Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Ordered the Edsets mike today. Now lets see if I can get it to work
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #17
ECM
Gnarly Adventurer

For the Audio part, I combined my Etymotic 6i with my molded earprotections. Works like a charm! You can simply plug the Etymotics in the tube of the earpieces.

Custom made hifi earbuds!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
My review of Edsets mic for the Zumo.

Well, the weather finally broke here and I was able to get some miles on my bike and test out the mic.

The bike:
2007 DL1000 V-Strom
Suzuki gel seat
Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad
Stock handlebars
Gen Mar bar risers (1" up and 1.5 back if I remember right)
Givi windscreen
MadStad adjustable windscreen mount
Mount in the middle position, windscreen adjusted all the way down and raked all the way back

The helmet:
Arai Profile
Mic mounted in the chinbar just below the front vent. This places the mic a tad below my mouth.
Testing was done with the "chin curtain" left up and deployed (down). Results were a tad better with it down. But the difference was not huge.

The phone:
LGVX8100 on the Verizon network

Me:
5'11" and 155#

Testing was done with the help of several very patient friends. Tests were run from a standstill with the motor running in traffic up to speeds of about 85mph.

Seated:
All in all...the mic works as it should. My friends said they could hear some background noise as the speeds increased. But they also said it was never worse than someone talking on a cell phone in a car with the window partially open. I could be heard clearly at all speeds. One person did note that there was a little echo. Not sure what was causing it.

Standing:
It works...mostly. Airflow and buffeting around my head and body was, of course, greatly increased by standing on the pegs. The chin curtain on my helmet made a significant difference here. Enough wind was deflected away from the chin area of the helmet that it made conversation possible. It wasn't as good as being seated, but it did work. Most people said it was like talking to someone walking around outside in a heavy wind. It was annoying, but I could still be understood. I could make it a little better if I moved my head and body around a bit to get a little cleaner airflow.

There you have it. For me it's a keeper.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
onebaduce OP

Oddometer: 566
What version software on your Zumo? Did you update the bluetooth version (3.0 I think is the newest) Wondering if it's that because some people have reported issues with it and revert back to the old siftware and it clears up the issues. Just asking because I'm wondering still if it's my phone that sucks or the software is the culprit.

I'll see how ECM's report is on it once he chimes in.

Joe
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #20
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

I am using the Bluetooth 3.0. But I may try rolling it back and see if makes any difference. The echo only happened to one person I was talking to.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
ECM
Gnarly Adventurer

I got it mounted yesterday. The fitting in my Shuberth C2 was quite easy.(got pictures of it, but for now I am too lazy to post them)

For the postive news:
Testing proved that the audibility together with my Eatymotic E6 was very good. The persons I called could understand me fine as well

(Bike being a BMW GSA + C2 helmet makes a relative silent set up).
Speeds up to 120km/h were tested, with some side winds to add the windnoise.
Test succeeded!!!

For the negative side:
The cable supplied with the mike was too long and too thick. Echo's were heared as well. Maybe that was due to the fact that I folded a bit of the cable (more testing needed) .

For the realy negative side:
Totaly unhappy with all these cables!!! Too long, too thick, too clumsy hanging from your ears and helmet. Now I got to find a solution for that. Maybe I should have chosen a boom mike instead of a stick on type :-(
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #22
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
I got it mounted yesterday. The fitting in my Shuberth C2 was quite easy.(got pictures of it, but for now I am too lazy to post them)

For the postive news:
Testing proved that the audibility together with my Eatymotic E6 was very good. The persons I called could understand me fine as well

(Bike being a BMW GSA + C2 helmet makes a relative silent set up).
Speeds up to 120km/h were tested, with some side winds to add the windnoise.
Test succeeded!!!

For the negative side:
The cable supplied with the mike was too long and too thick. Echo's were heared as well. Maybe that was due to the fact that I folded a bit of the cable (more testing needed) .

For the realy negative side:
Totaly unhappy with all these cables!!! Too long, too thick, too clumsy hanging from your ears and helmet. Now I got to find a solution for that. Maybe I should have chosen a boom mike instead of a stick on type :-(
I don't think boom mic will help with the cable issue. You'll still have a cable going from your mic to the Zumo.

Another option to eliminate the cable when you don't need the mic is to use a cable stay (clips, holders, whatever the local electronics place calls them) on the mic side of the molex connector. Then you can just unplug the molex connector and stash the cord.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
ECM
Gnarly Adventurer

I got arround to build in the microphone.
Unfortunately our lovely customs thougth they had to double the price with some sort of tax.. :-\ . More then pitty that mr Ed does not have a distributor in Europe..

Anyway here is how it is installed in my Shuberth C2 flip helmet

What's in the box?

I just took the chin part off for easy acces. No big deal to that.

Microphone plus wiring got plenty of room in the chinpart. The wire can simply be tugged between the lining.

After assembly (sticked on with supplied Velcro). Ps: Never put your mike straight in front of your mouth. Saves the caller some "splashing" sounds

I still have to work on extending the litte wire to the side. Now it is connecting on the flip part, so the cable to the Zumo moves up as well :-\
I also need to shorten the rather long (and firm) cable to the Zumo by about 30 inches.

Fieldtesting with this setup:
Together with my modified Etymotics speakers in custom molded earpieces, the voice clarity could not be better!! Callers could hear me very well as well, up to highwayspeeds of 120 km / h (90 miles I think). At first the wired connection gave a lot of crackling over the line. Cleaning the Zumo's mike input solved that.

All in all, it is working fine! Now I just need to get these cables sorted...

ECM screwed with this post 04-07-2008 at 12:36 PM
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #24
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Very interesting - thanks for the pics. So, what is the diameter and thickness of the mic? Looks like the cable from the mic needs to be a bit longer....maybe if I ever order one, I'll measure and ask to have it a certain length.....and the mic to gps cable a certain length as well...... IF he'd do that.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #25
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9
Very interesting - thanks for the pics. So, what is the diameter and thickness of the mic? Looks like the cable from the mic needs to be a bit longer....maybe if I ever order one, I'll measure and ask to have it a certain length.....and the mic to gps cable a certain length as well...... IF he'd do that.

He was very good to deal with when I had him make up my mic for me. The standard Zumo mic that he now offers comes with a 30" cable. I think you could probably order up any length of cable you wanted. Just shoot him an e-mail.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #26
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Diggin up an old thread here but I've got mine installed and have made one test call so far.

At first I tried as described just above and placed the mic to one side of my chin bar. At a standstill that worked just fine but at any speeds over 20MPH or so they couldn't hear a word I was saying.

Going to try moving it around some and see how that works by calling my voice mailbox. I don't want to subject anyone else to the wind noise lol
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaduce
Trying to find a microphone only was next to impossible. I Love my Shure E3c's and couldn't get myself to butcher a complete headphone set just to get a mic.. Well I spoke to Ed at Edsets and he made a custom cable a couple times for some Zumo guys in the same predicament. I just ordered one and he made it a standard item on the website now under "Zumo Microphone For Helmet" you can order a surface mount mic or a boom. finally can use my bluetooth

http://www.edsets.com/?af=bailey

Will post results after I get it.

standard disclaimers apply, I never used Edsets before and have no affiliation YMMV

Joe
Of course, you could have ordered a Microphone made for the Zumo directly from Garmin. This is what I am using with the ER6i headphones. The microphone comes with various tabs and hooks so that you can install to a helmet plus it comes with a 6' cable and is specifically made to be used with your Bluetooth phone and plugs in directly to the Zumo cradle.

http://www.gpsnow.com/garmin_010-10804-00.htm

Jon
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Failed to mention that the clip mount and a flat surface mount brackets employs ball and socket mounting arrangement so that the protruding ball from the mounts allow the microphone, with a female socket mount, to simply clip and lock in place which makes for very easy microphone removal w/ wire when not being used. The bracket stays in place but you can simply unplug the microphone and the wire.

Jon
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
How well does the garmin unit work on a motorcycle at speed? The website only mentions using it in a car.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #30
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider
How well does the garmin unit work on a motorcycle at speed? The website only mentions using it in a car.
Correct, not specifically made for bikes but it works. Placement of mic is critical. Worked OK for me as I could carry on a conversation.