Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #76
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsoutheastwest
a bit off topic for this thread...but can any of you Valkyrie riders suggest (maybe from experience) what would be a good aux fuel system to install on the bike? My boss has one and wants to ride with me to AK on it and it appears to have a 150 mile range or so stock.

Thanks!!
If you can get to Moses Lake Washington, then you need to go here. They make a belly tank specifically built for the Valk, and it goes under the bike. Theres a bunch of pictures of other bikes with it installed here, and here I am with my new range-extension:

and another of the bike solo:

The belly tank is the the black box just in front of the rear tire. The I/S tank, combined with the belly tank, easily makes for a range of > 300 miles between fillups.

I also took a bunch of pics of the install and posted them here.

If you go, tell them "Tim from Ontario" sent you.

BTW - 28 MPG is low for a Valk at ~3K RPM - it should be in the 30's. If you're going faster, then the MPG drops pretty quick though. Some things you to have looked at would include making sure the carbs are clean, there aren't any stuck valves, the vacuum lines aren't cracked and leaking, etc.

The VOAI site is another good resource to check into.

timk519 screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 08:21 PM
timk519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #77
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
Secondly, I have the mustang seat and the "ultimate big boy" seat. I am 6'4" and even though I love the Valk, it throws my lower back out riding it.
Hey Gus - I've got an Ultimate Bigboy too (although I'm 5'7") - I'd suggest getting the Ultimate backrest to give your lower back the support it needs. I've got one on my bike, and can feel a huge difference between having it and not having it.

If you do get one, make sure they give you one with a long 'tounge' so it sits in the small of your back. The stock one was too short - even for me...

timk519 screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 08:22 PM
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #78
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
Hey Gus - I've got an Ultimate Bigboy too (although I'm 5'7") - I'd suggest getting the Ultimate backrest to give your lower back the support it needs. I've got one on my bike, and can feel a huge difference between having it and not having it.

If you do get one, make sure they give you one with a long 'tounge' so it sits in the small of your back. The stock one was too short - even for me...
You know I am moving?

So the Valk is on the block. Listed on CraigsList and we havd seen some nibblers, but just like Harley, sales for larger displacements in Alaska have sunk.
Might be keeping her anyway.

But the Valk is a hoot, just not the long mileage bike the GS is, for me.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #79
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You know I am moving?

So the Valk is on the block. Listed on CraigsList and we havd seen some nibblers, but just like Harley, sales for larger displacements in Alaska have sunk. Might be keeping her anyway.

But the Valk is a hoot, just not the long mileage bike the GS is, for me.
I knew you were moving, did not know you had the Valk up for sale.

Good luck whichever way things work out.

EDIT: Looking here, it would seem the market for Valks is a bit soft right now.

timk519 screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 02:27 PM
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #80
LadyDraco OP
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,728
Going back to extra fuel tanks.... We are looking at some fuel cells that look like little beer kegs.... They are way more reasonable then the belly tanks...
And hold more fuel ... Priced under $ 200 ... Can be removed also... That's why we are looking at them.. So we can take it off and put it on another Valk....

GusGus so sorry to hear about you selling your Valk...

My mate just bought another Valk last night a Blk I/S....
Dang need to build a bigger shop
Yes we really are Valk poor....

Nice Valk Timk519 ... I always loved the Champ/Blk combo
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #81
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Yes my sweet Valkyrie is for sale, but it will need to wait. I am in Oregon. Rode here on my GS. It took 38 hours of riding plus two 4 hour (each) sleeps.

The first day I did 1600 miles in 24 hours, (will submit them when I arrive back in Alaska to the IBA) then yesterday I completed the rest, (guessing right now) 1100 in 18 hours.
The GS did well, my shoulders are trashed.
Off to job interviews today. And to see if there really is a good reason to move here.

One clear reason are the roads. What a hoot they were yesterday.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #82
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Off to job interviews today. And to see if there really is a good reason to move here.
You're moving w/out having a job already lined up?

Quote:
One clear reason are the roads. What a hoot they were yesterday.
Oh yeah....
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #83
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco
Nice Valk Timk519 ... I always loved the Champ/Blk combo
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #84
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
VALK interstate

my only complaint for my 97 VALKYRIE after 5 years and 57K miles is that its not an interstate.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #85
LadyDraco OP
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,728
Well my mate did it again... We just added another Valk to our stable...
A fine Blk.I/S.... That gives him 2 I/S~2 Tourers~1 Std.. And My HalfBreed Trike~ I/S Trike... Dang Valk poor...
Yes we love our Valks.....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #86
BoxerTwinF6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Never checked out this corner of the forum before, and glad to see we have some Valkyrie riders here.

My '99 Tourer - I stumbled into this one quite by accident. Being more into sport-tourers I never thought I'd own one, but after a test drive and a grin from ear to ear I bought it. The original owner had it 2 years and put 2400 miles on it, then he bought a new Wing and was dumping this before winter. He added most of the chrome goodies, but I added the Mustang seat and Progressive 440's which improved the ride and comfort 100%. My wife's favorite for riding passenger.

Just need to get some highway pegs yet...

I wish Honda would make it again. Right now there's not many current models out there that I'd run out and get if I had to replace it. But, an 1800cc fuel-injected version would cetainly get my attention...
BoxerTwinF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #87
ValkyrieRider
1520cc of Adventure.

Oddometer: 1,289
Happy New Years all you Valkyrie riders.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Years. And also to get this post going again. Here is a pic of my Valkyrie since I added a trunk this year.
One of the best things I've done so far. Also added a belly tank this year. Now I get about 220 miles before fill ups.
1997 Valkyrie Star 'n Stripes.
2001 XR400R
ValkyrieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #88
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Years. And also to get this post going again. Here is a pic of my Valkyrie since I added a trunk this year.
Cool! Happy New Year to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider
One of the best things I've done so far. Also added a belly tank this year. Now I get about 220 miles before fill ups.
Excellent!

How is the trailer-hitch carrier working out?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #89
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I went and rode a very clean 97 Valkyrie yesterday. All I can say is, WOW! Just the sound alone is worth the price of admission! So heres the deal, I already have two bikes, a 91 Wing with 118,000 on the clock, so I know the flat six a bit. And a 98 KLR that I'm going to ride to Death Valley in a couple of weeks. I was messing around on Craigslist one day and found this very nice looking Valk standard, very nice. I got over to the guys house yesterday, I rode over on the Wing. That is what got me the test ride. ATGATT. First, the good: The sound, the power, oh my goodness, and it just looks badass! fun! Now what I had a problem with and I need some advice from Valk riders. The front end felt so heavy. I was riding around his neighborhood and when I would come to a stop sign or slow down to make a right turn, the front tire would really want to fall over. I know the tire is much bigger than on my Wing, does that make a difference? Is this something you get used to? When you get the bike moving above 15mph or so its great. All in all a great fun bike, I hope this something that you can get used to. Let me know Valk riders.
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #90
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99
First, the good: The sound, the power, oh my goodness, and it just looks badass! fun!
Indeed!

Quote:
Now what I had a problem with and I need some advice from Valk riders. The front end felt so heavy. I was riding around his neighborhood and when I would come to a stop sign or slow down to make a right turn, the front tire would really want to fall over. I know the tire is much bigger than on my Wing, does that make a difference? Is this something you get used to?
Best thing to do is stop over here http://www.valkyrie-owners.com/SMFORUM/ and ask. I'd check the front tire's pressure - anything below 40-41 lbs tends to make for harder steering than is necessary.

Personally, I can't remember my I/S "falling over", although it can be a bit of a handful at slow speeds.

Quote:
When you get the bike moving above 15mph or so its great. All in all a great fun bike, I hope this something that you can get used to. Let me know Valk riders.
You've been bitten, and the only "cure" is to get one for yourself and ENJOY!