ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
rjbergen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Detroit Tour Planning

I decided to break this out from the Detroit Greetings thread and make it a separate thread. I figured it would be easier to track things in here rather than having them lost in the Detroit Greetings thread.

Edit: This ride is going to happen on Sat., Sept. 28th, 2013. We'll plan to depart at 9:00AM (arrive at 8:45AM) at the Northeast corner of 13 Mile and Coolidge Highway (just East of 13 Mile and Woodward) where I marked on the map. Eat breakfast before you arrive.

I figure we should make it to Eastern Market for lunch around 12:30PM, depending how long we take to explore the Packard Plant and Heidelberg Project.

Please fill up your gas tank before you arrive. Also, bring water or something to drink. There may be no stops besides Eastern Market where food and drink are available.
/Edit

Here's the original Detroit Greetings post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbergen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
Here's a list of people that I'll pm based on their expressed interest (as well as post in this thread) if I ever decide to do another Packard plant ride. If anyone else plans a streetbike friendly ride, I'd definitely be interested.

1. trumposorousrex
2. pman13
3. two trackin fool + 1 (maybe)
4. multistraddler
5. MKorn
6. marine_mike + 1
7. advchar
8. proeasy
9. Jaws
10. howier + 1
11. BMacW650
12. bigtrailie
13. mbim12
14. rjbergen
15. VG44
16. ADW
17. drewcrew
18. Roxyig
19. Lobster
20. frecks + 2 (passenger and second bike)
21. exoff-roadgoat
22. tazmetal
23. SkidMarx
24. Dfrnt
25. SloMo228
26. Redline3504 + 1 (2nd bike)
27. max384 + 1 (2nd bike)
28. dougfromindy
29. Sox Fan
30. oz97tj
31. sleazy rider
32. MN_Smurf
33. theloop
34. bobbidy loblaw
35. mr2autoxr
36. fastdadio + 1(?)
37. johnyrrr

From rjbergen: Red indicates that inmate is planning to attend the ride. Yellow indicated the inmate would like to attend but is not confirmed yet.
Sorry for digging back a ways, but I've been talking with frecks and would like to take another ride through Detroit maybe in mid Sept.

Here's a map of the route I laid out to start:
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208710990182972477257.0004e361fef012bb71c9 c&msa=0
Note: Blue lines are travel routes. Red Lines are routes to explore the location. Pins (red colored) with "Stop" in the name are stops, those pins (green colored) without are simply to point out a point of interest as we ride by.
Note 2: Please notice that there is a second page now. Simply scroll down the left window of points until you reach the bottom, then proceed to page 2 to see the final portion of the route.

I've given this route to frecks for review, but he hasn't responded other than "Sweet" and I'm not sure if that was in reference to the route or me being able to get it all on one Google Map compared to the 2 maps I sent earlier.

In any case, the above list includes those who expressed interest in going when frecks first posted. If others are interested, please voice it.

If you're interested, please look over the route and provide comments, criticisms, feedback, and/or suggestions. The current route ventures through and past many of the landmarks of the city before swinging downriver for a few stops that I find interesting, but may not interest others as much. The route as-is is about 40 miles from the start to the last stop, add another 22.4 if you ride back to the start for a ~63 mile round trip. Google estimates 2 hours and 45 minutes of riding. I'd make it a 6 hour estimate with our stops.

I also included 3 breweries at the end of the list for anyone looking to take some Detroit beer home (I have not been to any of these, so I cannot comment on quality, but I have heard of them all before).

This is an on-road route, although there may/likely will be some chances for the knobbies to explores sections of the Packard Plant. However, tire kits are a good idea to have if you plan to do this as there were lots of nails and broken glass last time I was there. Also, as some parts are not structurally sound, please look and think before taking a route.

rjbergen screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 05:26 PM
rjbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 738
in

Will be watching here for times and dates.
Thanks for putting this together.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
VG44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
In

Subscribed

Looking forward to this; just hope its on a Sunday.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
in/subscribed
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,173
I wouldn't want to live there but find the inner city fascinating to say the least. I love going to the Eastern Market and have taken friends by the Heildelburg Project a few times. Breakfast or lunch at Louies by the market is great.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I wouldn't want to live there but find the inner city fascinating to say the least. I love going to the Eastern Market and have taken friends by the Heildelburg Project a few times. Breakfast or lunch at Louies by the market is great.
I agree on not wanting to live there but finding it fascinating. I've never been to Eastern Market. I need to change that. I've driven by the Heildelburg Project once or twice, but never got out of the cage to take a look around.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,173
Saturday morning is the time to go to the market. Lots of plants and fresh farm products this time of year. Louie's is just around the corner on Mack. Yum
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
rjbergen OP
Adventurer

This ride is going to happen on Sat., Sept. 28th, 2013. We'll plan to depart at 9:00AM (arrive at 8:45AM) at the Northeast corner of 13 Mile and Woodward where I marked on the map. Eat breakfast before you arrive.

I figure we should make it to Eastern Market for lunch around 12:30PM, depending how long we take to explore the Packard Plant and Heidelberg Project.

OP has been updated to reflect this.

Edit: Sorry VG, I know you wanted a Sunday, but hopefully this is early enough notice that you can work it out.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 600
In!

Looks good. Thanks for lining this up. They say that there is safety in numbers

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
multistraddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
On the calendar + Subscribed. :)
multistraddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
rjbergen OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
They say that there is safety in numbers
This is true, but I'm not too worried. I've grown up around Detroit my whole life. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think it's a problem unless you're looking for trouble.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
That's 5 days after my wife is due to give birth. So looks like I'll be off work! Lol. We will see of I can attend but I'm not holding my breath here.

I don't see Belle Isle listed. I always wanted to ride over there. Is it not worth the trip?

oz97tj screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 09:32 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,182
I'm In

Sweet my calender was even open !

Thanks for doing to organizing .

I have tried to explore the city a couple times just always been alone or with the daughter .

Is their anyone else that "Might" have a pileon ???

How many bikes before we need parade permits .

two trackin fool screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 09:33 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
I'm In

Sweet my calender was even open !

Thanks for doing to organizing .

I have tried to explore the city a couple times just always been alone or with the daughter .

Is their anyone else that "Might" have a pileon ???

How many bikes before we need parade permits .
My girlfriend will be with me. She has her own bike, but will probably be on the back of mine for this.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
That's 5 days after my wife is due to give birth. So looks like I'll be off work! Lol. We will see of I can attend but I'm not holding my breath here.

I don't see Belle Isle listed. I always wanted to ride over there. Is it not worth the trip?
I think Belle Isle is pretty sweet. I'm not opposed to adding a quick jaunt through Belle Isle in.