220 rear.im currently running a DUNLOP ELITE 3 on my rear.why did you go to such a huge rear tire?i can understand it on youre 3 wheeler lady draco because of the weight on the 2 rear wheels.but JV how is the handling on youre 2 wheeled valk?is it difficult to handle when not running on the expressway?who makes that triple tread and how much do they cost?thank you.
It will go at least another 3000 before I would pull it off. You still need to pull the wheel for spline maintenance every 8000 to 12000 miles. Yes rims are stock. Goodyear 205-60-16. I just thought I'd try it at least once and haven't really deemed it imposible to ride. It does take some counter steering to stay locked in the turns but becomes second nature after a few miles. I ride lot of the two lane roads here in the Ozarks and have had no trouble with riiding the tire in the twisties. I put that tire on end of May 04. Cost me $127 out the door. They had just hit the market and I thought it was worth a try. It has a little more of a rounded profile than some guys were using and I was concerned about the using a really squared off edged tire. You have to play around with pressurre to get it right for your weight. I run 38 psi and that works best for two up and basically leave it there when it's just me also. I started out at 42 and was getting too much center wear so I started adusting down from there.
The Avons on the rear weren't lasting 12000 with severe cupping and wear. Front Avons were going 19000. I've got the Dunlop E3 on the front right now but it's sluggish compared to the Avon. Avon is going back on the front when the E3 is done.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #33
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
*waves hi*

Longtime user of the board, used to have a GL1800, then a R1150GS then an R1200GS. Got off the beemers as the bad knee didn't like swinging over the thing, but didn't want to stop riding... so I picked up a used Valk for a song. Absolutely lovin' it so far!

If there's a good Valk crowd lurking here at ADVRider, it'll give me more reason to stick around these parts yet longer. :)

Now I just gotta figure out what're the best tires to put on this thing. Not ready to go darkside yet... any recommendations?
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #34
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
5 years on my valk in july

tugrik,i agree with you one of the best features of my 97 valk is the low seat height.ive had it for 54K and 5 years this july.its a great bike and im definately not ready to part with it for a new ride.i used to run D206 dunlops but switched to a DUNLOP elite 3 on my rear.soon as the front wears out im going with an elite 3 there also.nice color on youre bike.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #35
LadyDraco OP
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,477
Valkers !!!!

My mate and I like the Avon's Venom R.... Avon just came out with a new tire for the Valk called Cobras.....
IMHO the dunnies 206 stink...

Yes the Darkside isn't for everyone....

Now the VRCC .(Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club). Can answer all your questions ..
We all just about use Syn Oil...
The rear wheel splines should be lubed with a good moligrease (belray) every 10k miles...

I have put 105 k on my valk in 5 yrs... The first major thing that went bad on this bike was the clutch blew at 122k...
The damper plate is the weak link in the Valk clutches... But that many miles , not to bad ...
I posted a story on that in the Garage site here.... Look it up...
And 10k on my spare valk in a year...
Our bikes are primary vehicles...

Don't ya just love the power !!!!

Hey we have our Nat. Rally In JohnsonCity, Tn.. July 30-Aug 3....
Check it out on the vrcc bbs....

Enjoy your Valks ... I'll post a few ride reports...

Tracy

LadyDraco screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 08:55 AM
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #36
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
My rides

I have had (as most of you) many bikes throughout my life.

I now own 3.

One 1981 Yamaha 650cc Special II in need of my time to restore. A '99 Valkyrie Standard, and a '02 BMW R1150GS Adventure

My favorite still is my '02 BMW R1150GS Adventure. It is such an awesome bike in almost every situation.

We rode the Valk to Dust to Dawson ride last summer (2 up) and shortly after my bride decided I would sell it. I reluctantly agreed. Well right after, I left for a 2 month ride on my BMW around America. When I returned she was still solidly in the SELL the Valk belief. Luckily winter arrived, and stayed and stayed (as it does in Alaska). It took me a couple of months to figure out, exactly how I was going to keep the Valk. Then it hit me, I want it, she doesn't! Like a winning lottery ticket I was almost dancing around, I want it, she doesn't! Yes that is the answer! So in my Dennis the menace moment, I removed her seat, the passenger pegs, the back rest, the rear rack and polished the rear fender. It looks awesome. Then I realized I had to address the opposing viewpoint. She took it well, and asked "but,,what if I want to ride it?" I answered it will be much less comfortable than it was before so maybe we should keep the BMW as well, OK? It worked perfectly!
Now I am back again in the positive position with my sweet Valk and my awesome BMW. And so far my bride is in support. What a perfect person to live with, gotta love her.

As I type this it is snowing hard. Maybe I will be able to ride soon, but as it looks now I wonder.........

Gusgus screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 02:05 PM Reason: Forgot which year Valkyrie I actually Own
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

I miss my R1150GS-ADV. I truly do. I was a total retard for selling it. The oversized custom seat fit my butt perfectly. With the right risers, the handlebars were just right. The frame carried my weight without complaint. I could get on it in the morning, ride 1000 miles and get off of it in the evening no worse than when the day started. It wasn't just cozy, either -- it was nimble! Even with me on it! I took that damn bike everywhere. Hell, I even took a few 'bigpig' offroad courses on it and did really well.

But nooooo... that damn R1200 had to come out. I'm a geek and a gadget head. Servo brakes? 1-wire CAN bus? Lighter, but can carry more? Bigger engine? What wasn't to like?

I should have known in the first week. I couldn't get more than 200 miles without needing a serious break. Wrists, lower back, ass... all of it got sore. I tried risers. I tried a different seat. I tried handlebar geometry change. Nothing seemed to help. Each day I missed my 1150 a little more; doubly so when I payed the higher monthly bill for the 1200's bike loan.

In dec 2006 I injured my lower back and couldn't ride for three months. By the time I could get back on, I didn't want to. When I did, it was annoying. The back injury made for a weird walking gait, which aggrivated the knee (hurt years ago by getting bounced off the hood of a car)... both of which don't play well with being overweight. Soon it wasn't only annoying, it was difficult. The R1200 became a garage queen for most all of 2007.

In dec 2007 I re-injured the same spot; who the hell knows how. This time, though, it seemed to knock things back into place. Two weeks of hell, two weeks of taking it easy, and by mid-january I was walking more normally than I had the entire year prior. The knee still sucks, but I could get around. And... hey! I could get on the bike again! It was so fun to ride once more that I forgot how much I hated the ergos. 600 miles of riding later, I remembered. Fine. Put it up on ADVRider and give it a new home where it'd be better appreciated. Off it went.

I only really looked at the Valk as a way to keep myself from being sad about having no bike. I loved the engine (from my past GL1800 experience) and thought the looks were decent. To be honest, I was mostly shopping for my dad. I figured I'd get it and ride it now and then, just to be *able* to... and my dad could ride it on his bi-annual visits from the midwest. He loves cruisers and their looks. I dickered about between Craigslist, eBay and online forums until I figured out which one I wanted. Just about then is when a 95 year old feller who'd recently had knee surgery rode his '98 Valk into the local dealer and told them "Doc says lose the bike or lose the license, so here it is." I bought it the very next day, within minutes of them having rolled it out onto their lot.

It's so easy to get on. It's a much better fit, ergos-wise, than the 1200 ever was. There's still a lot to do: I need to beef up the suspension, raise the seat slightly (need more butt-to-footpegs height) and either find straighter bars or better grips (or both). But I can tell I'm not far off to that all-day-riding nirvana like I'd found with the R1150GS-Adv. Just this time I'd have to stick to the asphalt and not the gravelly trails off in Death Valley that the GS brought me to. Considering the knee is still wibbly, this is probably a good thing.

Still... sometime in the next year or so I'll buy a 2nd bike. I might try to recapture the 1150ADV, if I can find another Rich's Saddle to fit (and damn I wish I'd kept the old one when I traded in!!!). I might keep with the mad-power trend and get a Rocket III. Or, FFS, since I own a metal shop and do fabrication as a hobby nowadays, my buddies in the motorcycle industry might start feeding me parts and I just go build one from scratch. That'd be something. A truly Tug-sized bike. But then I'd have a daily rider (Valk) that I could share with the dad-creature when he visits, and something even more fun to go along with it.

Here's to hoping that, knee-and-back-be-damned, I'll be swapping bikes, rides and styles for decades yet to come. And through it all I'll probably still keep checking in here to chat with you fellow inmates about it all. Thanks for putting up with my grumblings.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #38
Gusgus
Banned

In all honesty Tugrik, The Valk rocks on gravel and dirt. I rode across the Top of the World Highway (read gravel (pea) and dirt) There were quite a few R12's and R'1150's and even riding 2 up, I left them easilly. Not to say I couldn't have on the GS, but this Valk of mine is impressive when compared to the GS in off pavement situations.
I really do understand your Adventure loss. My Adventure fits me, which even the Valk doesn't as well. The Adventure is KING in making me feel good after 1000 miles in the saddle.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #39
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Aaah. Yeah, fire roads and gravel roads, no real problem. But even at my size, I used to do stupid(TM) things on the 1200ADV that the Valk simply doesn't have the clearance (and TKC80s) for. :)

I can't wait for the guys at Evolution to finish my suspension upgrades. Then it's time to get my ass out there and find out what this big bike can really do.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #40
Gusgus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugrik
Aaah. Yeah, fire roads and gravel roads, no real problem. But even at my size, I used to do stupid(TM) things on the 1200ADV that the Valk simply doesn't have the clearance (and TKC80s) for. :)

I can't wait for the guys at Evolution to finish my suspension upgrades. Then it's time to get my ass out there and find out what this big bike can really do.
What are you doing for the susp?

I added heavy springs on the works performance 13" rear shocks Yet the front hasn't been addressed.

Plus I have the Ultimate big boy seat and the Mustang, don't know which I like best,,,actually?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #41
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

I'm giving it to Evolution Suspension here in San Jose. They're getting custom manufactured springs (fork and shock) for my weight. The rear is getting a pair of Progressive 440s. The front will get a heavier weight shock oil to go with the custom spring upgrade. While it's in there I'm having the brake lines and clutch line replaced with Galfer braided ones.

I'll do a proper write-up once it's done to tell folks how it goes!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #42
ValkyrieRider
1520cc of Adventure.

Oddometer: 1,289
Valkyrie

Hello Fellow Valkyrie Riders,
I just found out there was a Valkyrie post on this site. I have been lurking around here for some time. My Valkyrie is a 1997 Tourer. After my wife and daughters it is the love of my life. I have had alot of other bikes but none as fun to ride as this one. I just got done getting a Interstate trunk painted and mounted on.
Attached Images

1997 Valkyrie Star 'n Stripes.
2001 XR400R

ValkyrieRider screwed with this post 04-06-2008 at 04:27 AM
ValkyrieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #43
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
I miss mine
Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #44
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
custom paint

freebird1,great custom paint.my 97my valk has 54K and is going in for another front tire.ive had it almost 5 years and cant think of a better 1 up bike.i use my 00 BMWK1200LT for 2 up touring.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #45
Gusgus
Banned

Thumb

OK pic it is, mine isn't very dressed up, but still a sweetie!

Gusgus screwed with this post 06-21-2008 at 09:19 PM