User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
pnguzzi OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Taking Bike to Europe???

Looking into ridding my US registered bike in Europe, possible leaving it there for a while.
Anybody have any insight into:
- shipping / flying?
- any problems with customs
- any required registration
- any maximum length of bike stay
- Insurance

any and all info
pnguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Not 100% what you asked, but close enough to check this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868979

You can take your own bike to Europe, but shipping costs money, and is almost always some sort of PIA. So I would not do it for only a short trip, a long trip or multiple trips, then it might be different.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,378
I've shipped bikes by air between the UK and the US on a number of occasions in the past, and it is very easy if you use an agent, but obviously it is also very expensive - in the region of $2000 each way.

As Pecha says, it really isn't worth it for a short trip - even for a month or more you'd be able to rent something (fully insured) for a lot less than the cost of return shipping.

Three months and it's a different story perhaps - or part of an ongoing [RTW] tour, or if you plan to leave the bike somewhere in Europe and return to it for time to time, then it has some merit.

I understand shipping by sea is significantly cheaper, but then there are additional logistics and customs and potential storage charges etc. to consider.

There is a lot of good information on the Horizons Unlimited website (HUBB) regarding current prices and those companies who can make it as easy as possible for you.

Hope that helps...

Jx.

PS. Be aware if you ship into the UK though, you will have to arrange your insurance through a company in mainland Europe (Knopftours etc), or as in Wheatwhackers link, via Eire (not Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK) - as for some unfathomable reason, the UK insurance industry will not insure non-residents of the UK, even though you are perfectly at liberty to use the roads with insurance bought from another EU country - I know, it is a bizarre state of affairs for a country that is a major hub for both air and sea international shipping.
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Karlfitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A friend of mine is doing this for a trip next year.
Bike is shipping in April so he can pick it up in May.
$600 (about) to get it there, and that is after he gets it to the port in Los Angeles.
I looked at rentals and there are about 120 a day, so depending on the length of your trip it could work out cost wise.

You just are without your bike at home for close to 4 months with shipping out there and then back.

I have thought about looking into purchasing a bike out there (used) and then selling it when I leave.
More capitol up front, but if you could find someone you can trust could be a lot less than either option.
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
I've shipped two bikes to Europe and keep one in Heidelberg. Stefan Knopf can help you do the same. He runs a full service business, shipping, storage, B&B, a maintenance facility for your use, will get the proper paper work for you, and will shuttle your bike to a dealer if needed........ and is an avid rider. Look here: http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html

Keeping a US registered bike in Europe is not a problem, I've had a bike there for over 5 years.

Paul
Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Something to take into account, is that these days, some ports in Europe may require you to leave a monetary deposit for your vehicle, that will be refundable, when you leave the country. But it can a be sizeable sum of money, probably depends on the value of your vehicle.

When I first read such claims, I thought they were absolute horsesh*t (because EU should not demand this kind of things for temp import)..... but after having read about several travellers facing this kind of problems, there may actually be some truth in those claims. Strange thing is, not all points of entry may require this. Bremerhaven was one, IIRC. I live in EU, so naturally I don΄t have personal experience about this, and do not know, if there is a work-around to this.

(600 dollars for a MC from LA to Europe, that would be quite cheap.. but I suspect that it does not include the costs at the receiving end?)
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 449
Another +1 for Wheatwhacker!

There is only one way to sensibly ride in europe for those of us based on other continents: http://motofeirme.com/

Have a look at the site, it is all there. Martin (Wheatwhacker) is the man if you what to do any riding in Europe economically.

Trust me on this!!

MitchG screwed with this post 11-03-2014 at 03:35 AM
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I wouldn't even bother shipping a bike to Europe. It's a bigger hassle than it's worth. I thought it was a good idea back in 2009 when I worked in Finland. It turned out to be way more bullshit than it was worth (crating, shipping, customs entry, selling it, etc.) If I ever move overseas again for a job, I'll just buy a bike locally.
jenkkimike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Karlfitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I looked at my friends quote again.

This will be his bike in a container with other bikes/goods. Hope it is packed well.
Also does not include the insurance, which if I was doing this I would by. That cost 2.5% of the bikes value. This seems to be everything for the way over.
Same cost, or maybe more, to get the bike home.
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote