Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #271
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,041
Read this thread a while back and I'm catching up on it now and figured I'd throw in a food option I hadn't seen yet. Couscous. Very simple to make in a jetboil only needs a little boiled water then sit covered for 5 minutes. Also pre-mixing seasoning packets from stuff I have in bulk in the kitchen adds no additional cost flavor. Throw in a can of tuna/chicken/salmon for some protein and it's a cheap, nutritious, filling hot meal. And the couscous, seasoning, measuring stuff, will all pack down into the 32oz container the couscous comes in. A 32oz tub of couscous will get you 14+ meals for a few bucks.

First attempt at ninja camping was totally unplanned. I was heading through Maryland taking the coastal route up north and it got late, I got tired, and it was off the highway so there were no rest stops. I tried asking for a cheap room at a hotel and was told the rate was fixed at $110(!) with a check-out time in 9 hours. I found the closest state park, the ranger station was empty and it said all sites were booked. At this point it was almost 3AM so I took a quick look figuring no one would be arriving at a reserved campsite in the middle of the night. There were plenty of empty sites. I was in the truck, no tent. Middle of summer, 70 degrees, clear skies, no bugs. I did have a blanket and a poncho. Well... I'll let the picture say the rest.

One of my best nights sleep on the road. The campers next to me looked at me a little funny but I was able to hit up the camp bathroom and play frizbee with the pup before I took off. Came in late and left early. I had every intention of paying on the way out but the ranger station was still closed.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #272
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Came in late and left early. I had every intention of paying on the way out but the ranger station was still closed.
Work it baby....WORK IT!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #273
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
I never feel bad about screwing the government out of money. Private campground--never. State campground--you betcha!
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #274
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I never feel bad about screwing the government out of money. Private campground--never. State campground--you betcha!
Hey now. I am retired CA State Parks and have a good friend that is a Park Ranger for WA State Parks. In general State Parks and not a positive revenue generator and they depend on every dollar they can get. If it is nice enough to stay in it is nice enough to pay for. One of the best things a person can do is donate to the local Park Association. Those monies are NOT state funds and can be spent wisely.

Will now put my soap box away.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #275
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Hey now. I am retired CA State Parks and have a good friend that is a Park Ranger for WA State Parks. In general State Parks and not a positive revenue generator and they depend on every dollar they can get. If it is nice enough to stay in it is nice enough to pay for. One of the best things a person can do is donate to the local Park Association. Those monies are NOT state funds and can be spent wisely.
Very good points TC...

actually...even National parks are in serious jeopardy these days. I heard they may close Glacier NP for the winter months due to budget constraints

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #276
Everett49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post

Will now put my soap box away.
So, are you saying that 100% of the money goes to the parks? If so, I agree with you. If not, are we just fattening the pensions that those of us in the private sector actually have to pay for?!
Everett49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #277
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post
So, are you saying that 100% of the money goes to the parks? If so, I agree with you. If not, are we just fattening the pensions that those of us in the private sector actually have to pay for?!
Yes Associations are financially independent of the Park(s) that they represent. The Association usually has a store in a park, a volunteer group that provide tours,... you get the idea.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #278
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thumb

Quote:
Came in late and left early.
Now I have done that myself :)
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #279
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,812
Thumb

Here's the thread for free places to camp. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

Plenty of great places with an "open invitation" from ADVrider friendly folks. All over the world.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #280
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post

Nobody's pension changes based on whether you are being honest with your campground payments.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #281
Animaltrax
~ 5150 ~

Oddometer: 15

+1

Stealth camping mantra.
Animaltrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #282
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,041
Did a 650 mile loop of the NC Outer Banks this weekend and had to post up the flip side of the ninja camping mantra. Similar circumstances as last time. Rolled into camp at 2AM, set up tent. Up with the sun and mostly packed by the time the Rangers got in at 8AM. Nobody said anything to me, I could have rolled right on out and stiffed them the $20. Something told me to stop and pay. As an added bonus the park ranger pointed me to an awesome out of the way spot for breakfast, one of the few places in the area where you can grab a meal on the ocean pier.

Something about waking up to this view made me think the National Park Service earned my $20 for their effort.

I literally rolled over, unzipped my tent, and took that picture.

Camp.

And for general information so you know where your money is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Department of the Interior
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
FISCAL YEAR 2012 BUDGET JUSTIFICATIONS
Legislation authorized 100 percent of the
revenue generated by charging fees to be
returned to the NPS, while NPS policy
established that 80 percent of the receipts
would remain at the site where it is collected
and 20 percent could be used Servicewide at
the Director's discretion. The law also
authorized the Secretary to reduce the 80% to
60% if a site had revenue that exceeded its
reasonable needs. In 2010, the NPS instituted
a number of policy changes to increase
obligations, including enforcing the 60%
reduction at some sites. Until FY 2010, the
remaining 20 percent was allocated at the
discretion of NPS Director within the FLREA
expenditure categories outlined in the above
Fee Usage section.
I'm all about saving a buck on a road trip but the quality that's consistently put forth by the Park Service is worth the camp fee if you can swing it.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #283
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Lady here, I do 100% free tent camping. So uh.

Your mileage may vary.
Mine really enjoyed sleeping in the home depot hotel... Said it was better than a tent.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #284
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Mine really enjoyed sleeping in the home depot hotel... Said it was better than a tent.
What like a shed or something?
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #285
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post

I'm all about saving a buck on a road trip but the quality that's consistently put forth by the Park Service is worth the camp fee if you can swing it.
This . . . . and I can almost always swing an extra buck or two for teh association . . . . .. the park system is one of the best things about our states and the federal guvernment.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote