Old 09-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #166
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
From Wiki:

Quote:
Food preservation
Sodium silicate [here ref'd to as isinglass] was also used as an egg preservation agent in the early 20th Century with large success. When fresh eggs are immersed in it, bacteria which cause the eggs to spoil are kept out and water is kept in. Eggs can be kept fresh using this method for up to nine months. When boiling eggs preserved this way, it is well advised to pin-prick the egg to allow steam to escape because the shell is no longer porous.
An article in The Mother Earth News offers test results for this and other methods of preservation. LINK
Didn't know there were two references for isinglass. Tanks.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #167
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Thanks, I just read that and was sittin' here wondering what the hell that was.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #168
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Not on my bike, and not really all that cheap, but I spent the night in the back of my car in the parking lot of the bar where I spent a few dollars...

I seriously doubt anyone will disturb you 'round a bar.

As far as powerlines, there weren't any roads right under the powerlines in the Adirondacks, but there is plenty of greenish brush to sleep amongst, and a bike could get in there. For cars there are random spots here and there.

I just spent the last 2 days finding all the dirt roads I could get to in my car!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #169
BusinessSocks
A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer: 59
There's a lot of good stuff here. Thanks for all of the helpful contributions to this thread. I look forward to using a number of them.
BusinessSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #170
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 861
Good info here...

I'll try to contribute something I started years ago wich my wife thinks is the dumbest idea ever imagined.

I do three or four trips a year that usually are'nt over 5 days. I figured out that if I just take my old wore out t-shirts, socks , and underwear and toss em in the trash when I'm done with them, it continually lightens the load and no need for a laundry mat. A dirty shirt that is about to be tossed can make a excellent rag for cleaning chains and what not before it's tossed.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #171
Radiator
User

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrid Cold
I'll try to contribute something I started years ago wich my wife thinks is the dumbest idea ever imagined.
Hahahaha....I do that too....
Radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #172
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
Don't know if anyone said it yet but most people miss one of great places to clean up and do you cloth are truck stops. if you are buying an atlas consider buying a truckers one because they list most truck stops, miles and almost any road you can think of. You can ship, shave, do you clothing. If your hitching consider them to as a place to ask for a ride.
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #173
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjnathan
Waxed eggs.....a novel idea
Funny I just read an 1812 cook book and that is one way they keep them fresh . The other was lime water as in the lime they use to make soap. I don't think that is healthy.
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #174
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
To the OP that stated he didn't like the bulk of a ground cloth, use a mylar emergency blanket instead. Works great, packs to nothing and cheap.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #175
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
Cheap (free), tough groundcloths

We use a scrap of Tyvek. That's the stuff you see "saran wrapped" around buildings while they redo the siding. It's very tough but folds down fairly small. Just ask for a piece when they take it down. You can buy it too (hardware store), but then it's pretty pricey.

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #176
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314
We use a scrap of Tyvek. That's the stuff you see "saran wrapped" around buildings while they redo the siding. It's very tough but folds down fairly small. Just ask for a piece when they take it down. You can buy it too (hardware store), but then it's pretty pricey.
I tried that route.

Don't try wrapping or rolling it up too early in the morning at a populated campground. You'll wake everyone within a 1/2 radius. It makes enough noise to wake the dead.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #177
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
Don't try wrapping or rolling it up too early in the morning at a populated campground. You'll wake everyone within a 1/2 radius. It makes enough noise to wake the dead.
That doesn't make sence to me...Tyvek is 'clothy' enough to be quietly folded.
But those blue tarps???...holy crap!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #178
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
No, TwoShots is right, it's loud as hell, sounds like an oldschool movie theater "thunder" effect. But I'm hoping that once it gets more wrinkled and broken in it'll become clothlike like you said, and therefore quieter.

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #179
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,529
Washing Tyvek in cold or warm water with no detergent in a washing machine then hang-drying it will make it softer and less noisy. Washing the Tyvek may cause it to shrink a bit so initially cut your groundsheet to fit your tent or shelter a bit bigger, then wash and hang-dry it then trim to size if need be.

Tyvek washing instructions

To reduce noise and to make your Tyvek softer and more pliable, repeatedly twist the Tyvek and put it into a clothes washer for 1-2 washings without soap (hot or cold water, it doesn't matter). When washing Tyvek in a top-loading washer, be sure to place it around the drum wall and keep an eye on it so that it doesn't wrap itself around the agitator. Once you have finished washing it, remove the material from your washer carefully as it will collect water inside it's creases and you want to be careful it doesn't spill all over your floor. Once all the major water has been removed from the Tyvek, shake off the remaining water and hang it on a clothesline, fence, etc. to dry - do NOT put the Tyvek in your clothes dryer to dry.

Almost all you want to know about Tyvek

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=525

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=524

WeeBee screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 09:57 AM
WeeBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #180
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,381
Very interesting and information fill thread. Thanks Jamie. I don't camp too much any more but do cheap motels as a present to myself when I turned 62 a few years back.
Before that, any field off the road and stealth camping was my favorite. Many times, stopping at little general stores or small cafe's would get me camping places that were free. Peoples yards, church yards, a local campsite not known to the general public, etc. Little items to cook that night if could on a whisper lite stove which took up hardly any room. Subway has always been my friend for cheap eating. Foot longs rule. ;-) In resturants with all you can eat , doggy bags. Like mention, a little bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap took care of all cleaning needs plus tire lube if needed for repairing flats. I don't think I could break the bead on my 1250S Bandit with tire irons. That is one stiff sidewall tire. Now on my old KLR's or DR's, not a problem.
Many state parks have showers and if you just drive in there in the morning, stop, take a shower and leave.
I still like stopping at parks and doing a meal picked up early that day at some little store. Laying out on a park bench and taking a nap. A cup of fresh coffee before hitting the road again.
Thanks for all the input as a lot of it brings a smile to my face.
Most of all, let's keep this thread going.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote