Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Sticky this one
Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #182
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Thanks for the bump. I need to update my article with new information soon.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #183
Slabrocks
Out riding....

Oddometer: 54
recently found the forum and just today found this thread. i ended up making a word document so i could copy and paste stuff i wanted to either remember or research further.

my contribution: anymore ppl put the little 12v cigarette plugs on bikes for GPS and phone charging.
has anyone tried the thermal cups that plug into the same socket? i used mine for hot tea and hot choc awhile ago. draws almost no current and would be plenty warm for a single serving meal
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #184
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
anyone tried the thermal cups that plug into the same socket?
show us a pic I'm curious
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #185
Slabrocks
Out riding....

Oddometer: 54
the mug is stored away right now. ill dig it out soon and put up a pic.

i did a search on the net and found a copy of it that has a brand name. the one i have had no name on it and i think it was about $5 bucks.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...15/160315.aspx

i was on a ninja 250 site last week and i found a guy that put a cupholder on his handlebar for his morning commute to work.
i think the 2 things could work together
Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #186
kawasakifreak77
the Asphalt Cowboy

Oddometer: 124
I just read all 13 pages of this & learned a ton of great info I'm going to try out when I go for broke. Mega props to all of those who contributed!

A few things I'll try to contribute. Constructive criticism welcomed!

Packing bread. I like sandwiches & was thinking why couldn't you keep the bread in one of those hard plastic square tube things? Should be small enough to fit into a good sized hardbag & would keep it fresh. Plus the empty space at the other end would be good to keep whatever you put between the slices.

Cheap, one use motel stay. A friend of mine at work that was in the motel business for years told me this. Say your out traveling & beat from the road looking for a warm bed, free breakfast, wifi, shower, etc? (most likely all the above) A day or two out from a predetermined location, call up a motel & when you make the reservation, tell them you need the 'bereavement' rate. I haven't tried it myself but figure I eventually will when I'm looking for a cheap stay. I thought it might be kind of morally eff'd up myself but still worth a shot for experimental purposes.

Drinks, I can't stand water. Hawaiian punch man! Less than two bucks at wally world gets you a gallon of fruity goodness chock full of vitamin C! Mix with vodka or rum for a nice toddy at the end of the day. Or sunny D, it's a bit more expensive though & guess what? Cheap ass tequila for a great tequila sunrise. I have just discovered the goodness that is a bit of Kahula in black coffee too. Fill up your mug somewheres to get a cheaper price (about a buck, buck & a half tops), suck down about 1/4 of it & add the Kahula for your end of the day drink while you set up camp to warm your gut.

That's all I got.

I like the idear about airports. My grandfather is a pilot & I have a little bit of airport experience. He avoids the big airports if possible & lands at smaller ones arranging travel from there. It's like an oasis! You get a lounge to park your buns for awhile, free coffee (a must for me!) weather forcast (another top priority while I'm touring) & there's always cool people at small airports to talk to. Pilots are travelers & so are us motorcyclists, we have essentially the same needs. I don't know if I could talk someone into letting me pitch a tent on the grass or let me get a free shower but from my experience I don't think it would be a far stretch. I bet if you look rather presentable, be polite & don't come off like you're not a poor bum looking for free stuff your chances would be good. This is also me reflecting back on small airports with very low (if any) security & a laid back atmosphere. I know I will also try this & report back with my success or lack thereof.

1974 XL350 'Buttons' Scooter trash goes flat track racing!
kawasakifreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #187
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77
Cheap, one use motel stay. A friend of mine at work that was in the motel business for years told me this. Say your out traveling & beat from the road looking for a warm bed, free breakfast, wifi, shower, etc? (most likely all the above) A day or two out from a predetermined location, call up a motel & when you make the reservation, tell them you need the 'bereavement' rate. I haven't tried it myself but figure I eventually will when I'm looking for a cheap stay. I thought it might be kind of morally eff'd up myself but still worth a shot for experimental purposes.
There's something wrong with this idea. I'll let you figure it out.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #188
Mikey113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
There's something wrong with this idea. I'll let you figure it out.
I'd stay away from that one, too. Too karmatic - like the boy who cried wolf...

Owyhee Ride Report click
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #189
AdvNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
One tip about getting discounts on motels/hotels.. Ask them if there are any discounts for people in town on business. I used to travel for work and a guy tipped me off to it. Works sometimes.
AdvNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #190
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Regarding asking for discounts at hotels, I wouldn't ask for a discount I wasn't entitled to, such as bereavement or business, but I often ask if they can do better on the price. Unfortunately, as I pointed out in my article, this has usually been unsuccessful.

The experience I recalled in my budget travel article was when I stopped at a mom-and-pop style hotel. The woman quoted me a rate of something like $35 for the night. I told her I was on a very tight budget, and could she give me a better rate. She very seriously said, "Sure, I understand. How about $34?"

On the other hand, at a locally owned hotel in Wisconsin, the guy quoted me a ~$40 rate for a room, and I asked if he had anything cheaper or could cut me a deal. He hemmed and hawed and then explained that he does have one cheaper room, but he usually doesn't rent it out. It was $20 for the night, and in my opinion the best room in the place. Whereas all the other rooms were standard motel style, all connected, this cheaper room was a self-contained cottage out back. To this day it's the cheapest hotel I've ever gotten in the US. This was also the guy who turned me on to motorcycling... there's a great story behind it.

In addition, if you ask a hotel clerk if there is a cheaper place nearby, I've found that almost all of them will point you to a more economical hotel down the road. I've found some good deals that I wouldn't have otherwise known about that way. Either that, or they will tell you that they are the cheapest place in town. My experience shows that they've always told the truth.

When I look for a cheap room, I don't whine and complain about how I don't have any money or can't afford the full price, I simply politely explain that I'm on a very tight budget and that I'm simply looking for a bed and shower for the night.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #191
tlmkr50
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win
To the OP that stated he didn't like the bulk of a ground cloth, use a mylar emergency blanket instead. Works great, packs to nothing and cheap.
I like to save my old shower curtains. They are just the right size for my two man dome tent.
tlmkr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #192
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmkr50
I like to save my old shower curtains. They are just the right size for my two man dome tent.
That is what I use too,but I buy new ones, they are cheap. Ground sheets used to be everywhere for sale years ago, now they seem to have disappeared from most stores.

I have been camping on motorcycles for 35 years and would never even consider camping without a ground sheet, so much easier to dry them out in the morning than the bottom of your tent, at the worst I pack them wet. Packing a wet tent.....not really a good idea! I even carry an extra one to cover my bike if it is raining.

Ground sheets will also keep you much warmer at night, amazing how much condensation can come up from the ground even in the dryest areas.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #193
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,804
H96669 is right about the ground cover sheets.

I went to a 'biker' party/run some years ago in the pouring rain (I live in Oregon). Just about everybody had tarps OVER the tops of their tents!!! They all laughed at me as I put my tarp underneith my tent.....that is, until the next morning! I (naturally) waz high and dry!

Here's a cheap alternative to a hotel room...b'side hoStels...

KOA's and many state parks have yurts and/or mini cabins you can rent on the cheap. ($25-$35)
KOA's are nice clean campgrounds, lots good security, and most have full laundrys, pools, & mini-marts right on local. A membership card is like $24, and gives you a 10% discount on every stay...which the savings can add up quickly when on a roadtrip. But the nice thing about the cabins, as opposed to a hotel room, is they're private, you can sleep 4 in beds and more on the floor, they are heated, you still get to camp...complete with a campfire , and you can park your bike quite safely right next to your cabin...(how many hotels do you feel comfortable leaving your bike outside, prone to vandals??).
Plus, then you have showers and everything else without the expense!

this is a great thread!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #194
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 338
Cheapo ground sheets

I think ground sheets are cheaper than tents--use them sacrificially to protect the tent floor from moisture, thorns, sharp gravel, bits of glass, etc. At your local Home Depot-type store you can get a roll of plastic sheet 6 mils or so in thickness--it's used as a vapor barrier in the building trades-- and cut footprints out of it for a long time. I like to add a little porch floor to the door side of the pattern so I can get in and out of my camp shoes neatly and cleanly.

If you camp in gravelly terrain you can go through a couple of these a season.

M-P
Motopapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #195
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 273
I've been m/c camping since the mid-70s, and tried many different set-ups for cooking, but what I've been happiest with for size/capability/ruggedness/convenience is the MSR internationale, which folds up small, and the smallest MSR bottle. I use a 6' length of CLEAR fuel line to fill it with gasoline. The problem with all the Coleman/Gaz style stoves is that when you get down to about 1/4 full, you have to carry 2 cylinders or buy a new one and chuck the almost empty one which defeats the "cheap" idea. I use a small non-stick fry pan and remove the handle so it packs small. I carry one small pot (have to have morning coffee) and all the misc. cooking stuff goes in there. This will all pack in a bag about 8" x8" x 5", with room for a bag of ground coffee, spices, small bottle of olive oil (used in place of butter), utensils (I pick up disposables wherever possible) and a few other things you can stuff in.

English muffins can be split up, carried, smashed, dried out (they travel well and don't spoil) and make a decent breakfast/lunch/dinner with almost any "filling" or fried lightly in olive oil. I like tortillas too, you can switch week to week.

I like to be kind-of self-sufficient tool-wise, but echoing another poster who said people are willing to help other people, my tools have done far more work on other bikes than my own, so carry specialized stuff that your machine needs (ie diode boards for airhead bmws) and basic tools. A big breakdown just means you'll have to wait for help.

Breakfast is usually about the cheapest "restaurant" meal, if you ride until about 10 or so, have a big breakfast, it will often be all you need until dinner, which can be cooked at "camp".

As far as freebies go, I only tend to help myself (reasonably) to condiments, cutlery, refills, etc. at places I'm patronizing (gas station, McD's, restaurant, etc). Anything else is kind of stealing IMO, their graciousness if nothing else.

If you can cruise through a pay campground, look for another biker(s) or perhaps a lone senior in an RV etc. Many people if asked don't mind if you share the campsite, which just cut your cost in half, plus gets you some company and the chance to chat somebody up.

I'm not naturally outgoing, but I will approach most anybody to talk or inquire if necessary. I have a friend though, who is an ex-pat Brit, who is talking and joking with anybody in sight before he gets his helmet off. He is also FRUGAL. But his attitude gets him invites to stay over, meals, baths, etc, that would fill its own book. Attitude makes a huge difference in your experience.

I like the idea of saving up underwear/socks and tossing it as you go for short trips. I'll have to try that one.

Jamie, good article, I've felt about 90% there on my camping/food/cheap routine, but there were a few new things here I'll have to try. I also like compact. When I first started, my bike (67 Harley Sprint) looked like the Beverly Hillbillies when loaded, but now I try to keep everything inside my bags, with no duffels on the bike (102L Jesses help here). So I tend to go without rather than haul all kinds of crap.
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote