ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #316
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,581
What a hassle these day's almost better to move west or trade the dirtbike in for a streetbike.....

Utah Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #317
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,619
How horrible are the skeeters,black flies,etc in the UP around the first of July?

I know this is probably a dumb question and will get some appropriate answers for it

I will be mainly in the eastern part and will run some of Cannonshots UPAT trail.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #318
Yooper_Bob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
How horrible are the skeeters,black flies,etc in the UP around the first of July?

I know this is probably a dumb question and will get some appropriate answers for it

I will be mainly in the eastern part and will run some of Cannonshots UPAT trail.
Black flies will be long gone by then...so you only have to deal with mosquitoes. They are pretty low key during the day (unless you are in some really swampy areas), but can be sort of thick in the evenings.

So far, this spring has been very dry, so unless we get a ton of rain in June, mosquitoes should not be a problem come July.

Just bring some good bug spray containing DEET, and you won't have any problems (unless you camp in the middle of a swamp).
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #319
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 555
Finally got the hand out from the trail meeting scanned.

Also, the local bird cage liner did a write up of the meeting. As usual, they pretty much didn't get a damn thing right.

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5006
Old 05-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #320
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,346
Fire update. I see that fire was traveling 1.7 mph and setting spot fires up to 2,000 feet ahead.

We are evacuating all visitors from the Lower Falls Campground and the Upper Falls viewing area at Tahquamenon Falls State Park. These areas will also be barricaded to prevent subsequent entry. If the fire continues on its current path it will be within a mile of the Upper Falls viewing area sometime tonight. Visitors are asked to avoid visiting the Tahquamenon Falls area this weekend due to the fire danger and the existing, deteriorating heavy smoke conditions.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #321
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 5,888
We were at Tahq Falls SP until ~16:00 today. They were shutting the place down when we left as well as watering down the roof of the brewery and shops - a wise move since the winds were already driving ash at least as far as the upper falls. Evacuation had not yet been announced was obviously soon to follow. We encountered very heavy smoke from a few miles south of Paradise to damn near Engadine. CR-500 off of 123 was closed and looked to be at least one of the staging areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Fire update. I see that fire was traveling 1.7 mph and setting spot fires up to 2,000 feet ahead.

We are evacuating all visitors from the Lower Falls Campground and the Upper Falls viewing area at Tahquamenon Falls State Park. These areas will also be barricaded to prevent subsequent entry. If the fire continues on its current path it will be within a mile of the Upper Falls viewing area sometime tonight. Visitors are asked to avoid visiting the Tahquamenon Falls area this weekend due to the fire danger and the existing, deteriorating heavy smoke conditions.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #322
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
A couple buddies of mine are probably getting in some serious overtime right now.

I should let them know I have a TTR up for sale.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #323
redneckdan

Getting rid of your your TTR eh?

The Fizzy is in a locker in the iron range with both ends off the ground. Local shop is suppose to have the fresh skins mounted and balanced by the time I get back. Got the stuff to do the final drive replacement and probably will tear down and repack the rear suspension bearings while I am at it. I did managed to get all the EXUP bolts loose, still need to lube the bushings. Do you still have the tie down straps for that tank bag? Went to use it and realized they weren't with it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #324
Askel
Perma-n00b

A WR250R followed me home last week.

Tank bag only had a "oh shit" loop on the front to attach it to something in case the magnets failed. Magnets never gave me any problems, so I subsequently never used and lost that loop.

While cleaning out TTR parts, I found a new OEM front sprocket for the FZ1. If you want it, just PM me an address and I can drop it in the mail or leave it someplace locally or whatever works for you...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #325
redneckdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
A WR250R followed me home last week.
Nice, I coulda swore I saw you floggin the TTR on 26 while I was coming back from the iron range.

Quote:

Tank bag only had a "oh shit" loop on the front to attach it to something in case the magnets failed. Magnets never gave me any problems, so I subsequently never used and lost that loop.
Well shit, didn't even notice the magnets. It is stuck to the front of the refridgerator right now....hey the fizzy is 300 miles away.

Quote:
While cleaning out TTR parts, I found a new OEM front sprocket for the FZ1. If you want it, just PM me an address and I can drop it in the mail or leave it someplace locally or whatever works for you...
Fuck that, I'm coming to yer house and ridin that WR.

I probably won't make it down there before I have to head back to Minnesota on monday. I will let you know once I get a PO box over there. Jen and I are wall tenting it until we close on a house. Still gotta get the burned out front flap put back together, that is tonight's project. Thanks for the spare parts. Always interested if you find more.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #326
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,372
Hey guys,

Troll here (Grand Rapids area) putting some finishing touches on the planning of a road trip through the UP at the end of the month.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any rustic camping areas in the Newberry area. Satellite views show lots of little lakes along County Road 407 out of town, but I am not sure which ones might be friendly to stealth campers.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: A little further north (along our intended route) is Perch Lake which shows in the state forest there. Anyone even camp/fish there?

Thanantos screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 01:42 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #327
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Hey guys,

Troll here (Grand Rapids area) putting some finishing touches on the planning of a road trip through the UP at the end of the month.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any rustic camping areas in the Newberry area. Satellite views show lots of little lakes along County Road 407 out of town, but I am not sure which ones might be friendly to stealth campers.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: A little further north (along our intended route) is Perch Lake which shows in the state forest there. Anyone even camp/fish there?
Lots of state forest stuff in there (cheap). I e-mailed MDNR for some blank permits in the past to be able to set up in the backcountry in the state forest without any issues.
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...ippewaarea.htm

Edit: Info on dispersed camping here: http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinf...ngAnywhere.pdf
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #328
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Be sure to check your plans against the duck lake fire area: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...9122--,00.html

Lots of scorched ground out that way, although east of Perch Lake.

I stayed at the High Bridge campground back in April. Nice place overlooking the Two Hearted river and I had the place to myself.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #329
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,372
Great, thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #330
Storm Howlet
The Storm Owl

Oddometer: 27
Porterfield Lake ORV

Some video of Porterfield Lake ORV trail from a day long dualsport ride I took on 7/29/12

http://youtu.be/DJ_BEYYNYb0

Storm Howlet screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:45 PM Reason: embed video
Storm Howlet is offline   Reply With Quote