User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #196
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Thumb

Great posts. I can't wait to tryem out this year. Several good ideas. Keepem coming!
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #197
LeftCoastMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Though I have no problem obtaining extra condiments or utensils from any place I frequent, I bought large sizes of kosher salt (best tasting salt ever), cracked pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Those four items will improve the flavor of anything you cook. With those items I can make Kraft's Mac and Cheese taste great. At Costco, you can get each for around $2-4, and it should last a few months at least. I really recommend this.

The best plastic utensils are found at Chipotle Grill or Baja Fresh fast food restaurants. They're made of a thicker plastic, so they actually are useful. I always pick up an extra 10 or so of forks, knives and spoons. :) I grab extra Fire Sauce from Taco Bell, whenever I go there. It sounds like I just go to pseudo-Mexican fast food, I suppose.

McDonalds has become exceedingly cheap about condiments. You have to ask for salt and pepper, and they give out a couple of each. Hardly useful.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #198
overfloater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
thermos cooking

I haven't tried it yet, but thermos cooking was suggested on another travel site regarding low budget ideas. If you google "thermos cooking" sites will appear with some useful info and some recipes.
overfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #199
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 3,998
exhaust pipe hot dogs

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #200
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosmitetom
The is always a road under a big powerline.
My 1st job after the military was to spray those highline roads with the strongest possible defoliant. The rules are different under those lines just like under our nations bridges, i.e. lead paint.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #201
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 917
For tents I found a great one, FREE! The new ones issued to the military are made by Eureka. Completely free standing, super quick setup. The rain fly (no stakes needed) is either wooland camo or desert tan. enter from either side. two way zippers so it's impossible to set up wrong. I love it. Also fits perfectly in my pelican 1500.

http://eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/tcop.html
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #202
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 431
Awesome thread, I should contribute

I paid real money for a name tent. It was light, I was never wet, and winds that knocked other tents flat didn't both me at all.

My most memorable nights on the road were spent in the company of locals. I always like to have something to give, so as to not be a parasite. In my case my Origami skills combined with my pack of paper gave the kids a real treat (this was sufficiently off the beaten track in Mexico that the women didn't even speak Spanish). I will always try and give back something.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #203
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
There is a lot of good information here.

I have a problem with the people that talk about asking for discounts that they are not entitled too, and also those who take items from fast food outlet that is more than they consumed for the meal they buy. I am sorry folks, that is stealing, plan and simple.

I have a MRS WhisperLite stove that burns the same fuel as my DR 650, reliable and puts out lots of heat. I can fix a very good meal for a dollar or two. In other words eat three meals a day for less that $6.00 with a little planning. The 1L fuel bottle for the stove is also a little extra if the bike wants it. Seasonings go a long way in making a simple dish tastier.

Public swimming pools and the YMCA are a good place to bath, after all they all tell you to shower before going into the pool. Many public beaches have showers.

I have found that the local Fire Station is a good place to ask for imformation, those guys know the area, and many ride motorcycles, so will relate to someone touring on a motorcycle.

As has been said the, closer you get to the local people, not only is the travel less costly, it is more enjoyable. If you are traveling solo you will usually meet more people than if you travel in a group.

Like the smaller the town you live in, the more people you know.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #204
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
A lot of good information here.

I have a problem with people who talk about asking for discounts that you are not entitled to, or taking more katchup, salt, pepper, whatever, than you use for the meal you buy, sorry folks that is stealing, plan and simple.

I have a MSR WhisperLite stove, burns the same fuel as my DR 650. It is reliable, and fast. I can typically fix a meal for less than $2.00.That means 3 meals a day for less than 6 dollars. Seasonings add a lot to a simple meal.
Public markets often are the best places to shop.

Public swimming pools, and the YMCA all tell you to shower before using the pool.

The local Fire Station is a good place to get information, those guys know the area, and many ride motorcycles and will relate to someone touring on one.

Typically the more contact you have with the locals the cheaper things will be.
And you will meet more people traveling solo than in a group. The person living is a small town will know more people that someone living in a city.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #205
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,498
I don't see that there's anything wrong with asking for a discount from a proprietor. They can either say yes to get the business, or no if they want to take the risk that teh customer walks. I do agree that it's wrong to push them on it, or maybe not wrong but just obnoxious...but it's not wrong to ask.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #206
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
I have a problem with people who talk about asking for discounts that you are not entitled to.
Examples, please (not of the people who talk about asking for discounts, but rather, in what specific situations would you recommend that I not ask for a price break?)
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #207
jefffrankphotography
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wisdom I learned on the road.

I ran out of gas when I was in college. I was going to see my girlfriend and didn't have much money (trying to just make it to her place). I sat on the side of the road for about twenty minutes until a guy stopped to help. I said "I ran out of gas" and he said "Great!" I was a little confused but, hey, he gave me a ride to a gas station and he even had a gas can. He paid for the gas and brought me back to my car. I filled the tank and got the car started. I handed the gas can back to him and he said "no, it's yours" I told him I didn't need it and he said "That is not my gas can. I got it from the guy who stopped and helped me so now you get to keep it until you stop and help someone else"
For the next two years I was looking for cars stopped along side the road and finally was able to get rid of that gas can!! moral of the story: always stop and help because someday it WILL be you. To this day I will always stop.

I have also heard it referred to as "trail magic"
jefffrankphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #208
juangarza
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I thought "trail magic" was only along the Appalachian Trail.
juangarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #209
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Magic or not, it's called "Pay it Forward".
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #210
Benton629
Business Casual

Oddometer: 169
What a great thread!

Benton629 is offline   Reply With Quote